Revisiting the UNC loss...

elmocarp

Reaction score
Things have been kind of slow around here and I have been thinking about this on and off for a while now so I figured it might be an interesting thread topic...

Going into the UNC game, I was very, very pessimistic about OU's chances. I thought they were the toughest draw in the entire field for OU and that they were way too talented to overcome the advantage they had in style of play. Basically, they played a style that would give OU the most trouble and they were also the most talented team in the country. So basically, I didn't hold out too much hope.

Then the game started and I don't know what it was like for anyone else, but it was brutal for me to watch. I just didn't want to see last year's team go out without competing, and that was what it felt like to watch.

Well, after the game I didn't want to talk much about it at all. I didn't want to say anything that sounded negative or anything, and I definitely didn't want to sound like a whiny, excuse-maker (Syracuse fans anyone?). So I basically didn't say anything about it.

Well, recently I had to do some pretty significant rearranging at my office and I decided to watch the game again while I worked. As you might imagine, it wound up sucking me in and I sat there and watched most of the game. So here are some observations...

The thing that really jumped out to me is that Capel really put the guys in a position to win that game. They had a great plan on defense, really holding down Hansbrough and Ellington, and though he certainly had a big impact on the game, they kept Lawson from going crazy. Danny Green absolutely killed them, not just with his productivity, but when the plays came.

Offensively, I loved some of the things Capel did. He did a lot of different things to get Blake the ball in different places and I was thrilled that he tried to use some pick and roll with Blake and Willie (though Willie wasn't quite up to it). As much as I hate to say it (because it really does sound whiny), I really think that OU was prepared and put in a position to win the game but just couldn't hit their shots. Now, to be sure, that's a major part of playing basketball and I think we all worried about what would happen if Crocker and AJ both took a night off. I was just surprised that watching it now, knowing the outcome and not being emotional about it that I came to the conclusion that Capel really had those guys ready and that they had a great plan for beating UNC.

I also decided that last season's team was one of the most snakebitten teams OU has had. They went 30-6 and had the National Player of the Year, but it was like they just were never meant to achieve big things. We all built up the stretch at the end of the year that would start in Austin, then Blake gets that freak concussion that costs us the games at Texas and against Kansas, which in turn leads to us having to suffer the indignity of Kansas getting the regular season Big 12 title after we started out 25-1 (11-0). Then, after Capel goes 5-1 against the pokes in 3 seasons, we have to suffer that sickening 1 point loss in the Big 12 tourney and watch Missou get the conference championship. Thank God for the Syracuse win, because it would have really been a lost year otherwise.

I say all this just to point out that last season's team was a lot better than I think people realize and also more than people will remember. I think most people will think of last season as the year of Blake Griffin. But Capel really did some very nice things last year in how he managed the games, managed distractions (both from success and negative stuff) and he clearly showed that he could bring guys along and get big contributions from them. As much as Blake meant to the team, I think sometimes we only give Jeff love as a recruiter and don't recognize enough his talents as a coach.

Great post. I agree with most of what you said referring to the NC game. Honestly we were out-matched but felt we had as good a shot as anyone to beat them. Turns out we played them tougher than anyone else. Had Crocker or AJ gone nuts in that game I think we would have put the fear of god in them. As it were they were able to sort of shadow Blake and it turned out as most thought it would.

On the season as a whole you are once again right on. Although OU enjoyed a fairly bright spotlight for most of the year we some how fell behind KU for the Big12 crown and came up short in the conference tourney. Losing to Syracuse would have been a sad sad outcome but nonetheless we shined when it mattered and OU became a household name somehow along the way anyway. So in short it was a fantastic season with a tremendous yet predictable ending.

One thing is for sure, Jeff Capel is the real deal in Norman. I believe in chemistry and I think the right combinations are required for perfection to take place. Jeff Capel may be the perfect fit at the perfect time at OU. While Blake Griffin may be EVEN MORE beastly than any of us realize it's easy to see who the biggest beast on that OU bench is right now. OU basketball is rolling and I believe we 'ain't seen nothing' yet.

I agree, Capel did the best he could in that game. Willie and Blake were really the only OU players that were in the same league as all the NBA talent on that UNC team and it showed. (Maybe Patillo)

But I was glad that they showed up, Blake outplayed Hansbrough and they had some highlights.

I still think if we played that UNC team 10 times we would lose 9 or 10 of them. They were loaded.

I think 97% of the fans would agree with you, Elmo. Making the Elite 8 with TC and AJ was quite an accomplishment. Jeff didn't have enough firepower to have a legitimate shot at beating NC. He needed another Syracuse type game out of Crocker and most people knew that wasn't going to happen. That's why it's important to have 4 guys on the court that can shoot the basketball. It's a lot easier for opposing defenses to play 5 on 2 basketball. This year, if the young guys live up to their billing, shooting the rock will not be a problem. DEFENSE! DEFENSE!

:jcapel
:billy2849:

That's why it's important to have 4 guys on the court that can shoot the basketball.

A couple of points:

1. Capel had 2 recruiting classes, and still couldn't recruit somebody to start over AJ, Crocker, and Taylor. So either they aren't half as bad as YOU think they are, or Capel isn't as good of a recruiter as you say he is. And guess what, if those three guys returned this year, two of them would be starting, even with the incoming talent.

2. Don't attack AJ and Crocker, and leave Taylor alone. Taylor belongs smack dab in the middle of that conversation. Still find it funny you attack two four year starters.

3. Which threesome is better: White(sr), Alexander(fr), Gilbert/Brown(soph/jr) .....or.....AJ(sr), Crocker(jr), Taylor(sr)?

The best comment on that game that I heard was from Norm Hitzges of the Ticket in Dallas. After going on and on about how great Griffin was, he said, "Oklahoma had the best player on the court in that game. And North Carolina probably had numbers 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, and 8."

