RIP Lew Hill

statement from Coach Kruger

[TWEET]https://twitter.com/OU_MBBall/status/1358860470132826119?s=20[/TWEET]

MPS, a very reliable poster, said she read it somewhere, but I did note that the wire stories about his death all seem to refer to him passing away just hours after coaching "his final game."

That is sloppy and misleading copy/headline writing. It was only his final game because he died, but one could easily mistake that wording to mean that he was retiring, stepping back from coaching for this season or otherwise moving on from UTRGV.

You're right, but the fact that he was about to step back again from coaching due to lingering issue even after "recovering" makes one wonder. But no, we certainly don't know for sure.

also read he had other health issues...

sad though. He's my age...

It is sad to think about but his last game was a nail biter. I know i get worked up just watching...i can't imagine the stress of coaching

It is sad to think about but his last game was a nail biter. I know i get worked up just watching...i can't imagine the stress of coaching

I've only coached HS...but I know you're so "into" the game...the x/o's...etc that the "emotion" of the game doesn't really hit. Yes, I wanted to win (prob more than some of the kids it seemed..lol) but guessing with these guys..being in the profession so long it's "handled" better than you and I as fans.

Yes, I get worked up about OU's games ...:ez-roll:

*not at all saying there is no emotion involved...just they can handle it better.

Just my 2 cents

I've only coached HS...but I know you're so "into" the game...the x/o's...etc that the "emotion" of the game doesn't really hit. Yes, I wanted to win (prob more than some of the kids it seemed..lol) but guessing with these guys..being in the profession so long it's "handled" better than you and I as fans.

Yes, I get worked up about OU's games ...:ez-roll:

*not at all saying there is no emotion involved...just they can handle it better.

Just my 2 cents

makes sense

MPS, a very reliable poster, said she read it somewhere, but I did note that the wire stories about his death all seem to refer to him passing away just hours after coaching "his final game."

That is sloppy and misleading copy/headline writing. It was only his final game because he died, but one could easily mistake that wording to mean that he was retiring, stepping back from coaching for this season or otherwise moving on from UTRGV.

You're absolutely right, sky. I thought exactly the same thing when I read that headline (I've written a few in my time and some of them were also sloppy/misleading).

You're absolutely right, sky. I thought exactly the same thing when I read that headline (I've written a few in my time and some of them were also sloppy/misleading).

I might have read it on FB. That was where I learned he had passed away.

[TWEET]https://twitter.com/GoodmanHoops/status/1358556303942164481?s=20[/TWEET]

I saw it here

Devastating news. Prayers for his family, friends, and team.

Terrible news...will keep Lew Hill's family and close friends in my prayers. Besides Coach Hill, and one of my grandfathers, Lee Roy Selmon also died at age 56. It's just way too young an age.

Way way to young but probably as good a way to go as possible. Working at what you love to do, go home and pass in your sleep.

Had a friend who we lost last fall who had a stroke in 2007 and was confined to a wheel chair and spent the remaining years of her life in and out of low end assisted living facilities and that's tough.

Lew is most likely fine but I feel for his family and friends and team.

Lew Hill was unanimously named WAC Coach of the Year posthumously.
[TWEET]https://twitter.com/byandymcculloch/status/1369437993774252033?s=21[/TWEET]

Back