Reaves draft thread

WichitaSooner

Reaction score
Just skimmed the final draft preview on the Athletic by their draft guru. It’s a 141-page treatise for anyone interested lol. Anyway, he has AR rated as his 32nd best player. Long recap of his strengths and weaknesses. He believes that if he can make open shots like he did his first two seasons in college, he can be a legit sixth man and have a really good career. He also raved about his ball handling and offensive creativity, and called him a true point guard ... which makes it all the more amusing that so many people acted as if he wasn’t a natural point guard last season.

I don’t think he is necessarily projecting that he will be drafted 32nd, this is just his personal ranking of all the draft eligible players. In any event, it was a very positive review of his game and potential.

45. Celtics: Austin Reaves, G, Oklahoma

https://www.si.com/nba/2021/07/28/n...umors-cade-cunningham-jalen-green-evan-mobley

39. Sacramento Kings - AUSTIN REAVES - Wing Oklahoma

https://nbadraft.theringer.com/mock-draft

60. IND - Austin Reaves - SG | Oklahoma

http://www.tankathon.com/mock_draft

keep in mind NBAdraft.net is a fan site .. it should not be listed with the others ..

ESPN has him at 45 and the ESPN mock is the old Draftexpress guys ie the best in the business ..

Reeves will hear his name called thursday night. Then its up to the fit with the team that takes him and how he does in summer league and camp

keep in mind NBAdraft.net is a fan site .. it should not be listed with the others ..

ESPN has him at 45 and the ESPN mock is the old Draftexpress guys ie the best in the business ..

I was just listing some mocks I've seen him in. As another talking point. Haven't seen the ESPN one. I assume it's $ and I don't subscribe. And that's a different nbadraft.net. The one I linked is The Ringer. They have a nice writeup/analysis...

SACRAMENTO KINGS

Reaves has an NBA vibe to his game. He is the type of guy who is just going to figure it out. If the Kings do indeed trade Buddy Hield, then adding another wing with a knack for scoring would make a lot of sense. Reaves is less of a knockdown shooter than Hield, but resembles a secondary shot creator they lost in 2020: Bogdan Bogdanovic.

Passionate player with a slippery shot-creating style and a knack for coming up in the clutch.

PLUSES
Smooth ball handler who has a good first step and can fluidly change direction, snaking through defenders to get where he wants with the ball. He’s not fast, but he’s shaky.

Acrobatic and physical finisher around the rim who can use either hand and mixes in soft floaters away from the basket.

Strong catch-and-shoot marksman who also hit 86.5 percent of his free throws as a senior, which bodes well for his future as a shooter. He also looked comfortable from NBA range at the combine.

Has shown potential as a consistent knockdown shooter off the dribble. Considering his overall shooting touch, it wouldn’t be a surprise if he begins knocking down 3s.

Creative playmaker who sees passing windows before they open, and he can deliver the ball using either hand from awkward angles.

Reliable off-ball defender who plays with activity and attentiveness, helping and then recovering to his own man. He’ll willingly take a charge or dive for a loose ball.

MINUSES

Tries to do too much at times by going for home run passes instead of the simple play. That’s partially due to his high-usage role, but he’ll need to prove he can adapt and minimize mistakes.

Undersized as a wing standing at just 6-foot-4 with a 6-foot-6 wingspan, so he could be limited defending larger wings and forwards.

Lacks the lateral quickness to stick with speedy guards. He could develop enough on defense to earn minutes, but lacks upside.

I had a love / hate relationship with him...lol.

I think he's a very good player. I do think the nba "pg" and college "pg" are two different things...with different emphasis / strengths but that's just my opinion.

I honestly don't watch enough nba...I'm just going off of previous years...the old MJ Bulls, Bird Celtics etc.

I do hope he gets drafted and has a long career...helluva a way to make a very good living.
(I just spent the day painting a house at 100 degrees outside...for $33 an hour....lol)

i see that now my apologies ..

and thanks for the research and the post ..

If I came off rude, I apologize.

I hope AR gets his name called. I hope it's not the Kings. With Buddy there, I've watched way too much of that organization.

