Rivals Top 65 countdown: #16 Oklahoma >>> Rivals.com

BigTime

The Red Wig
Reaction score
Source Link

OVERVIEW

Instead of lamenting what it lost, Oklahoma enters the 2009-10 season excited about what it has coming back. And for good reason. National player of the year Blake Griffin is gone, but the Sooners return one of the top guards in the country and a future NBA lottery pick in sophomore Willie Warren, whose performance will be key if OU hopes to challenge Kansas and Texas in the league race. Warren and upperclassmen such as Tony Crocker and Ryan Wright know what it takes to achieve greatness following last season's run to the Elite Eight. Now, instead of Griffin, the onus is on them to provide the leadership on a team that will depend as much on its newcomers as its veterans.

PROJECTED STARTERS
F Tiny Gallon, 6-9/296, Fr.
F Ryan Wright, 6-9/241, Sr.
G Tony Crocker, 6-6/209, Sr.
G Tommy Mason-Griffin, 5-11/206, Fr.
G Willie Warren, 6-4/203, Soph.
KEY RESERVES
C Orlando Allen, 6-10/288, Jr.
F Andrew Fitzgerald, 6-8/258, Fr.
G Cade Davis, 6-5/199, Jr.
G Ray Willis, 6-6/164, Soph.

FRONTCOURT

His nickname is "Tiny," but 290-pound freshman Keith Gallon will be carrying a mammoth load for the Sooners during his inaugural college season. The Sooners lost the nation's best player in Griffin, and coach Jeff Capel also had to boot rapidly improving forward Juan Pattillo from the team after a series of off-court incidents. That means Gallon -- the No. 9-ranked prospect in the Class of 2009 -- will be called on immediately to be the key guy for Oklahoma in the paint. Gallon led all scorers with 20 points in the McDonald's All-American game and is an excellent passer out of the post, but he needs to work on his defensive game. He'll get help down low from Wright, who averaged just 1.8 points last season after transferring from UCLA.

BACKCOURT

Warren likely would've been a top-15 pick in the 2009 NBA draft had he chosen to leave school after a freshman season in which he averaged 14.6 points. Instead, he stayed at OU, and his numbers and role should increase in Griffin's absence. As talented as Warren may be, he had a tendency last season to try to take games over by going into one-on-one mode; that led to selfish, ill-advised shots that hurt his team in the long run. If Warren stays within Oklahoma's system and involves his teammates in the offense, it could be another special season for the Sooners ? especially if freshman point guard Tommy Mason-Griffin adapts to the college game quickly.

OUTLOOK

Although they won't be at the level of Kansas or Texas, the Sooners again should be one of the most talented teams in the Big 12. Capel won over a lot of fans last season after guiding Oklahoma to the Elite Eight, but his sideline prowess will be scrutinized more than ever now that Griffin is gone.

--------------

I hate to ruin some nice pub but Jason King doesn't know what the heck he is talking about. Warren was anything but a selfish player last year, and if anything, wasn't assertive enough. Me thinks King just went off of Warren's rep, which I still can't believe is still out there....sigh.

I hate to ruin some nice pub but Jason King doesn't know what the heck he is talking about. Warren was anything but a selfish player last year, and if anything, wasn't assertive enough. Me thinks King just went off of Warren's rep, which I still can't believe is still out there....sigh.

He is probably referring to the Kansas game without Blake where Willie took 10 more shots than any other guard... Even some of the shots Willie made were bad shots, such as the 3 from about half-court that he will make 1 out of 20 times. Willie averaged 19 shots per game without Blake, and OU went 0-2.

Now, Willie kept OU in those games and I dont have a problem with your best player taking the shots. He had to carry the load against Texas and Kansas without Blake because Ryan Wright certainly wasnt going to help him in the post and nobody else on the team could create plays...

I dont agree with him, but I bet that is what he is referring to.

Willie averaged 19 shots per game without Blake, and OU went 0-2.
He also spent a lot of time on the bench against KU in foul trouble after inexplicable (but understandable given it was Kansas) foul calls. If Willie didn't get in foul trouble, he goes for 40 and OU wins rather easily. He also got hurt in the Texas game, but also went for 27 with 6 assists, shooting 50% from the field. He dominated Texas, but came up lame. Another game we would have won without Willie having to sit.

Willie Warren is a human oven, and one of the most explosive scorers in the country. He'll have multiple games in the 40's, and if he sees a shot he likes, he should take it.

Last edited:
WW certainly is not selfish. But, like abd said, there was VERY little evidence that he did that on a very slight occasion. Either way, I think he was being nit-picky and putting WW's old rep into one.

He also spent a lot of time on the bench against KU in foul trouble after inexplicable (but understandable given it was Kansas) foul calls. If Willie didn't get in foul trouble, he goes for 40 and OU wins rather easily.

Possibly. Also, he got hurt a little, towards the end of the game (or am I thinking of the Texas game? I know he hurt his ankle in one of those games)... had that not happened, who knows. But I am getting into the woulda, shoulda, coulda kinda thing here. haha

Last edited:
He also spent a lot of time on the bench against KU in foul trouble after inexplicable (but understandable given it was Kansas) foul calls.If Willie didn't get in foul trouble, he goes for 40 and OU wins rather easily.

Willie played 38 minutes against Kansas.. Playing 2 more minutes would have resulted in 17 more points and an OU victory? WOW!

Willie played 38 minutes against Kansas.. Playing 2 more minutes would have resulted in 17 more points and an OU victory? WOW!
When Willie came out he was scoring every time he touched the ball. The crowd was in a frenzie, and he was raising the roof. When he came back, his aggressiveness and swagger was taken away. He passively played his way through the rest of the game, and as he got his aggressiveness back (assuming the clowns wouldn't call everything down the stretch) he fouled out.

Did you not want to comment on the Texas game? It's part of your "0-2"

Fair analysis.

Personally I am in the camp of OU being about a Top 25 type team starting the season, being a Top 15 type team in December/January and hopefully being a legitimate title contender by March if everyone stays healthy and the newcomers can add to the mix.

What was funny to me last season is that I think that OU was legitamtely the second best team in the country. Nobody was beating that UNC team, nobody...we just played them early.

Fair analysis.

Personally I am in the camp of OU being about a Top 25 type team starting the season, being a Top 15 type team in December/January and hopefully being a legitimate title contender by March if everyone stays healthy and the newcomers can add to the mix.

What was funny to me last season is that I think that OU was legitamtely the second best team in the country. Nobody was beating that UNC team, nobody...we just played them early.
Agreed. We had the team that could knock them off. If we just
shoot decent in that game, we had a shot.

This team would have been better last year if Willie would have been more aggressive...

This team would have been better last year if Willie would have been more aggressive...

I think you are right. There were plenty of times where he was aggressive enough... but he would disappear for a while. Just not as much as Croc might have... haha

This year, I see a HUGE increase in WWIII's aggressiveness and more consistency from Tony.

Back