Opinions please...what does Blake going #1 last night do for OUR recruiting

SouthTXCoach

Reaction score
does it affect our recruiting in the near future and beyond?

I think it should help....
ESPECIALLY with bigs.

Worlds of good. Blake succeeding in the NBA will do even more.

And if we keep churning out lotto picks (Tiny, Willie, etc.), the snowball will begin to barrel down the hill.

It has already yielded excellent results. No longer can teams like OSU and Texas hold the fact that we haven't put guys into the league against us. It is huge!

does it affect our recruiting in the near future and beyond?

I think it should help....
ESPECIALLY with bigs.

Money can't buy the positive publicity OU has received, courtesy of an articulate home grown product who just happened to be the Player of the Year and the #1 draft pick. Think about the television coverage, magazine covers, newspapers, Internet web sites and on and on that have featured Blake Griffin. You can't talk about Blake without bringing OU into the picture.

The Sooners have been the beneficiary of hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of advertising this season, especially in the last few weeks. The best part? It was all free!

You can bet there is not a recruit in the country anywhere who is not familiar with Blake Griffin and where he went to school. The impact will be HUGE in this year's recruiting class and for many years to come.

Money can't buy the positive publicity OU has received, courtesy of an articulate home grown product who just happened to be the Player of the Year and the #1 draft pick. Think about the television coverage, magazine covers, newspapers, Internet web sites and on and on that have featured Blake Griffin. You can't talk about Blake without bringing OU into the picture.

The Sooners have been the beneficiary of hundreds of thousands of dollars worth of advertising this season, especially in the last few weeks. The best part? It was all free!

You can bet there is not a recruit in the country anywhere who is not familiar with Blake Griffin and where he went to school. The impact will be HUGE in this year's recruiting class and for many years to come.

I could not explain that better myself! Good job Ada!

No longer can teams like OSU and Texas hold the fact that we haven't put guys into the league against us. It is huge!

Amen to that, BT! Having the number 1 draft pick in this years draft is a huge recruiting card for Jeff. We no longer have to settle for 2nd tier recruits. Going after Jai Lucas sent a message to the rest of the conference. Last night we put the big boys on notice. The days of OU being recognized as just a football school are over.

:OU-logo:

I know some on this board don't put much into Taylor being drafted, but that just gives Coach Capel one more feather in his cap to tell recruits that OU had two players drafted in the 2009 NBA draft. What a tremendous job by Coach Capel to revive this program in this short amount of time. Every Sooner fan should be bubbling with joy right now. BOOMER SOONER BABY!!!:clap:OU-logo:

It is a really good thing and I think being number 1 is bigger than people realize. For the next couple of years every major recruit in America will remember that Blake was the number 1 pick in the country. If he is a dominating NBA player like many think he will be, they will remember him a lot longer. It will likely open a few doors for coach Capel. Coach Capel still has to seal the deal but this cannot possible hurt.

I don't know if it does that much because there's only few Blake Griffin type players out there. If Taylor makes it in the NBA and has a good role there he may do more because that's closer to the type of players we'll end up getting more of.

This. :clap

It has already yielded excellent results. No longer can teams like OSU and Texas hold the fact that we haven't put guys into the league against us. It is huge!

It's one player but I think it will help. But Texas and osu still hold a big advantage in that area. They may not have to use it, recruits just know these things. But it is cool for ou. It also depends on what Griffin does in the league.

I thought, and still think, that it will do wonders for OU. The first thing I thought was how many times kids would get interviewed and talk about this team puts guys in the league and that team does.....now that cannot be used against us.

The positive exposure has to help a TON....Capel does such a great job recruiting but this type of stuff makes his job that much easier. I think we are already benefitting with the sheer number of big time recruits that are mentioning OU that wouldn't have in the recent past.

It is an exciting time for OU basketball for sure!!!!

I think the biggest thing it does is that it adds a freight train worth of weight behind what Capel says to recruits. He doesn't have to be a salesman now, he just has to tell them what he envisions for their time at OU and then let them see the results other guys have had.

Just think...this year he can not only point to Blake as the number one overall pick but he can also point to Eric Maynor and Taylor Griffin as lightly recruited guys that also got drafted. Then Willie is almost certainly going to be a top-5 guy and in two or three years Tiny will have a shot.

Additionally, Capel can show that guys like Nate Carter, Longar Longar, Austin Johnson, and (hopefully) Tony Crocker make improvements in their games even though they aren't drafted. He can show a track record of on-court success and team improvement that suggests their time at OU will be worthwhile. And on top of that, while he has been here the basketball program has been exceptionally well-represented by quality student athletes.

To me, the biggest leap coaches have to make as recruiters is the difference between asking guys to believe in you and help you establish the things you know you can do vs. showing them how you can help to equip them to be successful and meet their goals regardless of where their individual talent caps out. I feel like Ryan Wright has benefitted from his time with Capel and is just as "successful" as either of the Griffin brothers in his way.

That (to me) is what makes Capel such an A+ guy for the school. Sure, bringing in the elite athletes is exciting, but the fact that he takes his role as caretaker for these young men is what makes me so proud he is our coach. And going forward, recruits and their families don't have to "trust" what he has to say. All they have to do is look at the proof...

It's one player but I think it will help. But Texas and osu still hold a big advantage in that area. They may not have to use it, recruits just know these things. But it is cool for ou. It also depends on what Griffin does in the league.

I wouldn't say that OSU holds a big advantage in that area. Texas certainly does. OU has had many more drafted all time than OSU....

The results have already come in getting Willie Warren which got TMG and Tiny. I think more and more guys are taking notice of OU because of Blake and him going #1 will help even more.

I also agree that getting two drafted in 2009 was really good for the program and recruiting.

I wouldn't say that OSU holds a big advantage in that area. Texas certainly does. OU has had many more drafted all time than OSU....

The results have already come in getting Willie Warren which got TMG and Tiny. I think more and more guys are taking notice of OU because of Blake and him going #1 will help even more.

I also agree that getting two drafted in 2009 was really good for the program and recruiting.

If we get guys that are just drafted year in and year out like a Tony Crocker next year or something. I'm saying him because he's most likely of anyone on the roster. That helps recruiting more because it says we will send players to the NBA not just the big star that came in with a ton of talent. It'll help with lets say top 3 star and most 4 star guys that can really help the program and then go to the NBA if they develop.

Well said, Ada. You certainly have a way with words. I couldn't have said it any better myself. :)

Back