Recruiting Question

Wait for it. Trice is a hard nosed rebounder. You guys know we could use that

We definitely could, but my worry with him is offense, which will be a major issue next year. Defensively we should be really good. Offensively, we are going to need to find shooters. Adding a guy who can't shoot a 3 and usually gets his points from rebounds seems like a liability offensively. But we shall see.

We definitely could, but my worry with him is offense, which will be a major issue next year. Defensively we should be really good. Offensively, we are going to need to find shooters. Adding a guy who can't shoot a 3 and usually gets his points from rebounds seems like a liability offensively. But we shall see.

On the other hand, counting on better shooting across the board is an iffy proposition (it's not impossible we'll see that, but there are no guarantees), so perhaps having someone who can rebound more of those missed shots and get points on putbacks is exactly what we need.

Trice looks like the role Doolittle should be in: garbage man getting 12 minutes off the bench to provide some energy and get a couple putbacks. Don't think we really need another guy like that unless Doo is gone.

Trice looks like the role Doolittle should be in: garbage man getting 12 minutes off the bench to provide some energy and get a couple putbacks. Don't think we really need another guy like that unless Doo is gone.

We need hard nosed tough mofo’s

That’s quite an assumption.

The only above average defender I see in present form is Odomes.

We had the 39th best defense last year before Trae and with Freshmen and Sophomores. WE should be at least that, if not better than that when you start all upperclassmen. Buddy, Cousins, Spangler's senior year we had the 17th best defense. Having experience usually improves your defense, even if the offense isn't much better.

We had the 39th best defense last year before Trae and with Freshmen and Sophomores. WE should be at least that, if not better than that when you start all upperclassmen. Buddy, Cousins, Spangler's senior year we had the 17th best defense. Having experience usually improves your defense, even if the offense isn't much better.

By what measure? Defense is tricky, because tempo plays an important role. Last year's team was slow, because they could not score, less possessions, less points. This season OU played faster - more possessions, more points.

I agree, Odomes and McNease (off ball) are the only great defenders I see. McGusty is not good, James lacks lateral quickness and uses his hands to make up for it, Shepard is okay. Doolittle could be good, I think and Manek needs to improve. I'd love for them to be great on D, but I have doubts.

By what measure? Defense is tricky, because tempo plays an important role. Last year's team was slow, because they could not score, less possessions, less points. This season OU played faster - more possessions, more points.

I agree, Odomes and McNease (off ball) are the only great defenders I see. McGusty is not good, James lacks lateral quickness and uses his hands to make up for it, Shepard is okay. Doolittle could be good, I think and Manek needs to improve. I'd love for them to be great on D, but I have doubts.

Adjust defense, via Kenpom. You can see how he gets those numbers here https://kenpom.com/blog/national-efficiency/

Yes, tempo and everything is taken into account.

Adjust defense, via Kenpom. You can see how he gets those numbers here https://kenpom.com/blog/national-efficiency/

Yes, tempo and everything is taken into account.

Yes I believe OU will be good defensively. Trae made OU better but was terrible defensively. Manek will get better with strength, he does things right. McNeace & McGusty still have a ways to go but I'm sure they'll develop hopefully.

I am not disappointed in OU's recruiting of players, but rather their development once stepping foot on campus as a student-athlete. Freeman was a 4* kid, and he barely sees the floor. Shepherd has regressed. Manek took a huge step back in the last half of the season (he is a frosh, so I will not hold the OU coaches accountable for him yet). Lattin never got any better while at OU, in my opinion.

I will say, if OU does not get Wilson (Harmon's teammate) next year, I will be disappointed. He is great friends with Harmon, and loves OU, as of now.

I am not disappointed in OU's recruiting of players, but rather their development once stepping foot on campus as a student-athlete. Freeman was a 4* kid, and he barely sees the floor. Shepherd has regressed. Manek took a huge step back in the last half of the season (he is a frosh, so I will not hold the OU coaches accountable for him yet). Lattin never got any better while at OU, in my opinion.

I will say, if OU does not get Wilson (Harmon's teammate) next year, I will be disappointed. He is great friends with Harmon, and loves OU, as of now.

i get what your saying here but if a kid wants to go elsewhere. It won’t be because of a lack of effort.

To add on to this post, apparently we offered 2019 Rick Issanza 7'1" C from Bella Vista. The guy has been playing basketball for 2 years. Terry Armstrong is a teammate of his, who we've offered and been recruiting for 2019 as a SG. Armstrong is a 4* player.

A google search pulled this up for Rick Issanza

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbGRx4buz30

To add on to this post, apparently we offered 2019 Rick Issanza 7'1" C from Bella Vista. The guy has been playing basketball for 2 years. Terry Armstrong is a teammate of his, who we've offered and been recruiting for 2019 as a SG. Armstrong is a 4* player.

A google search pulled this up for Rick Issanza

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbGRx4buz30

Tired of this recruiting philosophy. We go after way too many project type kids. Need more kids that are ready, even if they have a lower ceiling. Can't be recruiting projects when we're coming off seasons like the last two, IMO.

Tired of this recruiting philosophy. We go after way too many project type kids. Need more kids that are ready, even if they have a lower ceiling. Can't be recruiting projects when we're coming off seasons like the last two, IMO.

Skilled bigs are top 50 recruits and usually have offers from everyone in the country. OU tries to get those guys all the time but it’s difficult to beat out the blue bloods.

Agree...right now I don't see any prayer the team next year as currently constructed goes above .500 (and that assumes they all return which I think is unlikely). It would take monumental improvement from the returnees and Bienemy being way better than I assume he will be in order for that to change. The only chance we have to jump over .500 and MAYBE push for a 20ish type win season would be if we can somehow land 1-2 more guys that can play RIGHT NOW and be adequate B12 rotation players.

The players we have now just don't fit. The pieces don't fit together well. We have little or no offensive punch inside and we have poor, inconsistent scoring from the perimeter. We don't have good ballhandlers. And until I see it, I don't think we have very good defenders. What does this team do well? What can they do that can put them over the hump? I don't see that they do anything very well.

Having most of them back won't change that. With all of the offers going out the past few days it would appear to me that we should be ready for several transfers out. We've offered a grad transfer PG that we desperately need to get and have room for. We've offered wings that we don't currently have room for. We've offered a juco PF that we don't currently have room for. And we've offered a really tall, skinny C that we don't currently have room for.

I'm all for attrition if it helps the team become better. If the right guys leave AND we can get pieces that fit better, then I'm all for it. My fear is that guys will leave and we will end up getting pieces that either fit about the same OR fit even worse and we're stuck with them for awhile. At this point, I'd be all for taking a bunch of 1 year grad transfers and cleaning house with the roster, then doing a massive reset beginning with the 2019 class.

Where are you seeing we offered any new ‘18 players or grad transfers? I’ve not heard of Ou offering anyone eligible to play next season yet.

Back