We were just outmanned, as was everyone else who played UNC. There was no way we could have beaten them, and there is no shame in losing to them.

Elmo that post was right on point. You just aren't going to beat anybody shooting the way we did. I think another thing that proves your point is the fact that we shot horrible and only lost to the National Champions by 12. Coach Capel did have a very good game plan. The two factors that really hurt us was the shooting and the excellent game that Green had. Elmo you are in the wrong line of work. Your analysis of most of our games are awesome to read and very good. NICE POST! BOOMER SOONER BABY!!!

Tu, Why does it seem like you're pitting players that the former coach recruited vs. players that Coach Capel recruited? You can say and believe what you want, but everyone on this board knows that Coach Capel has done an excellent recruiting job. I'll give you a new spin. How about taking notice of how much better Austin and Taylor improved under Coach Capel. Please give it a rest man! Geez. BOOMER SOONER BABY!!!:jcapel

1. Capel had 2 recruiting classes, and still couldn't recruit somebody to start over AJ, Crocker, and Taylor. So either they aren't half as bad as YOU think they are, or Capel isn't as good of a recruiter as you say he is. And guess what, if those three guys returned this year, two of them would be starting, even with the incoming talent.

What? :confused:
I don't get this at all.

Tu, Why does it seem like you're pitting players that the former coach recruited vs. players that Coach Capel recruited?

Comments like these are why the "Capel/Kelvin" stuff can't be let go.

Here is who I compared, and who recruited them:

White - Kelvin
Alexander - Kelvin
Brown - Kelvin
Gilbert - Kelvin
AJ - Kelvin
Crocker - Kelvin
Taylor - Kelvin

See anything in common there?

What? :confused:
I don't get this at all.

It isn't that hard. If those three players are TERRIBLE, which is what some here would lead you to believe, then Capel did a TERRIBLE job of recruiting. He had two full classes to recruit somebody to start over those guys, and didn't do it. So is Capel not that great of a recruiter? Or are those players quite a bit better than some here would admit? I lean towards the latter.

tu you're right, but who always starts this? You can't let go. The former coach is gone. Our team and our program are doing just great. We have a young vibrant coach, who can recruit and coach the game. Plus just about everyone in the country knows the great job the he has done reviving Oklahoma basketball. The little things that you try to bring up are very laughable. Just keep watching sir. Pretty soon you will have to suck it up and get on board. :boomer :sooner BABY!!!

It isn't that hard. If those three players are TERRIBLE, which is what some here would lead you to believe, then Capel did a TERRIBLE job of recruiting. He had two full classes to recruit somebody to start over those guys, and didn't do it. So is Capel not that great of a recruiter? Or are those players quite a bit better than some here would admit? I lean towards the latter.

Whoever said Taylor Griffin was TERRIBLE? Who ever said Tony Crocker was TERRIBLE? And with all the flak AJ has received over the years he wasn't TERRIBLE as a senior starter. I mean come 'on.
For someone to even suggest Capel has done anything but a fantastic job of recruiting is silly. For anyone to suggest that someone said ALL 3 of those guys are TERRIBLE is silly. I don't know what your agenda is but last year was a fantastic year in OU hoops and this year is going to be a fun year and recruiting is at place it's never been so whattup with all the negativity?
Do you need a hug?

Whoever said Taylor Griffin was TERRIBLE? Who ever said Tony Crocker was TERRIBLE? And with all the flak AJ has received over the years he wasn't TERRIBLE as a senior starter. I mean come 'on.
For someone to even suggest Capel has done anything but a fantastic job of recruiting is silly. For anyone to suggest that someone said ALL 3 of those guys are TERRIBLE is silly. I don't know what your agenda is but last year was a fantastic year in OU hoops and this year is going to be a fun year and recruiting is at place it's never been so whattup with all the negativity?
Do you need a hug?

The only negative thing I've said, and yes, thing is singular, in the last several months, is that Capel needs his secondary players, the ones HE has recruited, to start panning out. That is it. And that isn't really negative, b/c I expect them to, starting with guys like Pledger and Fitz.

tu you're right, but who always starts this? You can't let go. The former coach is gone. Our team and our program are doing just great. We have a young vibrant coach, who can recruit and coach the game. Plus just about everyone in the country knows the great job the he has done reviving Oklahoma basketball. The little things that you try to bring up are very laughable. Just keep watching sir. Pretty soon you will have to suck it up and get on board. :boomer :sooner BABY!!!

I'm on board. Have been since the minute it came out that he was going to be our coach.

Good try though.

The only negative thing I've said, and yes, thing is singular, in the last several months, is that Capel needs his secondary players, the ones HE has recruited, to start panning out. That is it. And that isn't really negative, b/c I expect them to, starting with guys like Pledger and Fitz.

Who's to say they haven't panned out? This coming season will be the first year he has recruits of his that are upperclassmen. That is when secondary players typically "pan out". Secondary guys usually don't come in and are great right away....especially when the coach is bringing in MCDAA's left and right. You aren't being fair to Capel. I wonder why?
Cade Davis will be a very solid player this year watch.
Capel has done and unbelievable job of recruiting considering the crap he was left with. I can't imagine it being any better.

Suck it up and get on board tu. You'll have to do it SOONER rather than later. BOOMER SOONER BABY!!!:chestram2:

I agree with this... Secondary guys like Davis, Willis, and Orlando need to be much improved this year. I dont expect much out of Pledger and Fitz this year, but the above mentioned guys have been around awhile and will be expected to produce.

I dont think it will be an issue.

The issue with Capel so far is the same issue with Kelvin he loses a lot of players. That seems to me to be all that TU is saying.

Back