OU has no wins vs. teams above .500

thebigabd

Reaction score
-ULM is 3-5
-Mount Saint Marys is 3-4
-Arkansas is 4-5
-Arizona is 3-4

It is unfortunate that Arkansas and Arizona had to be so bad, because OU had them at home. Those would have been a good opportunity to get some "quality wins" for the NCAA Tournament down the road, but they probably won't count for much.

We need to win 2 of 3 versus Gonzaga, UTEP, and UTAH.

You expect the ULM's and MSM's to have losing records this time of year, but the Arkansas and Arizona records are really disheartening. I'm highly skeptical, but maybe Arkansas goes on the opposite type of run they did last year in the SEC...

The good news is that if we take care of business against Utah and UTEP, that puts us in good position to get some quality wins in conference...the Big East lived off this formula last year. I wouldn't be surprised to seea a 20-12 team get in from our conference this year.

Season is still way early. MSM could end up winning their conference and that will help. Heck, with how bad the Pac-10 seems to be this year, 'Zona could be first or second depending on the 2 Washington teams.

Colorado's wins over D-I opponents have a combined two wins over other D-I opponents.

So?

Our March resume will be built during the conference season - not on our early season exploits.

OU has only played two teams with winning records, and I think we'd beat both of them if we were to play them today.

Not sure what your point is here, bigabd.

Colorado's wins over D-I opponents have a combined two wins over other D-I opponents.

Colorado is supposed to win 6 games in the Big 12... OU is supposed to win 10 and be a lock for the tournament. Big difference.

Not sure what your point is here, bigabd.

The point is OU has not played anybody yet. We still have no idea how good the team is because nobody OU has played owns a winning record. OU played two teams with a winning record and lost both.

It will be really interesting to see how OU does against UTEP in the All-College... That will tell us how far the team has come.

Anybody who knows basketball knows how good OU will be. Listen to Penders, the announcers of the Arizona game on ESPN U and just look at the individual talent.

When the real games start OU is going to be a handful for anybody in the nation.

We started out the year not being able to guard anyone. We are now starting to play good defense. We still have work to do but it is significantly better than it was. If we continue to improve on the defensive end we will be a good team the middle of January. This team has talent in the starting five as well as good depth on the bench. That is why no one should be disappointed at this stage.

-ULM is 3-5
-Mount Saint Marys is 3-4
-Arkansas is 4-5
-Arizona is 3-4

It is unfortunate that Arkansas and Arizona had to be so bad, because OU had them at home. Those would have been a good opportunity to get some "quality wins" for the NCAA Tournament down the road, but they probably won't count for much.

ABD,
why do you say things like "its unfortunate" when continually pointing out OU's struggles? You are not fooling anybody on this board. We all know that when OU plays UTEP, Houston, Texas Tech, Colorado, etc etc etc you are rooting against OU with all your might.

Defense is just like offense though Norm. When coach is experimenting with different lineups and giving players a chance to prove they deserve minutes things will not go smoothly. Spacing will be off, help will not be consistent because the players are not familiar with each other.

All those things start to go away when he settles on a rotation. Then the talent takes over.

ABD,
why do you say things like "its unfortunate" when continually pointing out OU's struggles? You are not fooling anybody on this board. We all know that when OU plays UTEP, Houston, Texas Tech, Colorado, etc etc etc you are rooting against OU with all your might.
Speak for yourself.

Abd,

You keep taking these stat "snapshots" when they don't really matter until the end of the season (or at least until conference season). Look how much OU has changed since the Alaska trip. The non-conference season is very chaotic and dynamic. I know it is fun to play around with numbers, but I wouldn't take things for more then they are worth right now.

I really think Arizona has as good of chance as anyone to finish in the top 3 of the PAC 10. Which teams are clearly better than them? Once they get Parrom back (late Decemeber) then they will be even better. It was their first true road game against us. Remember how poor we looked @VCU, and they are a younger team than we are....

Mount Saint Marys has a good chance to win their league. I really think that Tony Hooper gives ULM a shot at a conference tournament title. Northern Colorado is 8-1 with wins over Colorado State, Hawaii, and Air Force, so hopefully they can win a conference tournament. So hopefully we can have a couple of cupcakes get auto bids.

You keep taking these stat "snapshots" when they don't really matter until the end of the season

Yea, but we are talking about right now. I know that will change down the road.

I really think Arizona has as good of chance as anyone to finish in the top 3 of the PAC 10. Which teams are clearly better than them?

California, Washington.......... yep, they could finish top 3. What a horrid conference.

Northern Colorado is 8-1 with wins over Colorado State, Hawaii, and Air Force, so hopefully they can win a conference tournament.

Wow, they may be tough. That will be a good win.

Last edited by a moderator:
You keep taking these stat "snapshots" when they don't really matter until the end of the season (or at least until conference season). .

We were having this same conversation (except opposite scenario) last year at this time...I don't see the reason it can't be discussed this year because the statistics are not in our favor.

We were having this same conversation (except opposite scenario) last year at this time...I don't see the reason it can't be discussed this year because the statistics are not in our favor.

Who said it can't be discussed? I just don't think much of it means much. You seem like a smart enough basketball guy to know that.

Of course MSM, ULM, and San Diego are going to drop a bunch of games during the non-conference. They play brutal schedules in order to fund their athletic departments. Nearly every cupcake team does that.

The two unlucky ones for the Sooners are Arkansas and Arizona, but it doesn't take John Wooden to see that Arkansas is really hurting from not having a third of their team and two of their best players, and that Arizona is extremely young, but has a lot of potential to do damage in a terrible league.

Back