Rivaldo Soares ‘23 Highlights

Kinda reminds me of Christian James. This pickup is all about perspective. If he's a replacement for Hill then I'm not super thrilled. But I highly doubt this coaching staff would bring a guy in to play out of position, and I doubt he would come to OU unless he knew he would be playing guard. But, if he's a replacement for J. Gorves or Noland or even Bamisile then I think this a good get. If nothing else he will add some athleticism and toughness to the team that OU didn't have last year.

I watched some of the Oregon vs. Houston game on YouTube to try and get a better perspective of Soares. He didn’t start this particular game but came in about the 15 minute mark and played starter minutes. He is very athletic and bigger than I thought he was. He moves well on defense but as some have pointed out offense is not his strong suit. He will be a good addition to the team overall but don’t expect him to be a high volume scorer.

He averaged 7 points a game so I don't know how "fearless" he is.

I said fearless, not necessarily high scoring since that means he would have to be a volume shooter. He seems to let his teammates who are higher percentage shooters take most of the shots as he should. Maybe you need to watch his highlights video (all the way to the end) and see how many times he drove hard , knocking defenders back who got in his way. He was impressive driving against someone guarding him and rising up to get off a scoring shot with someone right in his face. He also proved he is not afraid to take the shot when the game is on the line. But I'm confident that you will be more than happy to tell us all that you were not impressed.

Not that it will give any warm fuzzies, but he was a JuCo All American averaging 15 / 4 and 15 / 7. Maybe there is more there.

I said fearless, not necessarily high scoring since that means he would have to be a volume shooter. He seems to let his teammates who are higher percentage shooters take most of the shots as he should. Maybe you need to watch his highlights video (all the way to the end) and see how many times he drove hard , knocking defenders back who got in his way. He was impressive driving against someone guarding him and rising up to get off a scoring shot with someone right in his face. He also proved he is not afraid to take the shot when the game is on the line. But I'm confident that you will be more than happy to tell us all that you were not impressed.

I guess I just don’t get why people place much stock in highlight reels. He has played a couple years of college basketball. Pretty much everyone who has played that much will have enough good plays to out together a 3-minute highlight video. I guarantee you the same things exist for Noland and Cortes and Jacob Groves. People seem to trick themselves into thinking, hey, maybe this guy could put it all together and do this kind of stuff all the time rather than once or twice a week.

I have seen some people post about his slashing abilities. But if he were THAT good a slasher, I just don’t see how it wouldn’t result in more numbers. I’ve said it a couple times, but if he truly is going to be a backup and fill the Jacob/CJ role, that’s great for us. It will confuse me if he is willing to do that, but that would be a positive for the team.

I guess I just don’t get why people place much stock in highlight reels. He has played a couple years of college basketball. Pretty much everyone who has played that much will have enough good plays to out together a 3-minute highlight video. I guarantee you the same things exist for Noland and Cortes and Jacob Groves. People seem to trick themselves into thinking, hey, maybe this guy could put it all together and do this kind of stuff all the time rather than once or twice a week.

I have seen some people post about his slashing abilities. But if he were THAT good a slasher, I just don’t see how it wouldn’t result in more numbers. I’ve said it a couple times, but if he truly is going to be a backup and fill the Jacob/CJ role, that’s great for us. It will confuse me if he is willing to do that, but that would be a positive for the team.

Soares has a 6+ minute highlight reel from this year alone. Highlight reels obviously do not tell the whole story, but I doubt anyone can put together a 6 minute reel of equivalent level of play for Jacob, cj, bijan from this year.

Soares has a 6+ minute highlight reel from this year alone. Highlight reels obviously do not tell the whole story, but I doubt anyone can put together a 6 minute reel of equivalent level of play for Jacob, cj, bijan from this year.

Probably not for CJ, he didn't play enough. But Bijan and Jacob? You could easily find 6 minutes of highlights.

It's still weird to me that this guy was a starter at Oregon and most people here are expecting him to come off the bench. I'm just trying to figure out what his role will be.

The player we desperately need to replace is Sherfield. So we need a guy that can shoot the 3 and create his own shot. However, I realize guys like that are not a dime a dozen.

It's still weird to me that this guy was a starter at Oregon and most people here are expecting him to come off the bench. I'm just trying to figure out what his role will be.

The player we desperately need to replace is Sherfield. So we need a guy that can shoot the 3 and create his own shot. However, I realize guys like that are not a dime a dozen.

I think most people are expecting McCollum to replace Sherfield’s production. I have no clue as to how Soares is an upgrade to anyone from last year’s roster.

I think Oweh, Cooper, & Soares will all compete for the starting 3 spot. Other 2 will play significant minutes off the bench. Soares will also probably get spot minutes at the 4. Uzan & McCollum are the only definite starters right now imo.

I think Oweh, Cooper, & Soares will all compete for the starting 3 spot. Other 2 will play significant minutes off the bench. Soares will also probably get spot minutes at the 4. Uzan & McCollum are the only definite starters right now imo.

i think this is fair ...

i would also say that Oweh has a big leg up in the comp ..

We got Mccollum. Better than Grant

I think most people are expecting McCollum to replace Sherfield’s production. I have no clue as to how Soares is an upgrade to anyone from last year’s roster.

He's better than Jacob, CJ, Bijan, Bam....

Id call that a upgrade.

We need more than one outside shooter though. If we surround McCollum with a bunch of guys that can't shoot we will have the same problems as last year.

Oweh is a very good high energy athlete but to win the competition he needs to greatly improve his handles and outside shooting. May the best man win

We got Mccollum. Better than Grant

Will be interesting to revisit this in 11 months. If he averages 16 ppg and absolutely carries us through the entire noncon, I will be impressed. Also, you seem very quick to praise every incoming player, and downplay every guy who leaves. You spent a lot of time hyping Grant while he was here, and frequently mentioned that we allegedly beat Gonzaga for his services. Was McCollum being heavily recruited by any top 5 programs?

Hugley laughs in your general direction.

Los is a very good shooter

I think our opponents were more than happy to give up shots to everyone on the team last season besides Sherfield. I hope Los makes a leap next season. He is more of a slasher like Oweh and Soares.

Back