Ray Penn

Dignon003

Reaction score
has got some hops.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fywkZKiN34o&feature=related[/ame]

OK now...I am a big fan of having guys from other schools as part of the board and have defended them pretty strongly in the past, but what the heck is this thread supposed to be? Its got no business here...

weaksauce.png

Is he on campus, Dignon? Any word on how he looks in the pickup games?

OK now...I am a big fan of having guys from other schools as part of the board and have defended them pretty strongly in the past, but what the heck is this thread supposed to be? Its got no business here...

Its summer and we have nothing to talk about. Its business here is some new content, new video, etc about Big 12 basketball.

If you dont want to talk about Ray Penn, come up with an OU topic. Im trying, but August is the slowest sports month EVER! :)

He is on campus but he is dinged up. Reger Dowell started out playing well but the story now is that Gulley has started to take over the PG spot.

Anyhow, it's August. The slowest month of the year.

Wow.

I'm sure the kid is a good player, but its not like he had his elbow above the rim or it was in traffic or anything like that. Basically that is a play that I'd expect 99.9% of the kids in the Rivals 150 to be able to make [Austin Johnson has a highlight tape from HS with about 15 different dunks more impressive than that].

Now if you want to say that it is impressive becuase he is short, well there you go, he is short. Doubt the oSu offense will be counting on him in the paint or running backdoor screens to set him up for lob and dunks. Still lookfing forward to he and TMG going at it for a few years; I heard that they match up very similarly with TMG being a little bit better.

Have a nice day!

Wow.

I'm sure the kid is a good player, but its not like he had his elbow above the rim or it was in traffic or anything like that. Basically that is a play that I'd expect 99.9% of the kids in the Rivals 150 to be able to make [Austin Johnson has a highlight tape from HS with about 15 different dunks more impressive than that].

Now if you want to say that it is impressive becuase he is short, well there you go, he is short. Doubt the oSu offense will be counting on him in the paint or running backdoor screens to set him up for lob and dunks. Still lookfing forward to he and TMG going at it for a few years; I heard that they match up very similarly with TMG being a little bit better.

Have a nice day!

Agree with all of this...

The unfortunate thing for OSU fans is that unless Penn's game changes 180 degrees from what I personally observed his HS "style" to be, he'll never come close to a rim unless its on a breakaway. He's rather one-dimensional...

It's just fun to see a kid that small go up two handed. Austin Johnson better have more impressive dunks, he was what 7 inches taller?

Penn and TMG might have some battles. There's some good footage of them having a shootout on youtube.

Penn has to win the starting role though, he has not done that as of yet.

http:////www.youtube.com/watch?v=vNY0wnhv3Ow&feature=related[/URL]

Ha Ha.

Not like I expect TG to have 10 assists per game based on this play either...

Last edited:
The unfortunate thing for OSU fans is that unless Penn's game changes 180 degrees from what I personally observed his HS "style" to be, he'll never come close to a rim unless its on a breakaway. He's rather one-dimensional...

I don't expect him to go to the rim off the dribble. I expect him to be behind the arc the majority of the time.

That's yesterday's news... all the latest rage is about Keiton Page's dunk this summer. Lucky for us dunk fans it was caught on tape:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpU5VeZVDBs"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HpU5VeZVDBs[/ame]

My point was that Johnson is in fact about 7 inches taller and except for a few pretty cool dunks when he was healthy was never considered by most to be "athletic" while at OU, in fact the running joke [I guess] was that he needed to eat sandwiches or something. That is why I put the over/under on in game dunks at about 5-10 per year for this kid.

That is one of the main things that seperate the really good players from the pretty good players IMHO. The really good players can get to the rim and finish in the college game like they did in HS. The pretty good players are guys like Austin Johnson (or Tony Crocker) who become catch and shoot guys in college and never really try to take it strong like they did in HS.

I don't even think it will be that many. I think you'll see some from Anderson and the post players, but you won't see that many for the guards.

Next season you'll see more when guys like Brown and Williams.

Wasn't that Xavier Henry that WW teabagged?

I don't expect him to go to the rim off the dribble. I expect him to be behind the arc the majority of the time.
Which is where he can be effective, especially in Ford's system. Personally, I prefer a PG who can/will take it into the lane...

If you dont want to talk about Ray Penn, come up with an OU topic. Im trying, but August is the slowest sports month EVER! :)

I wanted to talk about Coach Capel's public tweets, but the thread has been disappeared. OSU players work for me as a topic, though! Next I hope we can talk about just how awesome Nick Sidorakis is.

Sid only needs to be awesome enough not to screw up during his 5 minutes. He and Akol might be the victims of a numbers crunch. We are full but :ford is still recruiting guys for 2010.

So like the current Kentucky coach, Forde will run players off?

Back