Rank the Big 12 (8-18-2009)

thebigabd

Reaction score
I dont think we have ranked the Big 12 this month, and there has been some last minute changes and we have a little more information about scheduling, rosters, etc....

1.) Kansas Jayhawks
2.) Texas Longhorns
3.) Kansas State Wildcats
4.) Oklahoma Sooners
5.) Missouri Tigers
6.) Baylor Bears
7.) Texas Tech Red Raiders
8.) OSU Cowboys
9.) Iowa State Cyclones
10.) Colorado Buffaloes
11.) Texas A&M Aggies
12.) Nebraska Cornhuskers

-------------------------------------------------------

I don't see A&M being any good this year without Carter and Elonu. Elonu going pro was a gigantic loss and I am not a big fan of their recruiting class. Who is going to score? Davis is an 8 ppg guy, Sloan is an 8-10 ppg guy that cant shoot, Roland cant score to save his life.. Unless something surprises me, A&M will struggle.

I cant put Nebraska anywhere but last given how many new faces they have. That ranking could change if the two foreign recruits and 3 jucos pan out the way they need them to, but there is nothing certain on their roster.

OSU got Pilgrim and if he can play right away that will help tremendously. They will still be weak in the paint and I have no idea what they will look like without Eaton. Their entire team was basically Eaton last year. He created everything, he was the leader, he was their best player.

I think Missouri will surprise again and finish around 5th... They were picked 7th or 8th last year and ended up winning the Big 12 Tournament and going to the Elite 8. I dont think they will struggle much in the post with Bowers, Ramsey, Safford, Underwood, and Moore. English will MORE than make up for Matt Lawrence.

Texas Tech is going to make a dramatic move up. They have a complete roster with depth, size, athletic ability, and talent. Singletary could be a star, Roberson is a junior now, Lewandowski is a promising center, and Okorie is a big time scorer. The juco guys (Tairu, Jenkins, and Reese) are all big, athletic shooters and Pat Knight is really excited about them. Jaye Crockett is also another guy they are thrilled with. They have all the pieces to get significantly better.

Last edited:
1.) KU
2.) tu
3.) OU
4.) KSU
5.) MU
6.) OSU
7.) TT
8.) ISU
9.) NU
10.) TAM
11.) BU
12.) CU

1. KU - Not a fan, but I have to respect them this year
2. Colorado - Best SG in league (Higgins) and an Andrew Bogut like center to go along with their already great homecourt advantage mean the Buffs are going to shock the world
3. Baylor - Lace Dunn (2nd best SG in league) + the next Tim Duncan are enough to overcome Scott Drew's coaching.
4. Texas Tech - By the end of this year Mike Singletary will be known as the Texas Tech Basketball player and not as the Bears LB/49ers coach.
5. OSU - Despite the downfall of two 5'7 SGs, the Pokes are able to run people off the court with Billy like basketball and outscore many teams.
6. KSU - Wally Judge is judged to be very inconsistent as a freshman and Wildcat fans rejoice in the possible death sentences he will hand out as a sophomore.
7. OU - A lack of jucos hurt the Sooners.
8. ISU - Craig Brackins is just one man
9. Texas - Too much talent and not enough basketball doom the horns, that and Balbay suddenly thinking he can shoot the 3. What makes it worse is Rick Barnes supports the decision despite his 15% shooting from deep.
10. Nebraska - They are able to stay out of the total basement thanks to some jucos.
11. Missiouri - Unlike Texas Tech in football, it is the players not the system (40 minutes of hell) that makes the Tigers good.
12. Texas A&M - They're aggies, enough said.

2. Colorado - Best SG in league (Higgins) and an Andrew Bogut like center to go along with their already great homecourt advantage mean the Buffs are going to shock the world
3. Baylor - Lace Dunn (2nd best SG in league) + the next Tim Duncan are enough to overcome Scott Drew's coaching.
4. Texas Tech - By the end of this year Mike Singletary will be known as the Texas Tech Basketball player and not as the Bears LB/49ers coach.
5. OSU - Despite the downfall of two 5'7 SGs, the Pokes are able to run people off the court with Billy like basketball and outscore many teams.
6. KSU - Wally Judge is judged to be very inconsistent as a freshman and Wildcat fans rejoice in the possible death sentences he will hand out as a sophomore.
9. Texas - Too much talent and not enough basketball doom the horns, that and Balbay suddenly thinking he can shoot the 3. What makes it worse is Rick Barnes supports the decision despite his 15% shooting from deep.
10. Nebraska - They are able to stay out of the total basement thanks to some jucos.
11. Missiouri - Unlike Texas Tech in football, it is the players not the system (40 minutes of hell) that makes the Tigers good.

sigh.jpg

"Will it ever end?"

I dont think we have ranked the Big 12 this month, and there has been some last minute changes and we have a little more information about scheduling, rosters, etc....

1.) Kansas Jayhawks
2.) Texas Longhorns
3.) Kansas State Wildcats
4.) Oklahoma Sooners
5.) Missouri Tigers
6.) Baylor Bears
7.) Texas Tech Red Raiders
8.) OSU Cowboys
9.) Iowa State Cyclones
10.) Colorado Buffaloes
11.) Texas A&M Aggies
12.) Nebraska Cornhuskers

-------------------------------------------------------

I don't see A&M being any good this year without Carter and Elonu. Elonu going pro was a gigantic loss and I am not a big fan of their recruiting class. Who is going to score? Davis is an 8 ppg guy, Sloan is an 8-10 ppg guy that cant shoot, Roland cant score to save his life.. Unless something surprises me, A&M will struggle.

