Reaves draft thread

from the Athletic

Best undrafted players ​
1. Austin Reaves (No. 32 on big board): Reaves signed with the Lakers on a two-way deal following the draft. Sources told The Athletic that Reaves turned down the ability to get drafted in order to pick his own spot after the draft.

from the Athletic

Best undrafted players ​
1. Austin Reaves (No. 32 on big board): Reaves signed with the Lakers on a two-way deal following the draft. Sources told The Athletic that Reaves turned down the ability to get drafted in order to pick his own spot after the draft.

whoa

from the Athletic

Best undrafted players ​

The understanding was between the Lakers organization and him or all teams. The former makes the most sense.

most likely his agent asked teams picking from 45-60 to not take him ..

I wonder if these teams obliged and respected the agent's request or they just had no inclination to draft Austin. We'll obviously never know.

Seems like at least 1 was going to take him

Yep, you would think so. If I’m not mistaken, the Pacers, Celtics, Spurs, Sixers, Hornets, and Nets all had individual workouts with AR and all had picks in the 40-60 picks of the second round.

With LeBron, Davis and Westbrook in fold, there is a humungous drop-off after that. As such, I like Reaves chance to make the Lakers. However, watching team after team passing on him, it brought back tense draft night memories of Ace McGhee waiting to hear his name called. I just hope Reaves NBA career turns out a lot better.

With LeBron, Davis and Westbrook in fold, there is a humungous drop-off after that. As such, I like Reaves chance to make the Lakers. However, watching team after team passing on him, it brought back tense draft night memories of Ace McGhee waiting to hear his name called. I just hope Reaves NBA career turns out a lot better.

He already made it.

He already made it.

I don’t know why people don’t understand it. He is an LA Laker with a guaranteed contract for this season. He will be active on the roster for NBA games throughout the year while also playing in the G league.

They can’t cut him right now unless they want to pay him his full contract for the year, which won’t/never happens.

I don’t know why people don’t understand it. He is an LA Laker with a guaranteed contract for this season. He will be active on the roster for NBA games throughout the year while also playing in the G league.

They can’t cut him right now unless they want to pay him his full contract for the year, which won’t/never happens.

I think some people don’t WANT to understand it because they have been adamant for two years that he isn’t good enough to be an NBA player.

I think some people don’t WANT to understand it because they have been adamant for two years that he isn’t good enough to be an NBA player.

Or perhaps most people are not familiar with the terminology involved such as "two way deal." Since the term was initially introduced did you know its meaning from the get go or did that occur thereafter, and if so, by how much?

I don’t know why people don’t understand it.
Well, I'm not Frank Layden, but the minutiae of NBA deals often eludes my grasp. The 2-way contract seems to be a new animal. Did it come about after the last round of collective bargaining?

Is Austin Reaves in a better situation today, not being drafted, than say Nate Erdmann, Corey Brewer and Isaiah Cousins, all of whom were drafted and never played a single NBA minute? What are the intricacies of his situation? By being 2-way, what rights are granted now to an undrafted player like Reaves as opposed to the three I mentioned who met the executioner's blade before Training Camp even began?

Your stance is that Reaves has made it. Has he cashed a paycheck?
Will all of this 2-way deal be paid up front? Monthly?
Will he suit up with the Lakers, their G-league affiliate, or both?
Is it like MLB where he is protected by something like a 40-man roster?

What is different about Austin Reaves today than Taylor Griffin, who spent the 2009 season bouncing back and forth from the G-league to the Phoenix Suns. Did Taylor "make" it? Has Austin?

While we're here, and since we have a board filled with front-office NBA beancounters, some other questions that have perplexed me.

What's a mid-level cap exception?
Dead money?
The value of expiring contracts?
Bird rights?

Thank you in advance for the help. In the meantime, I hope Austin Reaves becomes fantastically wealthy, but as long as he's with the Lakers I hope his team's record is toilet bowl city. Go Sonics!

Well, I'm not Frank Layden, but the minutiae of NBA deals often eludes my grasp. The 2-way contract seems to be a new animal. Did it come about after the last round of collective bargaining?

Is Austin Reaves in a better situation today, not being drafted, than say Nate Erdmann, Corey Brewer and Isaiah Cousins, all of whom were drafted and never played a single NBA minute? What are the intricacies of his situation? By being 2-way, what rights are granted now to an undrafted player like Reaves as opposed to the three I mentioned who met the executioner's blade before Training Camp even began?

What is different about Austin Reaves today than Taylor Griffin, who spent the 2009 season bouncing back and forth from the G-league to the Phoenix Suns. Did Taylor "make" it? Has Austin?

While we're here, and since we have a board filled with front-office NBA beancounters, some other questions that have perplexed me.

Dead money?
Bird rights?

Thank you in advance for the help. In the meantime, I hope Austin Reaves becomes fantastically wealthy, but as long as he's with the Lakers I hope his team's record is toilet bowl city. Go Sonics!

Yes he is in a better situation than the players you mentioned because he is under contract with an NBA team. A guaranteed contract at that. Second round picks do not have guaranteed contracts.

Dead money?
Bird rights?

He is far better off than the players you mentioned because he has a guaranteed deal. He will be paid a minimum of $81,000 ish if he suits up for zero NBA games and only plays in the G League.

If he suits up for 45 days in the NBA, he'll make $450,000. The roster spot and the money is guaranteed with a two-way contract. He has already made the team for the 2021-2022 year.

2nd round picks can play summer league, go to training camp and then get cut -- or signed to a 10-day contract or sent to the G League. But none of that is guaranteed.

Will he make an NBA roster long-term with a traditional NBA contract? Who knows. But he's got a one or two year guaranteed try-out with the LA Lakers that could make him as much as $1 million over two years. Can't ask for much more than that.

He already made it.

I don't pretend to understand the nuances of free agent NBA contracts / G-League games. I guess what I meant was whether he plays in actual games for the Lakers. There is no guarantee that happens. Obviously, we're all rooting for him, and I think he is in a great situation to earn some playing time. The rest is up to him!

Looks like a good deal for both.
Reaves can earn a decent salary and get experience even if he doesn't get a lot of call-ups and gets to stay in the states
The Lakers get a 2 year window at a low cost price to evaluate him.

I understand that undrafted rookies who sign a 2-way deal are in a safer situation than a 2nd round pick, but it shouldn’t be that way.

Back