Reaves draft thread

not bad at all!

You have to think though with NIL if he could have gotten $100k or so by coming back and then improved his draft position. i kind of doubt it though. Just another year older

Your last point is exactly right. The biggest thing working against him IMO was his age. Coming back not only can’t fix that, it makes it worse.

I think he will spend plenty of time on the Lakers roster this season, with some trips down to the G League. Draft analysts are talking about how well the Lakers did in getting him and another undrafted guy, and I read that a couple of guys (I’m guessing AR is one) actually already had favorable two-way contracts in place before the draft ended.

Your last point is exactly right. The biggest thing working against him IMO was his age. Coming back not only can’t fix that, it makes it worse.

I think he will spend plenty of time on the Lakers roster this season, with some trips down to the G League. Draft analysts are talking about how well the Lakers did in getting him and another undrafted guy, and I read that a couple of guys (I’m guessing AR is one) actually already had favorable two-way contracts in place before the draft ended.

2 way players are only allowed to spend 45 days total in the NBA instead of the G League so it will be the other way around if he makes it until the season starts. Hopefully he will.

Read that the Lakers were interested in trading for Buddy Hield yesterday.

2 way players are only allowed to spend 45 days total in the NBA instead of the G League so it will be the other way around if he makes it until the season starts. Hopefully he will.

That is the old rule.

2 way player can play 50 games on the big team.

There are no day limits.

And they get flat pay of 1/2 the min salary. 462k

17 man roster and he is one it.

Our board always sloppily overrates our guys' nba prospects (i.e. lattin and mcneace even lol). Bummed he didnt get drafted but he will get his shot. Thats all you can ask for and seems more of a shot than hollis price got

Our board always sloppily overrates our guys' nba prospects (i.e. lattin and mcneace even lol). Bummed he didnt get drafted but he will get his shot. Thats all you can ask for and seems more of a shot than hollis price got

Yeah we had people saying Doolittle was a sure fire NBA 6th man. I loved the guy at OU but that was laughable hyperbole.

When it comes to speculation some will tend to lean heavily on the emotion. Austin will be fine and it won't be determined by what labels we apply to him or think are important for him to succeed and feel satisfied.

The Lakers worked out Reaves before the draft. Considering they had no draft picks after the Westbrook trade and they signed Reaves (and Ayayi) to a guaranteed deal right after the draft ended, filling their two two-way spots, it appears as though they wanted him last night and he wasn't just a consolation prize.

https://lakersnation.com/lakers-news-l-a-signs-oklahomas-austin-reaves-to-two-way-deal/2021/07/30/

Yup. Seems very calculated. All you can beg for at that point is real interest in you as a prospect and this is best case for him likely IMO

That is the old rule.

2 way player can play 50 games on the big team.

There are no day limits.

And they get flat pay of 1/2 the min salary. 462k

17 man roster and he is one it.

The roster is only 15. Technically he is not on the roster. If he was on the roster they would have to pay him the full rookie minimum at least. By signing him to a 2 way contract they keep him available to bring up and play but they only have to pay him half the rookie minimum. Also 2 way players are not eligible to play in the playoffs. It's a way for the team to have flexibility but it kind of screws over the player. It works out well however for a guy like Reaves who may not have any other way to get paid to play basketball.

Given the Lakers ended up with just a single pick in the draft, it seems not unreasonable to assume that they might have selected Reaves if they'd had two or three picks, so those rushing to castigate other posters for "overhyping" Reaves could be off the mark. Reaves got lots of good press leading up to the draft, so it wasn't just posters on this board who felt he'd get drafted.

And the only thing more predictable than a few posters overrating the draft prospects of Sooner players is a few other posters rushing in after the draft to call them out for it. I know which of those I find more annoying.

Last edited:
Given the Lakers ended up with just a single pick in the draft, it seems a reasonable assumption that they might have selected Reaves if they'd had two or three picks.

That seems very likely.

It doesn't matter to me if Reaves makes a roster or not... His life, not mine.

Hopefully he (and everyone else) finds what they are looking for.

I hate the Lakers with a white hot passion (Go Sonics!), but I can't imagine how cool it would be to put on the purple and gold. That's like donning Yankee pinstripes.

Good for him. Now the tough work begins.

The roster is only 15. Technically he is not on the roster. If he was on the roster they would have to pay him the full rookie minimum at least. By signing him to a 2 way contract they keep him available to bring up and play but they only have to pay him half the rookie minimum. Also 2 way players are not eligible to play in the playoffs. It's a way for the team to have flexibility but it kind of screws over the player. It works out well however for a guy like Reaves who may not have any other way to get paid to play basketball.

the roster is 17

the old system (pre covid) the 2 way player only got the NBA pay if they were up with the team and that could only be 45 days of the season .. (they were paid only while they were up with the team)

the new system they can be up with the team the entire season on the 17 man roster but they can only play in 50 games .. and either way they get the pay ..

Here's what Jay Bilas had to say about Reaves entering the draft:

“Austin reminds me a little bit of Jeff Hornacek back in the day and that's going back a ways, but I'm an old guy. When I first saw him at Wichita State in the Maui Invitational, I kinda pegged him a a shooter and he's turned out to be way more than that. He's really a combo guard that can play as a point and he's a really good defender.

“He's not a ridiculously talented athlete, where he's gonna run and jump and blow by people in that way. But he's crafty, so he can, with the ball, he can get by people with his strength and his handle and get downhill and get to his spots in the midrange. And he's got pretty decent hangtime to hit shots over defenders, from the midrange and in. He's a very good pick and roll shooter and scorer. He has a runner game, a floater game and he's a good playmaker. And he's also a good passer.

“But with his strength and his savvy, he's able to get to the free throw line. He averaged 6 or 7 attempts from the line a game and shot in the mid 80s from the foul line. So, he plays at both ends of the floor, but the fact he can shoot it, he's mature, he'll stick his nose in there and rebound. He does a lot of different things.

“But he's one of the older players in the draft at 23, so I don't think teams will be looking at him saying, 'Boy, there's a big ceiling there, big upside, he's gonna get better and better.' I think he's gonna be looked at more as you can take him and plug him in right away and what you see is what you get. I still think he can get better. It's funny how we say that stuff now, but when I was a player, back in the dark ages, everybody was 22 and 23, and they called them rookies that had a lot to learn. That's kinda weird how things have evolved.”

I hate the Lakers with a white hot passion (Go Sonics!), but I can't imagine how cool it would be to put on the purple and gold. That's like donning Yankee pinstripes.

Good for him. Now the tough work begins.

Pinstripes allows oneself to have a dislike of the Red Sox and that, in itself, can't be all bad.

They can play in 50 games but they can practice and travel with the team now.

The chances of him making a roster as an undrafted free agent are very very slim but I’ll be happy to revisit this post if he makes a roster for more than a cup of coffee. If he doesn’t he can go play in an awesome city in Europe and have a great career.

Both of the Lakers two-way guys spent significant time on the roster last year and the year before.

Back