McNeace Injury

jaymOU

Reaction score
Could the trajectory of this season changed if McNeace was not injured?

The last four games before his injury he was averaging 12.2 points and 7.3 rebounds a game. This with a lackluster 5 points and 6 boards game
against Wisconsin, where he was in foul trouble.

Remove that game from the equation and he was averaging 14.3 points and 7.3 boards per game.

How would that look in the middle of the Sooners lineup?

Even if you go conservative and figure 10 and 5, along with his off-ball defensive presence, you are talking about a significant difference maker.

Too bad. It has helped the accentuate the improvement Doo has made, but I think this would have come either way. Doo, Manek and a healthy Muni would make a nice rotation up front.

Given the look of Ole Miss, pre-injury Muni would be a huge advantage for the Sooners, now I just don't think he will be that much of a factor. I hope he is, because I love his attitude and enthusiasm and his game, but the ankle just doesn't look right.

He would’ve definitely made a difference, mostly as a rim protector & where you don’t have to play freeman much.

I argued early season that Jamuni was the best player on the team, and I still believe that was true. With him healthy, I think OU would have swept West Virginia since he could have countered their size. If he actually improved over the course of the season... well, we'll never know.

A huge difference. To bad he didn’t want to get back in the lineup.

A huge difference. To bad he didn’t want to get back in the lineup.
You're not the first I've heard reference this little nugget of info. I heard he's been out to lunch, more or less, for a bit.

The injury helped Doolittle get more minutes. He, Doolittle, was the leading scorer and rebounder in 3 games, two being close wins over NW, OSU and in the victory over KU. It's a clear "catch 22" example thus the give needs to be calculated into the equation with the take.

He’s the best insider who posts regularly

Absolutely true! Vbdad is one of the best inside sources we’ve ever had. Don’t shoot the messenger, he’s just telling you why Muni is only available for brief periods. I was told several weeks ago that he has no bruising or swelling on his ankle. The injury scared him because he hasn’t been hurt before.

Jamuni is a great kid, but anyone who has watched him play the past four years should know by now that he’s just not what I would call a tough competitor. I have said more than once that if he ever develops a mean streak he could play in the NBA someday. I realized sometime ago that is never going to happen. He’s too nice and too polite to play with a “mean streak.”

Nothing wrong with that. He’s also an intelligent young man with a good head on his shoulders. I have no doubt he’ll be successful doing whatever makes him happy. It’s highly unlikely it will be playing in the NBA.

Vbdad has lots of inside info. I have none. But the reason I've been posting for months that the staff didn't mishandle the injury or rush him back is because it is pretty clear that Lon has been frustrated by the situation. Whether you love or hate Lon, I think we can all agree that he doesn't throw players under the bus. So when he says repeatedly that the ankle hasn't been causing any pain for more than two months, I believe him. I have no doubt that Muni didn't feel as explosive, but that's significantly different than being injured and truly incapable of playing. So I absolutely trust vbdad on this.

Seems weird.

So, why has he checked out? What is the deal?

He is a great kid and will do well in life. He absolutely has the talent to play professionally.
I will stick with my statement.

For whatever reason at this point he just wants to sit on the bench and laugh joke with the guys and the fans. Even when he is in the game he is looking into the stands and even pointing to guys on occasion. It is mind boggling.
As Wichita says LK never throws a guy under the bus but there have been several quotes about we will see etc. He is saying the guy was healthy physically but not ready to play.
Also a big comment by LK after getting in the dance about how we have to be ready to play and play harder etc. This is what has caused the team to be so frustrating for us. It is difficult to imagine why as a group they don't compete better.

He is a great kid and will do well in life. He absolutely has the talent to play professionally.

For whatever reason at this point he just wants to sit on the bench and laugh joke with the guys and the fans. Even when he is in the game he is looking into the stands and even pointing to guys on occasion. It is mind boggling.
As Wichita says LK never throws a guy under the bus but there have been several quotes about we will see etc. He is saying the guy was healthy physically but not ready to play.
Also a big comment by LK after getting in the dance about how we have to be ready to play and play harder etc. This is what has caused the team to be so frustrating for us. It is difficult to imagine why as a group they don't compete better.

Thanks!

as always thanks for the great info

Hard to build the right culture when you let guys behave that way. I know he isn't playing as much, but he is playing, and he is still on the team. Other kids see that. When I hear stuff like this, it's easy to see why we've been soft, not always played hard, and had chemistry issues the past 3 seasons.

Back