McNeace Injury

He is a great kid and will do well in life. He absolutely has the talent to play professionally.
I will stick with my statement.

For whatever reason at this point he just wants to sit on the bench and laugh joke with the guys and the fans. Even when he is in the game he is looking into the stands and even pointing to guys on occasion. It is mind boggling.
As Wichita says LK never throws a guy under the bus but there have been several quotes about we will see etc. He is saying the guy was healthy physically but not ready to play.
Also a big comment by LK after getting in the dance about how we have to be ready to play and play harder etc. This is what has caused the team to be so frustrating for us. It is difficult to imagine why as a group they don't compete better.

VBAD - I'd say there are several seniors on this team who don't love to compete - both in games and in the gym.

CJ shows flashes, but has he improved significantly over his career at OU? Most will argue yes, but I will say not really. Too me, he is still too heavy and too slow-footed to be a go-to guy. Just too easy to guard in the Big 12.

RO, again, shows flashes but doesn't have a right hand or a jump shot and has not been able to improve either of those skills.

I contrast these two with Buddy and Cousins - both of who seemed to improve every year.

I think LK believed he had his next 3-year starters when he landed RO and CJ and they have not lived up to expectations and thus the team has needed to be pieced together over and over again.

Maybe that's too hard on CJ and RO. I have loved watching them play for much of their career, but I feel like CJ's last-second jumper against WVU ,where his foot was on the line, was a microcosm of both he and RO's career - appears to be great, but eventually is just disappointing.

No greater insult as a man than to be called soft imo. Good luck to the millennial. Hope he figures stuff out, but he will regret this all someday prolly imo.. but maybe he just simply doesn't like it or care, and if so, he ought to have just quit. No shame in that if its just not for you

From all accounts McNeace is a great student & a wonderful person. Those to me are MUCH more important than being a soft basketball player.

I am trying to figure out what happens if a starter walks up to Coach K, Bob Knight, Tom Izzo, Kelvin Sampson, Bob Huggins, etc and pulls something like this.

Coach K would replace him with a top 50 player and never look back. Knight would kick him in the rear, choke him into submission and dare him to complain again. Izzo and Sampson would make him run laps until his ankle didn’t hurt anymore. We already know what Huggins would do. Nothing. He had his own problem with Sagada Konate.

VBAD - I'd say there are several seniors on this team who don't love to compete - both in games and in the gym.

CJ shows flashes, but has he improved significantly over his career at OU? Most will argue yes, but I will say not really. Too me, he is still too heavy and too slow-footed to be a go-to guy. Just too easy to guard in the Big 12.

RO, again, shows flashes but doesn't have a right hand or a jump shot and has not been able to improve either of those skills.

I contrast these two with Buddy and Cousins - both of who seemed to improve every year.

I think LK believed he had his next 3-year starters when he landed RO and CJ and they have not lived up to expectations and thus the team has needed to be pieced together over and over again.

Maybe that's too hard on CJ and RO. I have loved watching them play for much of their career, but I feel like CJ's last-second jumper against WVU ,where his foot was on the line, was a microcosm of both he and RO's career - appears to be great, but eventually is just disappointing.

2 guys that could’ve been better but weren’t gym rats. CJ has been very solid the past 2 years & RO was the best defender the past 3. I really thought RO would’ve been all conference after seeing him in HS, just never developed a shot or his ball handling a ton.

From all accounts McNeace is a great student & a wonderful person. Those to me are MUCH more important than being a soft basketball player.

While I agree to an extent, he is getting free college education b/c he is supposed to be a good basketball player. If he doesn't want to live up to what that means, he can go pay for school or get an academic scholarship, and let somebody that actually wants to compete play on our team.

this has been a good discussion. all really relevant. I thought CJ would be further than this. much further. and he will start to ramp up ... then he just stops. for no reason either. RO just hasn't improved much beyond the abilities he brought in the door other than his body maturing. quite an apt microcosm of their latter years here.

While I agree to an extent, he is getting free college education b/c he is supposed to be a good basketball player. If he doesn't want to live up to what that means, he can go pay for school or get an academic scholarship, and let somebody that actually wants to compete play on our team.

exactly. I like having good students and people on the team too ... but I expect all of them to be dying to play. They are there to play ball, not be good teammates.

!
No greater insult as a man than to be called soft Iimo. Good luck to the millennial. Hope he figures stuff out, but he will regret this all someday prolly imo.. but maybe he just simply doesn't like it or care, and if so, he ought to have just quit. No shame in that if its just not for you

What a tough guy statement. :facepalm

The only reason why he is a topic of discussion is basketball and not his table manners. He either let his teammates down or that is not the case. If he did indeed fail to keep his end of the bargain then it shows he is lacking.

The only reason why he is a topic of discussion is basketball and not his table manners. He either let his teammates down or that is not the case. If he did indeed fail to keep his end of the bargain then it shows he is lacking.

He has still played, been a great teammate from the bench, played almost every game for the past 3.5 years. I don’t agree that he’s not dying to get back on the court but those of you demanding tuition act like he’s quit the team and not going to practice or games.

He has for the past 3.5 years, I don’t agree that he’s not for the last .5 of the year. As I’ve said, if he wasn’t a senior I’m sure he would be processed in the off season.

He reminds me of my son...sadly. He is 6'4 200Lbs really didn't have a good coach for baseball ever. Didn't really pitch full time til Jr yr in HS..even then his HS coach sucked..

Got a couple of Juco D1 offers due to his potential, played in a summer league for college guys..actually did well. BUT he never really put the work in when push came to shove.

Played 2 yrs, pitched 7 innings...gave it up.

I've seen JM do some things on the court that showed he's just a nice kid...patting guys on the butt after fouling them, etc. Nothing "wrong" but when the other guys are trying to kick your butt...smiling and patting them on the butt doesn't seem the thing to do.

Good luck to him after the year.

Impossible to judge from afar but he always came across as the team clown. Seemed to be content being a bench jockey, sitting next to the walk-ons.

He did make improvements, especially offensively, but always seemed to lack the inner drive.

9AE8E7A5-32CB-4CBA-A1F1-6D9EA3FDBED9.jpg

In case that doesn’t show, from Jamuni’s twitter: “People love to smile to your face and talk bad about you online ‘shrug emoji’”

So which one of you saw Jamuni today and gave him a smile???

View attachment 890

In case that doesn’t show, from Jamuni’s twitter: “People love to smile to your face and talk bad about you online ‘shrug emoji’”

So which one of you saw Jamuni today and gave him a smile???

Last year I recall him doing a lot of “Jamuni” searches on Twitter

I would say this is accurate. I'd say CJ has probably worked harder but he is heavy footed.

Manyang had a difficult time but he probably knew the same guys JR Raymond did while he was in Norman.

Thanks for all the kind words.

I would say this is accurate. I'd say CJ has probably worked harder but he is heavy footed.

Manyang had a difficult time but he probably knew the same guys JR Raymond did while he was in Norman.

Thanks for all the kind words.

vbdad, do you have any confidence that Kruger will be able to turn it around with the new batch of players next year? I'm talking about an 11-7 conference type season. Not anything close to the mediocrity of the last 3 years. Be honest!

Last year I recall him doing a lot of “Jamuni” searches on Twitter

Well then this board may be safe, because Jamuni McNeace has been the toughest spelling challenge for this board :ez-laugh:

Back