Mark Emmert says NCAA

He just wants Congress to do his work for him. He is a terrible “leader.”

How would you do it differently?

Seriously? The NCAA refused for years to address the issue by making the choice themselves to allow players to profit off NIL. If they had taken reasonable steps to allow kids to be compensated for things like jerseys sales, and allowed them to appear in commercials and get paid, there is a strong likelihood none of the lawsuits would have even been filed. Even once they were filed, they stupidly continued to maintain that players were not employees, and refused to change their rules to allow the things I mention above. That’s why it ended up in the courts and why there are now different laws throughout the country. Jay Bilas has written lots of excellent articles on this as not only a college basketball analyst, but a practice attorney.

Emmert is awful. Disingenuous and tries as hard as possible to not let the players see any tangible benefits.

players are NOT employees

Strongly disagree. In pretty much every sense, they are. I’d encourage everyone to read Bilas on this. I’m not saying he is flawless, but I can’t think of any other people who have been a player, coach, broadcaster, and an attorney.

Strongly disagree. In pretty much every sense, they are. I’d encourage everyone to read Bilas on this. I’m not saying he is flawless, but I can’t think of any other people who have been a player, coach, broadcaster, and an attorney.

most college athletes lose the university money ... period .. so they would be pretty terrible "employees"

Seriously? The NCAA refused for years to address the issue by making the choice themselves to allow players to profit off NIL. If they had taken reasonable steps to allow kids to be compensated for things like jerseys sales, and allowed them to appear in commercials and get paid, there is a strong likelihood none of the lawsuits would have even been filed. Even once they were filed, they stupidly continued to maintain that players were not employees, and refused to change their rules to allow the things I mention above. That’s why it ended up in the courts and why there are now different laws throughout the country. Jay Bilas has written lots of excellent articles on this as not only a college basketball analyst, but a practice attorney.

Emmert is awful. Disingenuous and tries as hard as possible to not let the players see any tangible benefits.

I'm not disagreeing. I'm just saying if Emmert's way is wrong, what is a better way to address the problem.

I'm not disagreeing. I'm just saying if Emmert's way is wrong, what is a better way to address the problem.

Got ya, and sorry if my reply came across as harsh (which it probably did, as I read it again). I think the NCAA created its own problem by not being proactive. If they had allowed the measures I mentioned, players probably would have been satisfied, and we likely wouldn't be in the position we are in, with boosters putting together NIL collectives that basically function as pay for play.

Bilas is an idiot. Time and time again he proves it.

No one ever calls him out on his BS.

OK, it's easy to call someone an idiot. What, specifically, is the flaw in his legal analysis? Have you even read his columns on this particular topic?

And in what other ways does he prove himself an idiot?

Agree. Major league douche canoe. I literally cannot stand to watch/listen to him for more than a minute, if that.

OK, it's easy to call someone an idiot. What, specifically, is the flaw in his legal analysis? Have you even read his columns on this particular topic?

And in what other ways does he prove himself an idiot?

he acts like all basketball programs make money like duke .. . he never mentions title IX and womens sports ..

So you don't like him. Ok, I guess that means he is an idiot.

Now that I read it, it seems like awful thing to say about somebody. I apologize. Let's just say I wouldn't be chomping at the bit to go 94 feet with him..

I have read some of his stuff and find some flaws. My main issue is most colleges do not run there athletic programs as business. Most are set up as education/ government. Major programs like Duke etc can operate as a business, but most of the 300 division 1 basketball do not. This makes it hard to compare flat across the board for rules on NIL. Not saying it should not be allowed, there just needs guidelines set up to take smaller schools into consideration, does not have to be equal, but fair. How to do that, I am not sure.

Another case of the government thinking about the poor players that the school is making money off of.

The elite players are the ones who will profit with any significance. No one wants to do a commercial with a player who is just average. So it is a case where the government is making the rich richer. The elite players don't need help. They are getting a free education and likely have a pro career in front of them.

Like most government initiatives the Washington mentality is to be blind to possible consequences of their actions.

If a player is recruited by Drake U how valuable will their stuff be. But the same player if elite would do much better at one of the Bluebloods. Hence, more recruiting advantage to the already bluebloods.

Just one example.

Another case of the government thinking about the poor players that the school is making money off of.

The elite players are the ones who will profit with any significance. No one wants to do a commercial with a player who is just average. So it is a case where the government is making the rich richer. The elite players don't need help. They are getting a free education and likely have a pro career in front of them.

Like most government initiatives the Washington mentality is to be blind to possible consequences of their actions.

If a player is recruited by Drake U how valuable will their stuff be. But the same player if elite would do much better at one of the Bluebloods. Hence, more recruiting advantage to the already bluebloods.

Just one example.

I guess I don’t see how any of that is unfair. If my coworker is better at his job than I am, he gets paid more. Or if his job is one that is more in demand, likewise. Yes, the starting quarterback will likely get more than the backup soccer goalie. Such is life. But also, what we are seeing is that it actually isn’t going that way all the time. The athletes who have huge social media followings are doing quite well, even if they don’t play high profile sports. Companies want to work with people who have lots of followers, and a lot of times that doesn’t correlate to who the best athlete is in the high profile sports.

most college athletes lose the university money ... period .. so they would be pretty terrible "employees"

For the universities you are correct. But as individuals they could easily make money for themselves. That has pretty much been proven. Not a ton of money and few can live off of it. That's what should have been allowed from the get go. Now the NCAA just needs to go away at this point. It took itself out of any way of actually controlling the situation.

Back