||||||||||| OU vs. Texas Tech Gameday Thread ||||||||||

Sorry, but I'm not all that impressed with missing layups, missing free throws, and overall carelessness with the basketball which seems to be the theme of the entire team when you watch them play.

We get it..ou is about to put up the worst record in many of our lifetimes, but your assertions are off base, Sir. This team has incredible young talent but lacks consistent play from the point guards and bigs (the coaching has been poor, too). Our freshmen and Sophs have been the lone positive this season.

it's AMAZING. we are literally just removed from a Final Four season and people still continue to question coach Lon's methods. SMH

it's like comedy.

Last edited:
it's AMAZING. we are literally just removed from a Final Four season and people still continue to question coach Lon's methods. SMH

it's like comedy.

Jeff Capel took us to an Elite 8.

Were his "coaching skills" beyond question?

OU basketball is better than what we've put on the floor this season. Period.

I'm having lots of trouble seeing where this talent is at. If OU had so called "young talent", they wouldn't be sitting at 8-14 and staring at a 20+ loss season in the face. Now, a team with "no talent" would certainly fit that criteria and that's what OU is at the moment.
I think there are some talent on the team, but not as much as some would like to believe.

I think there are some talent on the team, but not as much as some would like to believe.

The problem is that it's not developing.

Lattin. James. Buford.

Those three for sure should be quite a bit better than they are. So is the problem that LK is recruiting kids that either don't work hard enough or don't have it in them to get better? Or is the problem that LK and his staff aren't developing them?

This fits LK's MO though. He's never been as "steady" as Kelvin was. Way more volatile in his season to season results.

Nobody expected a FF this year.....but at OU, LK should be able to recruit and develop players well enough that we aren't "out of the tournament" before the end of January.

The problem is that it's not developing.

Lattin. James. Buford.

Those three for sure should be quite a bit better than they are. So is the problem that LK is recruiting kids that either don't work hard enough or don't have it in them to get better? Or is the problem that LK and his staff aren't developing them?

This fits LK's MO though. He's never been as "steady" as Kelvin was. Way more volatile in his season to season results.

Nobody expected a FF this year.....but at OU, LK should be able to recruit and develop players well enough that we aren't "out of the tournament" before the end of January.

Is this why Lon has been a kinda of a nomad?

Lon caught lighting in a bottle with Buddy he took the heat off everyone. Woodard was moved to the 2 guard and had no pressure on him to make shots. Lattin didn't have to be tough with Spangler rebounding his ass off and be able to be a stretch four. Now where seeing how lost and soft he is with no protection. Love McGusty and Doolittle!! Odomes one trick pony play him for his drive and make him hit outside shots. It seems to happen every game, mid way through the second half when its starts to get tough and the defense picks up his wild drives looked forced and erratic. James looks lost and a little thick and step slow? No bench Jamuni is ok give a breather guy and might get you a baby hook and a block shot but gets lost and pushed around. Buford his top of the key line drive 3 and he gone. I would love to see Freeman get some more run can't hurt. Shepard beat out James Madison for his services enough said. CJ Cole.....nevermind. My 2 cents for what its worth.

Oh sorry left out Cousins his toughness, on the ball defense and a overall clutchness is missed too sorry Isaiah!!

Last edited:

now this I will potentially agree with. I personally like Lon's style on both ends of the court. But I could see that he may have issues with guys who aren't necessarily self-motivators. that may certainly be a recruiting flaw on his part.

Blake griffin took us to an elite 8 ,Jeff was just along for the ride

Correction. Blake Griffin took us to an Elite 8. Capel proved coaching alone wasn't the answer with two straight losing seasons after Blake left, one with three McDonald's AA on the roster. Capel was a great recruiter. He was not a good coach. His record at Duke in Coach K's absence seems to support that claim.

I agree with what you said about Lattin, Buford and James. I can't deny that I'm disappointed with their performance so far this season. I expected a lot more. Is all of that on the players or do you lay some of the blame on our coaching staff? Maybe a little of both. But, Odomes is light years better than he was at this time last season. Why haven't Lattin, Buford and James improved at the same rate? If I knew the answer to that question, I would be a basketball consultant, not a fan board hack posting his opinion on threads like this.

And Buddy Hield took us to the FF last year. That wasn't on Lon.

Are you really trying to compare Blake Griffins development to Buddys????

How about willie Warrens to cousins ??

I could have developed Blake .

Steve Henson and Lew Hill are gone. Lon Kruger is starting all over without these two and he is in uncharted water. It's like getting a divorce. The man is starting all over and is all by himself. Lost.

Steve Henson and Lew Hill are gone. Lon Kruger is starting all over without these two and he is in uncharted water. It's like getting a divorce. The man is starting all over and is all by himself. Lost.

At least he still has Chris Crutchfield. He lost Lew Hill who had been with Kruger for 12 years counting his UNLV days. Steve Henson had been with Kruger for 25 years.

I don't think you can fault the new assistant coaches for this years problems. They didn't recruit any of the current players. We have two players signed for next season Brady Manek kind of fell in our lap. New assistant Carlin Hartman has international experience and is probably most responsible for Hannes Polla, but Lon had a connection to His coach in Finland. Crutchfield is the primary contact for Crutchfield.

Losing assistants has nothing to do with our lone SR playing like crap for almost every game he's played in this season , not to mention missing multiple games for who knows what .
Losing assistants has nothing to do with Lattin playing like a complete idiot ,the guy just does not have it .

We literally have NO upperclassman that we can count on and the best players we have are freshman who are 3-4 year players ....not 1-2 and done Kentucky/Kansas/unc freshman

We have a great trio of mcgusty ,Doolittle,and odomes .....we just need PG and a big that doesn't look lost most of the game .

At least he still has Chris Crutchfield. He lost Lew Hill who had been with Kruger for 12 years counting his UNLV days. Steve Henson had been with Kruger for 25 years.

I don't think you can fault the new assistant coaches for this years problems. They didn't recruit any of the current players. We have two players signed for next season Brady Manek kind of fell in our lap. New assistant Carlin Hartman has international experience and is probably most responsible for Hannes Polla, but Lon had a connection to His coach in Finland. Crutchfield is the primary contact for Crutchfield.

Hanno Mottola played for Lon at Atlanta. Those of us old enough to remember Mottola, he was a pretty good player.

Back