Rivaldo Soares ‘23 Highlights

Amazing how highlights can be somewhat misleading. That highlight reel shows a guy who can create his own shot, is athletic and strong.

Then I found that he only shot 38.1% this past season.

Underwhelming

These are the kinds of players you get thru the Portal when you are feeling bench spots. No good player is going to come knowing they are going to sit behind more talented players. It's why PM wanted Cortes to stay. Not because he is some great player, but because there is hope he would remain comfortable in a supporting role.

Kids aren't in the Portal looking to transfer and be the 5th or 6th best guard for somebody.

The whole thing just seems odd. If he is a backup, fine. But why would he leave a role as a starter at Oregon to transfer in as backup at a school that hasn’t made the tourney in two years? And if we plan on using him as a starter, that’s discouraging. Just seems like a strange fit. It would be one thing if we could bring in a stud wing, but I’d not be a fan of having him take a lot of minutes from Cooper. If Cooper is as good as we all hope, he needs to be given the chance to play a lot from the jump. Just curious to know how we plan on using this guy if he signs.

He has experience in a good conference and that’s valuable. Especially on an otherwise young team. But I agree that starting him is less than ideal. There are 3 other slots left though.

Uzan
GP |MIN |FG% |3P% |FT% |REB |AST |BLK |STL |PF |TO |PTS
32 |28.6 |47.0 |40.8 |76.5 |2.7 |3.0 |0.2 |0.8 |2.1 |2.2 |7.6
Soares
36 |27.9 |38.1 |25.3 |83.1 |3.6 |1.8 |0.3 |0.6 |2.1 |1.6 |7.2

Uzan
GP MIN FG% 3P% FT% REB AST BLK STL PF TO PTS
32 28.6 47.0 40.8 76.5 2.7 3.0 0.2 0.8 2.1 2.2 7.6
Soares
GP MIN FG% 3P% FT% REB AST BLK STL PF TO PTS
36 27.9 38.1 25.3 83.1 3.6 1.8 0.3 0.6 2.1 1.6 7.2

Don’t use logic.

Players do things that don’t show up.

He shoots with confidence as opposed to the "always pass first mentality" regardless of being open or not.

Uzan
32 |28.6 |47.0 |40.8 |76.5 |2.7 |3.0 |0.2 |0.8 |2.1 |2.2 |7.6
Soares
36 |27.9 |38.1 |25.3 |83.1 |3.6 |1.8 |0.3 |0.6 |2.1 |1.6 |7.2

I am not going to pretend he is a good shooter but Soares did shoot almost the same amount of 3s as 2s (which skews his overall FG% imo). Almost twice as many 3 pt attempts as Hill, for example.

If the player in the video is who we would be getting he is much more than "underwhelming" but I am well aware that highlight videos aren't going to show the bad plays.

If the player in the video is who we would be getting he is much more than "underwhelming" but I am well aware that highlight videos aren't going to show the bad plays.

They put together a highlight film and all I see is a guy hitting a few contested shots. This is his highlight reel? His absolute best plays of the year? Sorry it’s not impressive

They put together a highlight film and all I see is a guy hitting a few contested shots. This is his highlight reel? His absolute best plays of the year? Sorry it’s not impressive

Maybe not to you, but I see a player who could help us.

Your opinion doesn’t matter anyway. Soares will be a Sooner next season! Deal with it!

Maybe not to you, but I see a player who could help us.

Your opinion doesn’t matter anyway. Soares will be a Sooner next season! Deal with it!

It matters just as much as yours. I see another Goldwire. It’s not what we need but I guess if we get a bunch of guys who are not real upgrades then we will be talking about who the new coach can recruit this time near year. We’ll see.

Did we watch the same highlights video I did? I saw a high number of times when Soares attacks a defender head on and gets of a well controlled shot often after serious contact. You say you see another Goldwire. I never saw Goldwire be that good or that aggressive. Your comments seem crazy to me.

He reminds me of Odomes, but with a better all around offensive game. Think he'll come off the bench, because I don't see him beating out McCollum, Uzan, and Oweh. But he's an athlete and good competition for Oweh to earn minutes

He reminds me of Odomes, but with a better all around offensive game. Think he'll come off the bench, because I don't see him beating out McCollum, Uzan, and Oweh. But he's an athlete and good competition for Oweh to earn minutes

I think Soares would win a competition with Oweh who is maybe more athletic but plays out of control and isn't yet a very good shooter except for very close in distance. I think Soares can get his own shot when he is guarded 1 on 1 and would often make the shot or get fouled or both.

I think Soares can get his own shot when he is guarded 1 on 1 and would often make the shot or get fouled or both.

I bet Oregon wishes he'd have done a lot more of that over the last two years.

Given his experience level, he is unlikely to grow into a completely different player in the next 12 months. We know what we're getting with this one.

But he's a kid you have to take, b/c you have to have guys that are okay coming off the bench. I also can't help but wonder if this is hedging a bit for not getting two 4's out of the Portal.

We know our starting 5 and the backups.

We know our 1-3 spots (Uzan, McCollum, Oweh, Cooper, and now Soares).

If we bring in a single 4, let's say a guy that starts, he still needs a backup. At this point, I'm guessing we'd go small and play one of the 1-3 spots, which obviously includes Soares and/or Cooper. Coles hangs out there too, but kid is raw and needs to add weight to play the 4 in a big boy conference.

Last edited:
Did we watch the same highlights video I did? I saw a high number of times when Soares attacks a defender head on and gets of a well controlled shot often after serious contact. You say you see another Goldwire. I never saw Goldwire be that good or that aggressive. Your comments seem crazy to me.

No dunking on anyone, no great passes, no tremendous defensive plays. Just a guy who averages 7 points a game making some tough shots. Remember, these are the absolute best plays they could find. Sorry, it doesn’t move rhe needle much for me.

That being said, he’s a sooner now so I hope he does an amazing job for us!

Back