Practice Report, Day 3 (10/5)

MichaelM

Reaction score
I was able to be at practice for almost two hours today. And this time I actually took notes!

Buford was on the stationary bike when I got there, and he did not participate in anything more strenuous than free throw drills. Doolittle seemed to have already hurt his foot or lower leg and was playing through it (quite well) but had to stop maybe 15 or 20 minutes after I got there. He did not participate further either.

So without those guys, the 1st team was Woodard-McGusty-Odomes-Cole-Lattin and the 2nd was Strong-Shepherd-James-Freeman-McNeace. I was surprised to see James with the second team, but that may have been just for practice reasons.

In post-up drills, before Doolittle left, there seemed to be a definite "bullying order". Lattin was getting punished by Freeman, who then got punished by Doolittle, who then got bullied by C. J. Cole, of all people. Cole had some crafty finishing moves against the freshman. For some reason I didn't mention McNeace in my notes; can't remember how he did. I do wish Lattin had gained some weight in the offseason, because he's still skinny as a rail. All of the post players except Cole seem to prefer fadeaway jumpers.

McGusty finally did miss a 3-pointer, but it took him quite a few tries. He's still automatic when not guarded.

I must temper my earlier praise of Shepherd. He has good ball skills and made some tough shots, but his lack of size makes it difficult for him to get into the lane or to play physical defense. Woodard straight abused him a few possessions with ball fakes.

Speaking of Woodard, he is as good as I expected. He was hitting his threes at a nice clip, and he had one sequence in transition drills where he went behind his back at midcourt to evade the first defender, crossed over the second one to get into the lane, and dropped off a sweet pass to Lattin for an easy layup. He plays like the veteran that he is.

Freeman's shooting could be a very useful tool down the road. He and James had a nice little high-low action going during 4-on-4 drills... Freeman was high and James was low. In transition drills he was trailing a play and his man was already waiting for him in the lane. So Strong kicked it to him at the top of the key for an easy 3, which he nailed.

I have to talk about the listed sizes of the players. Here's the roster from soonersports.com:
Code:
No.	Name			Pos.	Ht.	Wt.	Yr.	Hometown (Prev School)
0	Darrion Strong		G	6-1	180	Jr.	Chicago, Ill. (Coffeyville CC [Kan.])
1	Rashard Odomes		G	6-6	200	So.	Copperas Cove, Texas (Copperas Cove HS)
3	Christian James		G	6-4	218	So.	Houston, Texas (Bellaire HS)
4	Jamuni McNeace		C	6-10	215	So.	Kankakee, Ill. (Allen HS)
5	Matt Freeman		F	6-10	217	RFr.	Auckland, New Zealand (Westlake Boys HS)
10	Jordan Woodard		G	6-0	187	Sr.	Arcadia, Okla. (Edmond Memorial HS)
11	Kristian Doolittle	F	6-7	215	Fr.	Edmond, Okla. (Edmond Memorial HS)
12	Khadeem Lattin		F	6-9	208	Jr.	Houston, Texas (Redemption Christian Home School Academy)
13	Jordan Shepherd		G	6-2	175	Fr.	Asheville, N.C. (Asheville Christian Academy)
15	Grant Quinn		G	6-4	185	Fr.	Argyle, Texas (Liberty Christian HS)
20	Kameron McGusty		G	6-5	170	Fr.	Katy, Texas (Sunrise Christian Academy [Kan.])
21	Dante Buford		F	6-7	221	So.	Greenville, S.C. (Arlington Country Day School [Fla.])
22	Daniel Harper		G	6-1	190	Sr.	Norman, Okla. (Norman HS)
25	C.J. Cole		F	6-7	245	Sr.	Sperry, Okla. (Sperry HS)
30	Marshall Thorpe		F	6-9	235	RFr.	Tulsa, Okla. (Bishop Kelley HS)
40	Richard Anderson	G	6-2	180	Fr.	Midwest City, Okla. (Midwest City HS)

Buford and Doolittle are listed at the same height with Buford a few pounds heavier. There is no way that's true. Doolittle has him by at least an inch, and I would guess 20 pounds. I would like to see the two of them standing with Odomes, because I suspect Odomes is also taller than Buford.

And McGusty certainly looks shorter than James. But that could also be due to the fact that James is built like a football player and McGusty is a rail.

I would guess the depth chart looks something like:
PG: Woodard, Strong, Shepherd
SG: James, McGusty, Shepherd
SF: Odomes, James (in small-ball)
PF: Buford, Doolittle, Freeman, Cole
C: Lattin, McNeace, Freeman (for shooting)

But those who know basketball better than I do may have a clearer picture.

Great stuff. Thanks for sharing.

Great report, MichaelM! I think I speak for everyone when I tell you how much we appreciate your efforts on our behalf.

Much appreciated!!!

Thank you! Doolittle has a chance to be a beast.

Hate to see guys missing time. The way everybody has feet injuries these days. I wish we would quit wearing Nike basketball shoes. I know a couple of orthopedic surgeons who think they are the reason for all of the injuries. Just a lack of support in them.

Thanks for taking the time to post a great report!

I was intrigued by your "bullying" comments along with what you added about Woodard abusing Sheperd, and McGusty being a rail. I refereed 100's of HS games, so it gave me a chance to be up close and personal to things that aren't easy to see from the stands.... or TV. It enabled me to form the strong opinion that physical strength and bulk were the most underrated attribute about a player. It makes a difference being leaned on by a player that out-weighs you by 10-15 pounds and can bench press 100-200 more weight. It wears players out as a game goes on. The weaker players have problems playing defense and holding position.

Not many newcomers come in as physically ready to play as Doolittle or Christian James (and Odomes) last year.

Odomes definitely not taller than Buford unless you're counting the hair!

Her I tried my best as a 6'-4" post/4 player in HS that weighed 180lbs soaking weight. Lets see in my career I had to guard Etan Thomas, Stephen Alexander, Renzi, etc. Tried my best but at times there is just nothing you can do against the beef...

Thanks for taking the time to post a great report!

I was intrigued by your "bullying" comments along with what you added about Woodard abusing Sheperd, and McGusty being a rail. I refereed 100's of HS games, so it gave me a chance to be up close and personal to things that aren't easy to see from the stands.... or TV. It enabled me to form the strong opinion that physical strength and bulk were the most underrated attribute about a player. It makes a difference being leaned on by a player that out-weighs you by 10-15 pounds and can bench press 100-200 more weight. It wears players out as a game goes on. The weaker players have problems playing defense and holding position.

Not many newcomers come in as physically ready to play as Doolittle or Christian James (and Odomes) last year.

MichaelM's Depth chart guess is perfect.

Only grey area imo is if Freeman takes McNeace's spot. and given what another poster said the other day about Freeman's suprising ability to rebound, that may very well happen.

This season really hinges on Odomes and Mcgusty imo. and I think that Doolittle will determine a handful of games for us this season as well

Anybody know Doolittle's condition? The OU bball twitter had a 30 second clip of a scrimmage yesterday and I didn't see him anywhere. Buford either for that matter. Interesting saw McGusty running with the reds at least a little bit..

Strong was with the 1's some. Odomes with the 2's.

Back