Reaves draft thread

Two-way contracts are NOT guaranteed. AR or any player on a two-way contract can still be waived, up until like mid-January. At that time, the contract becomes guaranteed for the rest of the year. They can also be traded after 30 days.

Also, as Boulder pointed out, with the rule change for the pandemic last year, the pay is now not a function of how many days you play on the active roster- the pay is flat at $449K per year.

But the good news for AR is he is on a two way with the Lakers, who have probably the biggest two way contract with success in Alex Caruso. I also think Giannis' brother is on a two way deal with the Lakers.

https://2ways10days.com/nba-two-way-contracts-faq-70d1c9cbbe9

Last edited:
If he suits up for 45 days in the NBA, he'll make $450,000. The roster spot and the money is guaranteed with a two-way contract. He has already made the team for the 2021-2022 year.

it is just a flat 50% of NBA min pay 462k and change ..

and he can play in 50 NBA games but he can be with the team the entire season if they want him to be all practices and games ..

[TWEET]https://twitter.com/i/status/1422690307041206275[/TWEET]

I think the Lakers are a great landing spot for Reaves if he can crack the rotation. Unfortunately they added a lot of 40% 3 pt shooters this offseason, so it will be tough sledding.

He played really well, played good defense & got by his guy with ease. Made a great pass that should’ve gave them the lead late. Then made a great move to get himself a good look at the game winner. That was the 1st time I wanted a Laker win since Kobe.

I think the Lakers are a great landing spot for Reaves if he can crack the rotation. Unfortunately they added a lot of 40% 3 pt shooters this offseason, so it will be tough sledding.

I think AR went to a team that will benefit him too. The negative is if he tears it up in the G League, the Lakers control his rights and his path to the NBA is limited to the Lakers, probably on a part-time at best option, at least for this year. The positive is he gets paid a LOT more on a two-way than if he went as a FA into the G League.

I am not sure who they added that are 40% shooters. They added a lot, but no one on their roster is shooting 40% for their career. Even so, let's be honest, barring multiple injuries- which the odds may be high due to the oldest roster in NBA history- Austin is not cracking the rotation of top 7-9, and probably not getting much PT. Even if it is limited, it is still a good situation.

Finally, here is a great write-up on the Lakers site on last night's game. I know it is probably coaches speak, but a lot of positive comments from Vogel about Austin.

https://www.nba.com/lakers/news/lakers-two-way-players-make-summer-debut

I am not sure who they added that are 40% shooters. They added a lot, but no one on their roster is shooting 40% for their career.

not for the career .. .but last season ..

Bazemore 40.8 on 2.7 shots a game

Carmelo 40.9 on 4.7 shots a game

Ellington 42.2 on 6 shots a game

Monk 40.1 on 5 shots a game

Nunn 38.1 on 5.7 shots a game . .

not for the career .. .but last season ..

Bazemore 40.8 on 2.7 shots a game

Carmelo 40.9 on 4.7 shots a game

Ellington 42.2 on 6 shots a game

Monk 40.1 on 5 shots a game

Nunn 38.1 on 5.7 shots a game . .

And none of those are shooting 40% for their career, which is what I posted.

For instance, Melo is shooting 35% for his career from three. I don't think one year at 40% makes him infinitely better than what he has been for 16 years. Same with Ellington- which stat is more reliable- the 42% in 46 games, or 38% in 727 games.

Those stats do not mask that the Lakers are not a great shooting, old team with their new roster construction.

Which may benefit Austin.

Last edited:
And none of those are shooting 40% for their career, which is what I posted.

For instance, Melo is shooting 35% for his career from three. I don't think one year at 40% makes him infinitely better than what he has been for 16 years. Same with Ellington- which stat is more reliable- the 42% in 46 games, or 38% in 727 games.

Those stats do not mask that the Lakers are not a great shooting, old team with their new roster construction.

Which may benefit Austin.

Who cares about their career when talking about next season? All those guys shot very well last year & they are going to get the most wide open shots of their lives with Lebrun, AD, & Westbrook.

As mentioned, those guys were 40% 3 pt shooters last year. Not career, but there's good evidence to suggest that guys like Ellington have improved as shooters. Bazemore probably was more of a fluke year, but he's also far superior to Reaves defensively. Not to mentioned that Reaves shot below 30% at OU. Some time with Phil Handy will serve Reaves well.

AR is struggling tonight

https://www.nba.com/game/lal-vs-sac-1322100004/box-score

Edit: when I hit reply, he had 3 points. He added 4 more in 1:30 of play to end up with 7.

I watched the game. He played fine. Had some late shot clock shots and got hammered a couple of times with no foul call. Guys get 10 fouls in summer league so at some point they swallow their whistles to keep the game moving.

It’s obvious the Lakers are giving him a long tryout as a point guard. Defense was better than expected.

[TWEET]https://twitter.com/Lakers/status/1423145153447952390[/TWEET]

Notice that I didn't put the times on the schedule. Deleted the above post and making this new one.

FWIW, here is the Lakers' schedule for LV summer league

https://www.nba.com/summer-league/2021/vegas/schedule

Sunday, August 8th, 9:30 pm CT vs Suns - ESPN2

Wednesday, August 11th, 9:00 pm CT vs Knicks - ESPN2

Friday, August 13th, 9:00 pm CT vs Clippers

Saturday, August 14th, 9:00 pm CT vs Pistons - ESPN2

After every team plays four games, the two teams with the best records from the first four games will meet in the Championship Game on Aug. 17.

ESPN did a write up today on one player to watch on each team’s summer league roster. Raves was the Laker they discussed, and the writer believes he has a very good shot to end up in their rotation this season. Time will tell, but everyone who covers the draft and the league seems to think the Lakers made a very good decision to sign him.

Back