OSU looked kinda sloppy to me

thebigabd

Reaction score
They played UT Arlington in the opener... on the road. They had a bunch of good stat lines but the game was messy.

Cade Cunningham had 21 and 10 in his first game... he turned it over 5 times and from what I saw didn't even really attempt to play much defense. He give up lots of open 3's on plays I couldn't even tell if he was trying.

Keylan Boone (who is the more perimeter oriented one) had a nice game... 10 points and 12 rebounds.

Likekle had 9 points, 7 assists, and 13 rebounds.

They just looked disorganized to me... They were 14-27 from the free throw line which is awful, they didn't block a single shot, they turned it over 18 times, they had 1 steal...

They destroyed UT Arlington on the boards, otherwise it's a loss. They won rebounding 54-33 and won by 7 points.

They play Texas State tomorrow, which is one of those weird mid-major "transfer" teams this year.

They are coached by Johnny Jones, and have transfers from Georgetown, Oklahoma State, Stephen F. Austin, UC Riverside, Nevada, UMASS, Samford, and Texas A&M on their team.

Dangerous game on the road for OSU.

I agree the game was “messy.” I couldn’t tell if OSU’s sloppy play was the result of first game jitters, the lack of sufficient time to develop team chemistry, or simply uninspired play against an inferior opponent?

I’ll admit that I expected to be more impressed with Cade Cunningham. I’m sure he’s a good player, but it’s not like he was dominant by any means. Let’s just say he didn’t live up to the hype in that game.

The Fighting Bill Russells!

Probably before your time, but they recruited a player from OKC named Winford Boynes (#13 pick in NBA draft). When he played for the Dons they were ranked. Soon after they were placed on probation and at least one season was cancelled before is started.

Probably before your time, but they recruited a player from OKC named Winford Boynes (#13 pick in NBA draft). When he played for the Dons they were ranked. Soon after they were placed on probation and at least one season was cancelled before is started.

They were ranked number 1 with him. Bill Cartwright was on that team. They were very talented. A few years later Quentin Dailey was a star for them. They have been down ever since.

osu will struggle at times. no scorers minus Cade and sometimes walker. others havent improved a ton IMO

They were ranked number 1 with him. Bill Cartwright was on that team. They were very talented. A few years later Quentin Dailey was a star for them. They have been down ever since.

I think Quintin Dailey was a freshman in '79-80 when we played them out there in their tournament championship. They had another guy named Guy "the Fly" Williams who would have been a sophomore (one of those loaded classes that they'd get before they got hammered by the NCAA).

OU lost that game to USF out there, by either five or seven points. OU got to that title game with a last-second win over a pretty good Utah team (they beat Louisville, the eventual national champions in '80). Raymond Whitley hit a runner with OU down one, right at the horn. My whole frat house floor went nuts when we heard that John Brooks call of the ending.

That was many moons before Eddie Sutton wound up out there to end his career. That was also 12 years before OSU suddenly became anointed as the "basketball school" in-state.

Last edited:
OU, under Lon and Capel, has always strange recruiting practices... They have no concept for the "bird in the hand" concept.. They try way too hard to land the elite talent, instead of constructing a really good team with players they could more easily land.

This leaves us with a bunch of guys who can't contribute and a pretty weak or average team.

Rondell Walker is in your backyard and you don't offer him a scholarship. Maybe you wouldn't have beaten OSU for him, but damn you at least offer him. He looks like he's going to be a damn good player.

There is a long list of totally unacceptable, nearing a point of negligence, recruiting whiffs by Lon Kruger.

OU, under Lon and Capel, has always strange recruiting practices... They have no concept for the "bird in the hand" concept.. They try way too hard to land the elite talent, instead of constructing a really good team with players they could more easily land.

This leaves us with a bunch of guys who can't contribute and a pretty weak or average team.

Rondell Walker is in your backyard and you don't offer him a scholarship. Maybe you wouldn't have beaten OSU for him, but damn you at least offer him. He looks like he's going to be a damn good player.

There is a long list of totally unacceptable, nearing a point of negligence, recruiting whiffs by Lon Kruger.

Lol. This is hilarious.

If you know you can’t get him, why waste resources of time and money on someone you can’t land?

Lol. This is hilarious.

If you know you can’t get him, why waste resources of time and money on someone you can’t land?

I don't know the history on Rondell Walker... but I was speaking in more of a broad sense about Kruger recruiting practices.

The Big ABD is realllllllllllllllllllllllll tuned into the Oklahoma High School basketball scene :D

Just gimme all the jucos you got! They're the magic ticket to hardcourt success!

Back