Perspective: Looking Forward to Next Season

SoonerTraveler

Reaction score
Let’s consider what was lost and what was coming back from Lon Kruger’s second team at OU.

2012-13 .. 20-12 (11-7; 4th in Big-12) .. Lost in NCAA Round of 64

Players Lost (graduated or otherwise departed)
PPG ... Player
16.0 .. Romero Osby (Senior; 6-8; 232) .. Leading Scorer and Rebounder
11.6 .. Steven Pledger (Senior; 6-4; 219)
10.1 .. Amath M’Baye (Junior; 6-9; 208)
_5.7 .. Andrew Fitzgerald (Senior; 6-8; 238)
_5.0 .. Sam Grooms (Senior; 6-1; 203)

Players Returning
PPG .. Player
7.8 .. Buddy Hield (Freshman; 6-3; 199)
6.5 .. Cameron Clark (Junior; 6-6; 208)
5.6 .. Je’lon Hornbeak (Freshman; 6-4; 184)
2.7 .. Isaiah Cousins (Freshman; 6-3; 182)
1.1 .. Tyler Neal (Junior; 6-7; 227)
__ .. Ryan Spangler (Sophomore; 6-8; 227) .. Transfer; Did Not Play

Incoming Recruits .. Jordan Woodard; Frank Booker; D.J. Bennett

OK. None of the double-digit scorers came back from 2012-13 season. Who knew that Buddy and Isaiah would improve so much between their freshman and sophomore seasons? Who knew that Cameron Clark would excel as a senior, increasing his scoring average to 15.6 ppg, more than doubling his scoring average from his junior season. Who knew that the incoming freshman point guard (Jordan Woodard) would average 10.3 ppg his first season at OU? Who knew that Ryan Spangler would average 9-and-9 after his transfer from Gonzaga, where he barely played as a freshman? Who knew that in 2013-14, the Sooners would go 23-10 (12-6), finish 2nd in the Big-12 Conference, and go back to the NCAA tournament? Who knew how Lon Kruger could mold together new pieces into a pretty puzzle?

It is just my opinion, but I think anyone thinking NIT for OU next season is selling the OU program short. Coach Kruger has built a program, with good young players working to improve and mature, and some of these players will come into their own when their time comes. Based on Lon Kruger’s history at OU, some of the freshmen (Dante Buford, Jamuni McNease, Rashard Odomes, Christian James, Austin Grandstaff) are going to show significant improvement over the summer. Some returning upperclassman (Jordan, Akolda, Khadeem) will convert their prior game experience to improved productivity. Some newcomer (Darrion Strong, Kameron McGusty, Matt Freeman, Kristian Doolittle) will make a positive impact to the team’s success.

Folks, this year was a blast, but next year will be loads of fun also. These are good times for Sooner basketball fans. The first games of November seem so far away. As always after the last OU game, I cannot wait for the next one.

The Sooners will be OK in 2016-17. Just wait and see.

I hope the returning players learn the importance of defensive pressure and passing. If they improve in these areas, then we could get a good seeding in the tournament.

I hope the returning players learn the importance of defensive pressure and passing. If they improve in these areas, then we could get a good seeding in the tournament.

Like all teams, the OU team next season will have its strengths and weaknesses. Even a Final-4 team that wins 29 games has its "warts." ;)

We are in a much better position as this Senior class leaves than we were when they arrived. It's quite remarkable.

:OU-logo:

We are in a much better position as this Senior class leaves than we were when they arrived. It's quite remarkable.

:OU-logo:
I would agree. There is some excellent talent coming in and the returners should be motivated. I hope Lon hires some great assistants.

If Texas Tech can make the tournament this season, OU can next year.

Traveler, thanks for posting this... It's a good reminder and crazy to think about how much was lost and gained between That 12-13 season. It's gonna be fun and it's hard to think this now but perhaps the best is yet to come for LK and the Sooners.

Couple of things are different. OSU, Texas Tech, Texas, and TCU have all upgraded coaches so competition in the big 12 just got tougher and there's no one near as talented as Osby on our roster.

It appears we just have to finish top 7 in the big 12 to make the tourney so we have a good shot to make the tourney.

Couple of things are different. OSU, Texas Tech, Texas, and TCU have all upgraded coaches so competition in the big 12 just got tougher and there's no one near as talented as Osby on our roster.

It appears we just have to finish top 7 in the big 12 to make the tourney so we have a good shot to make the tourney.

I disagree. We don't have anyone that plays down low like Osby did who is as talented as him right now, but I expect Lattin will be much better next year as will Buford, Manyang, and McNeace. I also think Christian James is going to be very good and Rashard Odomes will be much improved. So, we may not have a single player as talented as Osby but the collective roster is much better than the roster Osby was on and I think we will all be surprised at Lattin's development this summer. I expect him to be a double-digit scorer and maybe Buford too.

Fact is, if Buford can figure out defense and rebounding he will be excellent. Offensively, he's as good if not better than Osby was when Osby arrived on campus even though Ro was a few years older.

I dont think Lattin has the basketball instincts to improve hugely but he will get better. Buford should be much improved. The whole front line needs to work hard on their defense and rebounding. As a group, the team will be more talented than the one Ro played with. He wanst a great defender and only a n average rebounder.

I dont think Lattin has the basketball instincts to improve hugely but he will get better. Buford should be much improved. The whole front line needs to work hard on their defense and rebounding. As a group, the team will be more talented than the one Ro played with. He wanst a great defender and only a n average rebounder.

Lon and staff feel differently so I will trust them instead of your expert opinion.

:OU-logo: :lon

I disagree. We don't have anyone that plays down low like Osby did who is as talented as him right now, but I expect Lattin will be much better next year as will Buford, Manyang, and McNeace. I also think Christian James is going to be very good and Rashard Odomes will be much improved. So, we may not have a single player as talented as Osby but the collective roster is much better than the roster Osby was on and I think we will all be surprised at Lattin's development this summer. I expect him to be a double-digit scorer and maybe Buford too.

Fact is, if Buford can figure out defense and rebounding he will be excellent. Offensively, he's as good if not better than Osby was when Osby arrived on campus even though Ro was a few years older.

Pledger, mbaye, Hield, and Clark was also on that team and next year's team doesn't compare to that team.

You expect double digits from Lattin? He's going to have to stop fouling to get that.

Lon and staff feel differently so I will trust them instead of your expert opinion.

lmao

Unless it comes to a decision you don't agree with. It's okay for YOU to question LK's sub patterns last night, and playing Walker, but not okay with somebody to question a player's upside, b/c you think you know how LK feels about it?

Funny.

I would love to go big and have Lattin at the 4.. but I just don't think he will be good enough to spread defenses or move with smaller guys. Buford I like, but if he is the starting 4 we are smaller down low than we were this year. Maybe Mcgusty or Odomes/James can help with rebounding, but it would have to be a team effort on the glass with that lineup..

As far as rebounding goes it would help to have a 6-6 guy like Odomes to be able to handle the 3. Play physical, rebound but also bring the finesse side and be able to guard guards.

Just to support what you are saying, on more than one occasion this season at Tip In Club functions, I have heard Coach Kruger state that he believes that Khadeem Lattin will be a double-digit scorer before he leaves OU. The OU coaches do, in fact, believe that both Lattin and McNease have a significant upside. I have heard this from both Coach Kruger, and from an assistant OU coach.

We shall see if the coaches are correct in their projection of player develop for these young men.

Back