Boise State
Utah State
Nevada
Wyoming
San Diego State
New Mexico
Nevada again
New mexico again

They were 10-8 in the mountain west and had the 7 seed. Got an at large bid.

Why?

Because they went 24-10 and beat Colorado, Creighton, Washington, and Boston College in their non-con.

They are prioritizing winning games, overall records, etc. Been a trend for a few years.
Virginia has a very similar resume, 23-10, 3rd in ACC. Split games with NC State, Wake Forest and Notre Dame.

the committee ignored their own principles ..
Yep, if you look at the comments after the Selection Show, and look at the AL teams that made it over those that didn't, they seemed to value NC SOC, last 10, and number of wins more than NET rankings, overall SOS, and Quadrant wins and losses.

And NET rankings, overall SOS, and Quadrant record are the things and principles they say are important.

Basically, in terms of importance, they valued the look of a team more than their strength.

the committee ignored their own principles ..
The chairman said that some things mattered to some members more than others. I'm not sure you can say the committee has a uniform set of principles.

Last edited:
2023 KP Finish23 NET finishStarting NETEnding NET
Iowa
41​
38​
25​
62​
USC
45​
55​
78​
88​
Providence
40​
51​
61​
58​
Arkansas
22​
20​
117​
115​

Based on last years finishing, would have been two Q1 and borderline two more.

Let's all get mad and blame these teams for not being better!

8-12 vs. Q1 would have looked a hell of a lot better.

2023 KP Finish23 NET finishStarting NETEnding NET
Iowa
41​
38​
25​
62​
USC
45​
55​
78​
88​
Providence
40​
51​
61​
58​
Arkansas
22​
20​
117​
115​

Based on last years finishing, would have been two Q1 and borderline two more.

Let's all get mad and blame these teams for not being better!

8-12 vs. Q1 would have looked a hell of a lot better.
Obvious flaw in your premise is that if those teams had been as good as expected, we likely wouldn’t have beaten them. And if you want to play this game, UNC was much better than expected, so our SOS got a boost there. But again, this is a strawman. We had a ton of chances to beat Q1 teams on the floor and we fell short damn near every time. No team in the Big 12 can cry about a lack of opportunities to win against good teams. We didn’t get the job done, and compounded our own problem by playing too many horrid teams.

Obvious flaw in your premise is that if those teams had been as good as expected, we likely wouldn’t have beaten them. And if you want to play this game, UNC was much better than expected, so our SOS got a boost there. But again, this is a strawman. We had a ton of chances to beat Q1 teams on the floor and we fell short damn near every time. No team in the Big 12 can cry about a lack of opportunities to win against good teams. We didn’t get the job done, and compounded our own problem by playing too many horrid teams.
In the results, yes, I agree we would have no idea the outcome in that way. Won't argue that, that was a stretch by my statement.

In the scheduling aspect, no. We scheduled almost 4 (definitely 2) more Q1 games non-con from the year before, it just didn't work out that way in the end of season results. Those are facts.

Not strawman bc I am arguing with no one's point, I am just making a statement with some stats while bored.

Five teams other than OU had 16 Q1 games. Only two teams had more than 16+ games in the Q1 realm. I think that says more to how many want our schedule to be stronger when it already was a Top-25 schedule based on the NET. Did we perform in these 16 games? Definitely not.

if providence second best player doesn't get hurt AFTER The OU game the finish in the top 15 of the country

if providence second best player doesn't get hurt AFTER The OU game the finish in the top 15 of the country
You continuing to say this doesn’t make it so. They had him for two months. What was the highest ranking they achieved with him?

There is no way to know that for sure.

They would have been better. Let's leave it at that.

I just don't think Porter knows what to do with talent when he has it. This year seems to have been the best year of assessing him, with players he wanted, and we did the same thing we did the last couple of seasons with him - we lost steam and actually got worse. I think for the most part this year's problem outside of injuries was just no lack in passion. We won against BYU, but other than that we didn't win a single game we weren't supposed to win. I'm just disappointed because who can say that they had a team that ranked as high as #6 in the country, only to not even make the tourney by the end of the season? I mean, I'm sure it's probably happened but that's just a classic example of PM having players that don't seem to be that invested, and as soon as they face adversity they kind of just crumble, and it makes me sad as an OU alum and fan. I believe with Kruger we at least had some passion.

Yep, if you look at the comments after the Selection Show, and look at the AL teams that made it over those that didn't, they seemed to value NC SOC, last 10, and number of wins more than NET rankings, overall SOS, and Quadrant wins and losses.

And NET rankings, overall SOS, and Quadrant record are the things and principles they say are important.

Basically, in terms of importance, they valued the look of a team more than their strength.

Interesting discussion.... Does a 24-10 Colorado State team who finished 2 games above .500 in the Mountain West deserve the bid over OU? Is it better for the NCAA Tournament to have teams with 26-8 records, who performed well late in the season, etc to get in over teams who play in better leagues but come in at 19-13, 20-12, etc.

I actually support the committees tendency on this. I want to reward a 25-8 team from the Mountain West, C-USA, American, etc and not reward a 19-12 Kansas State team... EVEN THOUGH, I am confident that if KSU played Colorado State 10 times, KSU would win 6 or 7 out of 10.

The response to that will probably be "why don't you want who you think is the better team"..... The reason is reward. I can't necessarily prove that Oklahoma is better than Colorado State, and you don't want the NCAA Tournament to be filled with mediocre bums from all the power leagues. This could also be a consequence of super conferences. You have 16 teams in your league, you can't fill the NCAA Tournament with the top 12 spots from every conference.

Kind of ranting in weird directions there, but those are my thoughts.

I just don't think Porter knows what to do with talent when he has it. This year seems to have been the best year of assessing him, with players he wanted, and we did the same thing we did the last couple of seasons with him - we lost steam and actually got worse. I think for the most part this year's problem outside of injuries was just no lack in passion. We won against BYU, but other than that we didn't win a single game we weren't supposed to win. I'm just disappointed because who can say that they had a team that ranked as high as #6 in the country, only to not even make the tourney by the end of the season? I mean, I'm sure it's probably happened but that's just a classic example of PM having players that don't seem to be that invested, and as soon as they face adversity they kind of just crumble, and it makes me sad as an OU alum and fan. I believe with Kruger we at least had some passion.

You didn’t watch the TY year then. The final teams under Kruger had a similar issue with good starts and poor showing in B12. One SLIGHT difference was that those teams had a couple of VERY late rallies to squeeze into tourney.

You continuing to say this doesn’t make it so. They had him for two months. What was the highest ranking they achieved with him?
they were 11-2 with him ranked #23 in the county (losses to OU and KSU(in OT)) just off a blow out win over #6 Marquette and a win over butler ..

he got hurt in the early second half vs seton hall .. they lost that game and the next 3 ...

It’s really strange scrolling espn and see a pic of moser and capel side by side. Article about who got snubbed.

Fans got snubbed with OU hiring both those guys. lol
Joe C.'s worst two hires in his 25 years as AD. He's missed on some non-revenue hires, but you have to get football and men's basketball right.

Capel was very fortunate to have Blake Griffin in his backyard and to ride him.

Back