Staff member
Reaction score
picture5fr.png

picture4ur.png

Re: OU-Kansas Box Score >>> SoonerSports.com

no fast break points by KU? really?

Source: SoonerSports.com

• Oklahoma shot .533 from the field in the second half and outscored No. 1 ranked Kansas 39-37 after intermission in an 81-68 road defeat.

• OU started the game 0-for-11 from the field and trailed 9-0 before freshman Andrew Fitzgerald got the Sooners on the board at the 13:26 mark. Kansas outscored Oklahoma by just four (72-68) the final 34 minutes of the game.

• Freshmen combined for 45 of OU's points, 14 of its 33 rebounds and 11 of its 14 assists.

• Fitzgerald registered career highs of 16 points and six rebounds one game after producing 14 points and five boards against Kansas State. He was 8-for-14 from the field and has now shot .500 or better in six straight outings.

• Over the last three games, Fitzgerald is averaging 13.0 points and 4.0 rebounds.

• Freshman point guard Tommy Mason-Griffin scored a team-high 17 points and handed out a game-high eight assists (the second most of his career). It marked the eighth time in the last 10 games he led OU in scoring.

• Junior guard Cade Davis finished with 13 points, eight rebounds and a season-high-tying three assists.

• The Sooners kept the Jayhawks from scoring any fast break points. OU scored eight in transition.

• Oklahoma committed nine turnovers to Kansas' six, but the Sooners scored 11 points off turnovers to KU's 7.

• OU fell to 7-9 against teams ranked No. 1 in the AP poll. Entering tonight, the Sooners had won three of their last four against Kansas when the Jayhawks were ranked No. 1.

• With its win, Kansas captured at least a share of the Big 12 regular season title. The Jayhawks won for the 58th straight time at home.

• Oklahoma returns home to face Baylor (20-6, 7-5) on Saturday at 12:30 p.m. CT.

Quotes: KUAthletics.com
Oklahoma head coach Jeff Capel
On the game:
“I thought that one thing we did all night was compete. It hurts us with the start we got off to. We got great looks we just started 0-for-9. When you come on the road against this caliber of opponent you have to be able to score the basketball. I thought that our defense in the first half was ok on everyone except Xavier Henry. He is a really good player coming off one of his best games. He certainly had a good first half. I thought the second half we did a better job defensively. Our ball screen defense let us down. We did not do a good job communicating the switch that we wanted to make in our ball screen defense until we got to a timeout. I thought after that we did a good job. I thought that it was one of the best nights as far as us executing. I thought everyone for the most part submitted to the team, because of that I think that we did some pretty good things out there. I am proud of our effort, but I would have liked to have seen us make some more shots.”

On coming back from a deficit:
“It is difficult anywhere on the road, but especially in a place like this. I thought that we were excited to play and we were a little tight early. That is what this place does to you, especially with all of the new faces that we have. We got some good looks we just missed some shots. Once we settled down we did a better job of executing. The second half we did a better job; we just dug a hole that is tough to get out of on the road especially in a place like this against an opponent like Kansas.”

On Kansas:
“I thought that we tried to battle with Kansas. I thought that we had a really good effort, but those stretches that we did not score really hurt us. They are a great basketball team. They are the best team in the country for a reason and they have a chance to win the whole thing.”

Freshman Forward Andrew Fitzgerald
On his performances as of late:

“I think I am playing very well. I am trying everyday to trim down and loose some more weight so I can try and help my team win games.”

On playing against Kansas’ Big Men:
“Everyday I try to watch as many films as I can against these guys. It is tough to be these guys; they have multiple bigs off the bench, and it is just me, Tiny[Gallon], and Ryan[Wright]. It is really hard out there, but I gave it my all and I tried my best, and that is all that matters.”

On the team struggling early:
“I think it was the anxiety, at least I was kind of nervous at first just looking at the surroundings. This is historical Kansas so I was kind of nervous. After I hit my first shot, I just started to get rolling and played from there.”

Senior Guard Cade Davis
On Oklahoma’s comeback in the second half:

“The whole game I thought we did a good job executing on offense. We were getting shots and we were getting good looks. By the second half we started knocking down shots and playing well. We gave them a little bit of a scare, but they are a good team.”

Back