Recruiting Question

Skilled bigs are top 50 recruits and usually have offers from everyone in the country. OU tries to get those guys all the time but it’s difficult to beat out the blue bloods.

Is there still not a big gap between the best bigs in the country and guys that have only been playing bball for 2 years? I feel like there is.

Where are you seeing we offered any new ‘18 players or grad transfers? I’ve not heard of Ou offering anyone eligible to play next season yet.

I dont think that plays out the same way. They just go over and talk to the kid. It doesn't follow all the recruiting BS. They just announce who he decides to play for.

Where are you seeing we offered any new ‘18 players or grad transfers? I’ve not heard of Ou offering anyone eligible to play next season yet.

OU definitely made an offer to Austin Trice. Kruger had an in-home visit with Aaron Calixte but I'm not sure if an offer was made.

As for Calixte, I guess offer was not a guarantee. It's just the position that we desperately need to fill with TY going pro. I assumed OU would take him if he wanted to come.

To be more accurate with my statements, OU has definitely offered some kids for 2018 and are actively recruiting others. And those kids are not just PGs. I get a lot of my information via twitter. And Jerry Meyer, for one example, tweeted out something about OU and Trice the other day. It's also been posted on twitter that OU is involved with the Evansville kid Taylor.

Isn’t the 7-footer for next year?

I hadn’t seen that we offered trice but I can get on board there. Definitely need a grad transfer pg.

OU offered the big 7 footer according to his Twitter account.

I really like Trice. I don’t know what to think about another project??? Somebody on our staff can’t seem to get enough of tall, skinny guys who are relatively new to the game. :facepalm

Tired of this recruiting philosophy. We go after way too many project type kids. Need more kids that are ready, even if they have a lower ceiling. Can't be recruiting projects when we're coming off seasons like the last two, IMO.

+1

I might feel better about these projects if our coaches were better at developing players. Jamuni is the only one who has improved the way I had hoped he would, and even he makes mistakes that reminds me he still has a long way to go to be a finished product.

We’ve offered trice and are really pushing for him. We’ve been in touch with the Maine PG and the Evansville G, both grad transfers.

2 new offers in the 7 foot C and his teammate, a SG I believe, both are 2019 recruits, correct?

Who else have we been pursuing?

We need hard nosed tough mofo’s

This is a fact!

It is going to be interesting to see how many players leave the program. There are a few who will have to make the decision about where to play next year.

Isn’t the 7-footer for next year?

I hadn’t seen that we offered trice but I can get on board there. Definitely need a grad transfer pg.

Yes. I mistakenly thought he was a 2018 kid. So many names floating around. Sorry about that.

On the other hand, counting on better shooting across the board is an iffy proposition (it's not impossible we'll see that, but there are no guarantees), so perhaps having someone who can rebound more of those missed shots and get points on putbacks is exactly what we need.

That’s exactly why I like Austin Trice. I got tired of watching tough, high-motor
bigs abuse every post player on our team last season, because they weren’t strong enough or big enough to get or keep their position inside. That’s not going to happen with Austin Trice.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/video/highlights-juco-pf-austin-trice/

If I never hear the words “stretch four” again, I’ll be happy. We found out the hard way that relying on perimeter shooters can be a risky business. I’ll take a post player like Trice over a big who can step out and make an occasional three every day and on Sunday. Guys like him killed us last season.

That’s exactly why I like Austin Trice. I got tired of watching tough, high-motor
bigs abuse every post player on our team last season, because they weren’t strong enough or big enough to get or keep their position inside. That’s not going to happen with Austin Trice.

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/video/highlights-juco-pf-austin-trice/

If I never hear the words “stretch four” again, I’ll be happy. We found out the hard way that relying on perimeter shooters can be a risky business. I’ll take a post player like Trice over a big who can step out and make an occasional three every day and on Sunday. Guys like him killed us last season.

I'll take a stretch 4 all day long. If they can rebound, even better, but stretch 4s are the way basketball is going. If you have 2 paint guys that are no threat to shoot, the defense is fairly easy. You just need a 5 guy that can box out, and the 4 guy has to be able to rebound as well.

I'll take guys like Paschall and Bridges from Nova that are offensive threats while also being able to rebound. Guys like Draymond Green or Melo as the 4 over playing 2 bigs who aren't threats. Floor spacing is key

Trice looks really good. We haven’t had a player like that in a while. LOL, did anyone notice the score of that game in the video?

We didn't find out that relying on perimeter shooters was risky business. We found out that relying on players who aren't very good is risky.

Trice looks to be athletic & to be a very poor passer. That's all I got from that video, the team they played looked like a bad high school team.

I'll take a stretch 4 all day long. If they can rebound, even better, but stretch 4s are the way basketball is going. If you have 2 paint guys that are no threat to shoot, the defense is fairly easy. You just need a 5 guy that can box out, and the 4 guy has to be able to rebound as well.

I'll take guys like Paschall and Bridges from Nova that are offensive threats while also being able to rebound. Guys like Draymond Green or Melo as the 4 over playing 2 bigs who aren't threats. Floor spacing is key

That’s just it, Matthew. OU doesn’t have a Paschall or a Bridges on their roster. Freeman was supposed to be a stretch four who could also post defenders up inside. Two and a half seasons later and he is spending more time on the bench than on the floor. Lattin was reportedly working on his perimeter shot in practice. What we saw in games didn’t leave us begging for more. Manek may be our best chance for a four who can step out and make shots from the perimeter. He just needs to add more weight to his slender frame.

Another reason I like Trice is that he is a departure from the tall, skinny recruits our coaches seem to have an obsession for lately. He’s more like the kind of players I have missed the most, Ryan Spangler and TaShawn Thomas. I couldn’t care less if he doesn’t score from behind the arc. We’ve got plenty of “designated shooters.” I want players who can bang inside and fight for rebounds and 50-50 balls, something we haven’t had nearly enough of the last two years. If they can score, I see that as a bonus.

That’s just it, Matthew. OU doesn’t have a Paschall or a Bridges on their roster. Freeman was supposed to be a stretch four who could also post defenders up inside. Two and a half seasons later and he is spending more time on the bench than on the floor. Lattin was reportedly working on his perimeter shot in practice. What we saw in games didn’t leave us begging for more. Manek may be our best chance for a four who can step out and make shots from the perimeter. He just needs to add more weight to his slender frame.

Another reason I like Trice is that he is a departure from the tall, skinny recruits our coaches seem to have an obsession for lately. He’s more like the kind of players I have missed the most, Ryan Spangler and TaShawn Thomas. I couldn’t care less if he doesn’t score from behind the arc. We’ve got plenty of “designated shooters.” I want players who can bang inside and fight for rebounds and 50-50 balls, something we haven’t had nearly enough of the last two years. If they can score, I see that as a bonus.

Sounds like the players Michigan State routinely fills their roster with.

If we have plenty of designated shooters on this team name one besides James and Manek? Also Manek and Trice are both PF's. If you have two bigs that cannot score outside the paint then the interior will be clogged and your guards cannot penetrate. Also if you have only one perimeter shooter (james) on the floor you are in big trouble. Look at the majority of the teams in NCAA tourney. Shooters and spreading the floor are the way the game is headed. Having two interior players who are Non shooters who clog the floor are not.

Last edited:
Back