I cant put Nebraska anywhere but last given how many new faces they have. That ranking could change if the two foreign recruits and 3 jucos pan out the way they need them to, but there is nothing certain on their roster.

OSU got Pilgrim and if he can play right away that will help tremendously. They will still be weak in the paint and I have no idea what they will look like without Eaton. Their entire team was basically Eaton last year. He created everything, he was the leader, he was their best player.

I think Missouri will surprise again and finish around 5th... They were picked 7th or 8th last year and ended up winning the Big 12 Tournament and going to the Elite 8. I dont think they will struggle much in the post with Bowers, Ramsey, Safford, Underwood, and Moore. English will MORE than make up for Matt Lawrence.

Texas Tech is going to make a dramatic move up. They have a complete roster with depth, size, athletic ability, and talent. Singletary could be a star, Roberson is a junior now, Lewandowski is a promising center, and Okorie is a big time scorer. The juco guys (Tairu, Jenkins, and Reese) are all big, athletic shooters and Pat Knight is really excited about them. Jaye Crockett is also another guy they are thrilled with. They have all the pieces to get significantly better.

You're crazy ranking Oklahoma state that low. Crazy talk imo.

1. KU
2. UTerus
3. KState
4. OU
5. OSU
6. BU (don't let me down DFW)
7. ISU
----- Above denotes NCAA teams
8. Mizzou
9. A&M
----- Above = NIT
10. Tech
11. Colo
12. Nub (sorry Doc)

2515848288_ddae1beae2.jpg

1. Kansas
2. Texas
3. KSU
4. OU
5. Baylor
6. Mizzou
7. OSU
8. Iowa St
9. A&M
10. Tech
11. Colorado
12. Nebraska

Knight and Sadler get fired

The more I think about it, the more I think Mizzou will not slide too far this year. And I am hearing they are in the driver's seat for Phil Pressey now with Baylor a close second.

Here's my prediction for how they will finish and what they'll do in the postseason.

1. Kansas - Final Four
2. Texas - Elite 8
3. Kansas St - NCAA 1st round loss
4. OU - NCAA 2nd round
5. A&M - NCAA 1st round loss
6. OSU - NCAA 1st round loss
7. Iowa State - NIT
8. Baylor - NIT
9. Missouri - NIT
10. Texas Tech- None
11. Colorado - None
12. Nebraska - None

1. Kansas
2. Texas
3. KSU
4. OU
5. Baylor
6. Mizzou
7. OSU
8. Iowa St
9. A&M
10. Tech
11. Colorado
12. Nebraska

The more I think about it, the more I think Mizzou will not slide too far this year. And I am hearing they are in the driver's seat for Phil Pressey now with Baylor a close second.

I can't see Doc getting fired next season. He will have Nebraska up into the top 8 or 9 the follow year imo. That AD ought to sign him on for life. He is a really good coach that could really take them far with the right mix of players.

I haven't really followed basketball recruiting too much this summer, so I will do an official ranking of the Big 12 schools by place in the modern English alphabet.

1. Baylor
2. Colorado
3. Iowa State
4. Kansas
5. Kansas State
6. Missouri
7. Nebraska
8. Oklahoma
9. Oklahoma State
10. Texas
11. Texas A&M
12. Texas Tech

These rankings remain unchanged since last month.

I haven't really followed basketball recruiting too much this summer, so I will do an official ranking of the Big 12 schools by place in the modern English alphabet.

1. Baylor
2. Colorado
3. Iowa State
4. Kansas
5. Kansas State
6. Missouri
7. Nebraska
8. Oklahoma
9. Oklahoma State
10. Texas
11. Texas A&M
12. Texas Tech

These rankings remain unchanged since last month.

Somewhere DFWHoopster is smiling and celebrating with a cold Red Dog.

I can't see Doc getting fired next season. He will have Nebraska up into the top 8 or 9 the follow year imo. That AD ought to sign him on for life. He is a really good coach that could really take them far with the right mix of players.

yeah.

there isn't a single coach in the league that could get fired next year (barring a dave bliss situ). even w. an 0-16 season, every coach in league has enough capital to last at least one more year.

yeah.

there isn't a single coach in the league that could get fired next year (barring a dave bliss situ). even w. an 0-16 season, every coach in league has enough capital to last at least one more year.

Agreed. Knight would be the only one that I could possibly see.

arnold_pot.jpg

;)

1. OU
2. Texus
3. Kansas State
4. KU
5. OSU
6. MU
7. A&M
8. Iowa State
9. Baylor
10. Tech
11. Nebraska
12. Colorado

1. Kansas
2. Texas
3. KSU
4. OU
5. Baylor
6. Mizzou
7. OSU
8. Iowa St
9. A&M
10. Tech
11. Colorado
12. Nebraska

How does a team with Tim Duncan finish 5th?

yeah.

This, except for Pat Knight. No way Nebraska fires Doc Sadler.

However, if Pat Knight has a horrible season with the talent he has they may fire him. If they did, Tony Barbee at UTEP or Matt Doherty at SMU would be good replacements for Tech.

1. Texas
2. KU
3. KSU
4. OU
5. Mizzou
6. OSU
7. A&M
8. Baylor
9. TT
10. ISU
11. CU
12. Nebraska

This, except for Pat Knight. No way Nebraska fires Doc Sadler.

However, if Pat Knight has a horrible season with the talent he has they may fire him. If they did, Tony Barbee at UTEP or Matt Doherty at SMU would be good replacements for Tech.

Doherty has been horrible at SMU...really wish they were good because I would love to watch some college basketball in person on a regular basis.

Barbee would be a great hire for Tech, I'd fire him now and plug Tony in ASAP.

Back