NCAA Rules That Tulsa's Wheatley Must Miss First Four Games

MsProudSooner

Reaction score
I thought I remembered that players could play in exhibition games and still redshirt.

NCAA rules TU's Wheatley to miss first four games

by: ERIC BAILEY World Sports Writer
Wednesday, November 11, 2009
11/11/2009 3:24:57 PM

Tulsa's Bishop Wheatley will miss the first four games of the 2009-10 basketball season after breaking a little-known NCAA rule in November 2006.

Wheatley, in his sophomore season, played 14 minutes in two exhibition games. He didn't compete in the regular season and redshirted for medical reasons.

NCAA legislation doesn't allow non-freshman players to take part in exhibition games and redshirt in the same season.

"This was a compliance oversight and in no way was the fault of the student-athlete," TU athletic director Bubba Cunningham said. "It's extremely unfortunate that Bishop must miss four games due to this misinterpretation of the rule."

The NCAA ruled in November 2007 that Wheatley be withheld from the first four regular-season games of one season during the balance of his collegiate career. TU chose to take the penalty this year.

"It affects us," Tulsa coach Doug Wojcik said. "He's my right-hand man and does everything for us. But we'll be fine as a team.

"I feel more upset for (Wheatley) than anything. ... He's been great and unbelievable during this time, which makes it even harder for me."

Wheatley will miss home games against St. Mary's (Texas), Florida International, Arkansas-Little Rock and South Alabama.

Wojcik said Bryson Pope will start in place of Wheatley in Friday's season opener.

Copyright © 2009, World Publishing Co. All rights reserved

I'm telling you, somewhere in the NCAA offices there is a dartboard on the wall with random punishments written all over it. Or maybe they spin a wheel. There is simply no rhyme or reason as to why and how they punish various individuals.

Back