Precedent for the turnover?

thebigabd

Reaction score
Is there a precedent for this amount of turnover on a roster, and the results the first year after? With Polla gone, this means OU turned over 8 players...

1. Aaron Calixte
  2. Miles Reynolds
  3. Christian James
  4. Hannes Polla
  5. Matt Freeman
  6. Rashard Odomes
  7. Ty Lazenby
  8. Jamuni McNease

The following players have never played in an OU uniform before:
  1. Austin Reaves
  2. Alondes Williams
  3. Jalen Hill
  4. Anyang Garang
  5. Devion Harmon
  6. Rick Isaanza
  7. Corbin Merritt
  8. Victor Iwukar
  9. *Kur Kuath (played in 6 games)

What is the precedent for this? Is chemistry and all that overrated and the only thing that really matters is there are apparent talent upgrades?

I would think the good news is.... the 3 primary returning players (Manek, Doolittle, and Bienemy) are good foundation players and experienced. Which means you are really only plugging in 2 new starters in, which is likely Reaves and Harmon. Harmon being highly rated and Reaves being a D1 transfer.

So if you think about it from just the starting 5 perspective, its 2 new guys.... The rest of the new guys are backups.

Not so bad when you think about it that way....

Kentucky turns that many over every year. It takes them time to gel, but they are usually clicking by conference season. Obviously we don't have that level of talent, but whatever chemistry issues may exist should be gone by mid year.

Reaves has been around the program an entire year already as has Kuath. I'd say any worries of chemistry issues due to newness aren't warranted with those two. With Harmon being committed for so long and making so many trips you'd have to think he's pretty well acclimated with the team already as well.

It may actually stop the trend of us starting hot & ending cold.

Now, hopefully we actually show progress throughout the season. It would really suck if we started cold & ended cold lol.

As stated before 5 main contributors will be back. Chemistry I think will be solid, identifying roles and player acceptance will be the big key. It will get sorted out but how long is just a guess. Not only for the new guys but Bienemy’s role is going to to change.

McNeace, Odomes, James and Freeman were four years guys, so there has also been more than enough stability on our roster to eliminate any concerns about turnover.

As stated before 5 main contributors will be back. Chemistry I think will be solid, identifying roles and player acceptance will be the big key. It will get sorted out but how long is just a guess. Not only for the new guys but Bienemy’s role is going to to change.

Manek, Doo, Bienemy and ??.

Manek, Doo, Bienemy and ??.

Reaves & Kur. I meant expected contributors for this coming year, I also am not sure Kur will be but I still listed him. Both were part of the program last year so the coaches know the attitude an abilities both will bring.

PG: Devion Harmon
SG: Jamal Bienemy
SG: Austin Reaves
PF: Kristian Doolittle
PF: Brady Manek

Is there really any doubt at this point that this will be the starting 5?

PG: Devion Harmon
SG: Jamal Bienemy
SG: Austin Reaves
PF: Kristian Doolittle
PF: Brady Manek

Is there really any doubt at this point that this will be the starting 5?

Little doubt from me. The only one I thought would compete for a starting spot would be Williams, but his late start (if he gets here) definitely makes it less likely.

Little doubt from me. The only one I thought would compete for a starting spot would be Williams, but his late start (if he gets here) definitely makes it less likely.

The lineup looks small, but highly skilled... Good 3pt shooters in Reaves, Bienemy, and Manek... Good mid-range games with Doolittle and Harmon. Great passing with Harmon and Bienemy.

The potential issue will be rebounding, rim protection, and defense. I don't think scoring will be a problem unless Harmon isn't ready to compete at this level yet, which is entirely possible for a true freshman. Remember... Bienemy averaged 4ppg last year. True freshman don't always light it up... In fact, they rarely do.

Baylor, West Virginia, Kansas, and Texas will be the only teams in the league with front-courts who could give OU problems... Everyone else is smaller or less skilled than OU's.

The lineup looks small, but highly skilled... Good 3pt shooters in Reaves, Bienemy, and Manek... Good mid-range games with Doolittle and Harmon. Great passing with Harmon and Bienemy.

The potential issue will be rebounding, rim protection, and defense. I don't think scoring will be a problem unless Harmon isn't ready to compete at this level yet, which is entirely possible for a true freshman. Remember... Bienemy averaged 4ppg last year. True freshman don't always light it up... In fact, they rarely do.

Baylor, West Virginia, Kansas, and Texas will be the only teams in the league with front-courts who could give OU problems... Everyone else is smaller or less skilled than OU's.

Agreed on all points. Guards are going to have to rebound really well & substitution patterns need to be based of who OU plays a bit more than in the past.

I haven't seen the news on Williams, what is this about?

Do you think moving the 3 point line back will affect the 3 point shooting? I believe it won't bother Reaves and Manek but Bienemy may not shoot as many, and he didn't shoot many 3's last year.

I haven't seen the news on Williams, what is this about?

Word is Williams is still waiting to qualify academically and it could be August before we know if he will be cleared to play this fall.

I think kur could start.

It’s still early.

Harmon could come off the bench. Him and Jamal are battling

I think kur could start.

It’s still early.

Harmon could come off the bench. Him and Jamal are battling

So who out of Manek and Doolittle goes to the bench for Kur? Because that's a clogged up toilet on offense if you try to run all 3 out there together.

So who out of Manek and Doolittle goes to the bench for Kur? Because that's a clogged up toilet on offense if you try to run all 3 out there together.

How does Manek clog things up on the offensive end? They guy spends a great deal of time behind the 3 point line.

DH or Harmon goes to bench

Back