Pacers would be okay. The Celtics wouldn't be bad either. Prefer the Thunder even though I'm not a huge OKC fan.

I hope AR gets his name called. I hope it's not the Kings. With Buddy there, I've watched way too much of that organization.

Pacers would be okay. The Celtics wouldn't be bad either. Prefer the Thunder even though I'm not a huge OKC fan.

Buddy about to be gone is my hope.

Buddy about to be gone is my hope.

Same

Not a fan of either the Sixers or the Lakers, but I want to see Buddy on a good team.

Would prefer to see him paired with Luka in Dallas or Trae in ATL but those are pipe dreams.

I do like Fox for SAC though. Such a fast kid.

Same

Not a fan of either the Sixers or the Lakers, but I want to see Buddy on a good team.

Would prefer to see him paired with Luka in Dallas or Trae in ATL but those are pipe dreams.

I do like Fox for SAC though. Such a fast kid.

Agree 100%.

I could see NOLA. Zion needs shooters!

Anywhere but heat Lakers or sixers.

I don't see a huge need for the Celtics. They have Smart. They have Pritchard. And they have a young PG from Israel that they like. Plus, from all accounts, if they are looking to make a trade this Summer, it's likely for somebody that can play point.

The new coach also emphasizes defense. At BEST, Reaves projects to be an average defender on PG's, with little ability to switch due to his size.

This post isn't meant as a knock on Reaves, just not sure the Celtics are the right fit.

I don't see a huge need for the Celtics. They have Smart. They have Pritchard. And they have a young PG from Israel that they like. Plus, from all accounts, if they are looking to make a trade this Summer, it's likely for somebody that can play point.

The new coach also emphasizes defense. At BEST, Reaves projects to be an average defender on PG's, with little ability to switch due to his size.

This post isn't meant as a knock on Reaves, just not sure the Celtics are the right fit.

Thanks for the knowledge on the C's roster.

I didn't know they had an Israeli PG. Pritchard is a gritty kid. Smart is their glue guy, obviously.

Where's a better fit for AR in your opinion?

Thanks for the knowledge on the C's roster.

I didn't know they had an Israeli PG. Pritchard is a gritty kid. Smart is their glue guy, obviously.

I like Memphis or Orlando. He fits nicely with the Memphis offense and can fit into the Dillon Brooks or Ja Morant role as a back-up. Memphis is looking to get rid of Tyus Jones. Wouldn't surprise me to see them trade Jones and pick up someone like Reaves as a back-up to Morant/Brook alongside Grayson Allen.

I don't follow "all" the NBA teams enough to know who a good fit is. A team that wants a developmental 3rd pg maybe. Or possibly just some of the teams that don't have a lot of roster talent, that might take a shot on him (Orlando, Detroit, even the Thunder). CLE has been rumored to be trading Sexton. If that happens, and they don't draft a PG in the 1st (unlikely), they might be looking at PG's later in the draft.

I don't follow "all" the NBA teams enough to know who a good fit is. A team that wants a developmental 3rd pg maybe. Or possibly just some of the teams that don't have a lot of roster talent, that might take a shot on him (Orlando, Detroit, even the Thunder). CLE has been rumored to be trading Sexton. If that happens, and they don't draft a PG in the 1st (unlikely), they might be looking at PG's later in the draft.

So you claim not to be taking shots at AR, but then turn around and say he is desirable only to teams who view him as a third point guard and/or have an overall lack of talent on their roster. Talk about a backhanded compliment.

So you claim not to be taking shots at AR, but then turn around and say he is desirable only to teams who view him as a third point guard and/or have an overall lack of talent on their roster. Talk about a backhanded compliment.

Even if it was, so what? For every Eduardo Najera, Anthony Bowie and Brent Price, there is a Romero Osby, Nate Erdmann and Corey Brewer. In other words, it's about 50/50 Reaves is on an active NBA roster come autumn. I don't know about you, but I'm hoping he is drafted by a team that could utilize what he brings to the table. Hopefully, everyone on this board is rooting for Reaves to succeed...but don't begrudge those who are skeptical.

Back