Looking ahead

psk2080

Reaction score
Prior to today's game, OU's RPI was at 192...I can't remember the last time OU had such a poor RPI...this team will need to win at least 19 or 20 to get an at large I think, because I don't think outside of KU or Texas there are going to be too many quality wins left on the schedule...throw Gonzaga into that mix as well...Zona, Arkie and Utah aren't going to be quality wins, and San Diego and Houston are going to be bad losses...assuming OU doesn't have anymore bad stumbles and beats Northern Colorado, UTEP and Maryland Eastern Shore...and assuming OU loses at Gonzaga, OU will enter conference play at 10-4...let's suppose OU loses to Kansas and twice to Texas, splits with OSU and A&M and wins all others (improbable), OU would enter the Big 12 tourney at 21-9...a couple of slip ups and OU is 19-11 and 9-7 in conference play...would an OU team with that record but with a poor RPI and no real quality wins get into the NCAA tournament?

Prior to today's game, OU's RPI was at 192...I can't remember the last time OU had such a poor RPI...this team will need to win at least 19 or 20 to get an at large I think, because I don't think outside of KU or Texas there are going to be too many quality wins left on the schedule...throw Gonzaga into that mix as well...Zona, Arkie and Utah aren't going to be quality wins, and San Diego and Houston are going to be bad losses...assuming OU doesn't have anymore bad stumbles and beats Northern Colorado, UTEP and Maryland Eastern Shore...and assuming OU loses at Gonzaga, OU will enter conference play at 10-4...let's suppose OU loses to Kansas and twice to Texas, splits with OSU and A&M and wins all others (improbable), OU would enter the Big 12 tourney at 21-9...a couple of slip ups and OU is 19-11 and 9-7 in conference play...would an OU team with that record but with a poor RPI and no real quality wins get into the NCAA tournament?

Why don't you think there will be chances at quality wins? The Big XII will provide ample opportunity for those. 9-7 in conference will absolutely get an at large selection

Let's just rattle off 11 more wins in a row for good measure. We will be more talented than the 11 next teams on our schedule. Let's win em all and get to 18-3.

It doesn't seem that the Big 12 has too much quality outside of KU and UT...hence the lack of opportunities for quality wins...KU, UT and Gonzaga probably the only real opportunities on the schedule...the rest of the teams look fairly mediocre to me...

We may be in a situation where we have to win a game or two in the tournament to get an at large, but I think 9-7 would get us in. I am little confused as to why beating KSU or Tech at this point isn't considered a quality win.

We may be in a situation where we have to win a game or two in the tournament to get an at large, but I think 9-7 would get us in. I am little confused as to why beating KSU or Tech at this point isn't considered a quality win.
KSU or Tech could end up being a quality win...I'm waiting to see how they play further into the season...outside of the 3 that I mentioned earlier, they may be as good as anyone else on our schedule...

It's not that I'm pessimistic...I just think the combination of the team's youth and the surprisingly disappointing quality of the team's schedule (with Arkie, Zona and Utah not being as good as probably predicted) could make this a bit of a disappointing year when it's all said and done...

We just need to focus on the next 10 games.

Northern Colorado - W
UTEP - W
@ Gonzaga - L
Maryland Eastern Shore - W
@ Baylor - W
Oklahoma State - W
Missouri - W
@ Texas A&M - L
@ Texas Tech - W
Iowa State - W

If we go 8-2 in the next 10 games, we'll be 15-5. 20 wins should be reachable from there.

If we can beat Utah we can beat Zags. WE match up well with them.

I think it's the exact opposite. The conference is really good. I would guess that 8-8 and one win in the tournament will get someone an at large. I think there will be 6 teams minimum and possibly 8.

Don't count this team out. I wouldn't bet we will win, but it wouldn't be a huge upset or anything.

We're not going to beat Gonzaga at their place.

Why not? I think we can win. I'm not saying its more likely than not going to happen, but I'm unwilling to write it off without argument. It's too bad it has to be neutral at Spokane Arena rather than in Seattle, but I think we can certainly play well enough to win there.

Only one more pre conference loss, splitting the south and 4-2 vs. North.

Yet you have us winning in Lubbock?

Tech is hot right now, but I expect them to fade. Furthermore, that game isn't for over a month. I expect us to improve a great deal by then. Winning at Gonzaga is a rough proposition. The Zags shoot the **** out of the ball and our perimeter defense is nonexistent at times. That's just not a game this young team is ready to win.

Speaking of gonzaga, they just gave up 91 points to Davidson. They may have similar defensive problems to what we had at the beginning of the season. They may be in trouble if they think they can beat us by outscoring us.

EDIT: my bad on the KSU game, that should be a close game.

We're not going to beat Gonzaga at their place.

Gonzaga that beat Colorado by 4? We are significantly more talented. They have nobody who can keep WW and TMG in front of them.

They are a nice team but we should win.

Tech is hot right now, but I expect them to fade. Furthermore, that game isn't for over a month. I expect us to improve a great deal by then. Winning at Gonzaga is a rough proposition. The Zags shoot the **** out of the ball and our perimeter defense is nonexistent at times. That's just not a game this young team is ready to win.
Good argument. I think in the end (my Bob Stoops imitation) those games are just about the same, but listening to your argument I agree that since it's later we may have a better shot in Lubbock. Plus I don't see Tech as a team that gets significantly better, as you also pointed to.

They key for this team is the home games. OU needs to go 7-1 at home in conference. Hopefully we can have the place hopping for UT and steal that one.

Back