Rivaldo Soares ‘23 Highlights

No dunking on anyone, no great passes, no tremendous defensive plays. Just a guy who averages 7 points a game making some tough shots. Remember, these are the absolute best plays they could find. Sorry, it doesn’t move rhe needle much for me.

That being said, he’s a sooner now so I hope he does an amazing job for us!

Ok it’s clear you didn’t watch the highlights. He dunks on multiple people. 2:10 mark and 3:05 mark he dunks over an arizona guy.

Last edited:
I like our pickups so far on paper but last year Bamasil was thought to be a sure thing and he couldn't get on the court for a bad team. These transfers all gotta at least play a role on the team. Can't have the misses we had last year from both recruiting in recent years and transfers.

Ok it’s clear you didn’t watch the highlights. He dunks on multiple people. 2:10 mark and 3:05 mark he dunks over an arizona guy.

Ah maybe I turned it off too soon. My bad

The important thing to me is he's not a step-down from Hill. He appears to be just as good as him. And around the same size and build. Heck we might find out that he's actually better. I'm going to be optimistic! Bringing three players in in as many days is impressive to me!

The important thing to me is he's not a step-down from Hill. He appears to be just as good as him. And around the same size and build. Heck we might find out that he's actually better. I'm going to be optimistic! Bringing three players in in as many days is impressive to me!

Ai451nK.png

Just looking at the IN and OUT

Including Hugley IV's best season

I think we can all agree, that we are getting more athletic across the board.

***Note, I made a mistake highlighting the TO for Hugley IV and Soares being green. (lower number = better)

Last edited:

He's 30 pounds lighter than Hill. Whether that's a good thing or bad will depend on how he's used, I suppose.

But his stats were worse than Hill's virtually across the board. I posted a direct statistical comparison between them in another thread.

All that said, Soares has been a guard, not a forward, so comparing him to Hill doesn't really make sense unless Coach Moser plans to use him in an entirely different role than he's previously played.

Soares is less of a small 4 than Hill was. Not saying we don't end up playing him there, or going small, but Soares probably shouldn't play the 4 for OU.

We'll have to wait until the roster is set to see if that may or may not be the plan for him. Best I can tell, he was never the 4 for Oregon.

Soares is less of a small 4 than Hill was. Not saying we don't end up playing him there, or going small, but Soares probably shouldn't play the 4 for OU.

We'll have to wait until the roster is set to see if that may or may not be the plan for him. Best I can tell, he was never the 4 for Oregon.

Correct, Soares played the 2 and 3 spots at Oregon. Majority being the 3.

He's 30 pounds lighter than Hill. Whether that's a good thing or bad will depend on how he's used, I suppose.

But his stats were worse than Hill's virtually across the board. I posted a direct statistical comparison between them in another thread.

All that said, Soares has been a guard, not a forward, so comparing him to Hill doesn't really make sense unless Coach Moser plans to use him in an entirely different role than he's previously played.

Ai451nK.png

***Note, I made a mistake highlighting the TO for Hugley IV and Soares being green. (lower number = better)

Here are the side-by side stats.

Correct, Soares played the 2 and 3 spots at Oregon. Majority being the 3.

Loves high post area. I think you’ll see uptick in 3’s %.

Gates a fan obviously. Maybe sees more than boss at Oregon.

Loves high post area. I think you’ll see uptick in 3’s %.

Gates a fan obviously. Maybe sees more than boss at Oregon.

I have seen a lot of him taking the 12-15 footers, which really brings out my inner giddy-ness. Terry Evans was a big proponent on the elbows as being the make or break for a shot-maker/taker. So I am a fan of someone who can pull-up from that range, regardless of what new age stats say.

**Not a post glorifying lower shot %s, just a post talking about the joys of the forgotten mid-range game**

Also note that Soares played on a better team with other players more capable of scoring. Fit impacts apples to apples stat comparison, and it’s telling that Soares started and played big minutes (suggesting he has intangibles not recognized in the stat sheet).

He's a guy that can guard position 1-4 and does just about everything well except shoot. It's a pretty natural comparison, even if the position he ends up playing for us is different.

Without a question, it's great to have a guy like this. I just worry that we may end up with too many of them. Having said that, there's still time for him to improve his shooting, and numbers from 1-2 college seasons don't always represent how good you actually are as a shooter. Take Austin Reaves' numbers at OU -- not terribly different. I would love for us to add another shooter or two in case that doesn't happen.

Last edited:
(suggesting he has intangibles not recognized in the stat sheet).

Hill has those too, but some posters here refused to credit him for them.

I wonder how much better Oregon actually was. They finished 12 spots ahead of OU in Kenpom, which isn't a huge gap, but like OU, they missed the tourney. They received an NIT invite, but they had a winning record, which explains that. And they played in a weaker conference, which largely explains their better record.

Also note that Soares played on a better team with other players more capable of scoring. Fit impacts apples to apples stat comparison, and it’s telling that Soares started and played big minutes (suggesting he has intangibles not recognized in the stat sheet).

Correct. Soares was 6th in field goal attempts on the team. He would have had to shoot it more if he was on OU last year, which would have resulted in more PPG.

Soares is an experienced p5 starter from a good program. Dana knows what he is doing, and he liked Soares as a starter. Gates clearly likes him, too. It is a pretty good pick up.

Hill has those too, but some posters here refused to credit him for them.

I wonder how much better Oregon actually was. They finished 12 spots ahead of OU in Kenpom, which isn't a huge gap, but like OU, they missed the tourney. They received an NIT invite, but they had a winning record, which explains that. And they played in a weaker conference, which largely explains their better record.

Oregon underperformed this year. No doubt. But they also had a very strong roster of talented players (with some 5 stars) and a well regarded coach. Over the past 3-4 years, I suspect you would agree that Oregon has been a better program. And I’m all for taking players from successful programs.

As for Hill, I agree that he has intangibles and I agree that Soares and Hill bring similar things to the table. But (unlike most) I comp Soares to Groves or Noland — and in my mind is an upgrade.

Oregon underperformed this year. No doubt. But they also had a very strong roster of talented players (with some 5 stars) and a well regarded coach. Over the past 3-4 years, I suspect you would agree that Oregon has been a better program. And I’m all for taking players from successful programs.

As for Hill, I agree that he has intangibles and I agree that Soares and Hill bring similar things to the table. But (unlike most) I comp Soares to Groves or Noland — and in my mind is an upgrade.

I concur with this. His apparent fearlessness to drive well into mid-range jumper shots and get them off without having to resort to doing a severe fall-away reminds me somewhat of Reaves. Most of our guards last year would rather keep passing the ball around the perimeter than take on a defender that was well positioned to guard them. He also has a good FT percentage.

I concur with this. His apparent fearlessness to drive well into mid-range jumper shots and get them off without having to resort to doing a severe fall-away reminds me somewhat of Reaves. Most of our guards last year would rather keep passing the ball around the perimeter than take on a defender that was well positioned to guard them. He also has a good FT percentage.

He averaged 7 points a game so I don't know how "fearless" he is.

Not only did he average 7 points a game but he's about to be playing against much better competition with less talented teammates. I hope he blooms into a stud but I have concerns.

Back