Selection Sunday with reactions

What a cluster **** that was! I was excited for 5 minutes and pissed off for weeks.
If it makes you feel better, Gene was kind of past his prime at that point. WSU had two or three really good seasons in the 2000s, but never made it back to Omaha. I think he had gotten a little lazy on the recruiting trail and wasn’t putting in the hours he did in the 80s and 90s. I loved Shocker baseball growing up and spent countless hours at the ballpark well intro my 20s. That whole thing was such an awkward situation.

It was utter BS that OU was left out. When you factor in the injuries suffered that are expected back, it is completely criminal. I have hated these biased committees since the 80's. Should have formula set in stone at the beginning of the season, that everyone knows.

If we declined the NIT that is stupid. These players should enjoy playing basketball and be up for any competition. Playing and winning games in the lower tournament should bring the team together and if they voted to skip it, sounds like many either don't want to be on the team or don't love basketball.

Moser having a press conference tomorrow? To complain about not making the tournament?

Moser having a press conference tomorrow? To complain about not making the tournament?
There's a lot of pissed off people right now at the Selection Committee, at the OU BBall program/Moser, at the Admin/Joe C and on. Moser has to speak publically if anything just to get another voice out there to stem the negativity.

It's just inexcusable a program with Oklahoma's history missing the tournament 3 years in a row and the rot stems from the top down. Hopefully there are positive developments that can brought up and Joe C makes an appearance, there is talk of NIL improving this off season so there's that.

It was utter BS that OU was left out. When you factor in the injuries suffered that are expected back, it is completely criminal. I have hated these biased committees since the 80's. Should have formula set in stone at the beginning of the season, that everyone knows.

If we declined the NIT that is stupid. These players should enjoy playing basketball and be up for any competition. Playing and winning games in the lower tournament should bring the team together and if they voted to skip it, sounds like many either don't want to be on the team or don't love basketball.
How can you have criteria set in stone when teams play wildly different schedules? And what on earth makes you think the committee is “biased” just because they made a decision you don’t agree with? They also left out one of the most well-known coaches of all time, who coaches in the media capital of the world.

The reality is that there is no way to definitively and accurately elect the best 36 at large teams. If they made it purely objective and went strictly by, say, NET, people would complain about that, too, and say it’s dumb to let computers pick the field.

How can you have criteria set in stone when teams play wildly different schedules? And what on earth makes you think the committee is “biased” just because they made a decision you don’t agree with? They also left out one of the most well-known coaches of all time, who coaches in the media capital of the world.

The reality is that there is no way to definitively and accurately elect the best 36 at large teams. If they made it purely objective and went strictly by, say, NET, people would complain about that, too, and say it’s dumb to let computers pick the field.

The bcs was the best subjective rating system we have ever had by a wide margin imo.

Why couldn’t we take the bracketmatrix average and weigh it 50% and have the committee rankings be worth 50%? throw in the kenpom, net, and 10 other metrics and weigh them all 1/3. That would be so much better.

The bcs was the best subjective rating system we have ever had by a wide margin imo.

Why couldn’t we take the bracketmatrix average and weigh it 50% and have the committee rankings be worth 50%? throw in the kenpom, net, and 10 other metrics and weigh them all 1/3. That would be so much better.
Well I think the Bracket matrix includes all sorts of random folks who may or may not have any legit qualifications.

One thing I’ve always felt is that even teams with a legit beef can’t get too upset. It’s not like football where if you finish fifth in the four-team playoff rankings, you can legitimately claim that you had a real chance at winning a championship. If you finish outside the cut line of a tourney with 36 at large bids, it means you had a very mediocre season, especially as a P5 school that has lots of advantages when it comes to scheduling and lots of other factors. It sucks being on the wrong side of things, but we had so many opportunities to take things into our own hands.

Well I think the Bracket matrix includes all sorts of random folks who may or may not have any legit qualifications.

One thing I’ve always felt is that even teams with a legit beef can’t get too upset. It’s not like football where if you finish fifth in the four-team playoff rankings, you can legitimately claim that you had a real chance at winning a championship. If you finish outside the cut line of a tourney with 36 at large bids, it means you had a very mediocre season, especially as a P5 school that has lots of advantages when it comes to scheduling and lots of other factors. It sucks being on the wrong side of things, but we had so many opportunities to take things into our own hands.

My point is we need more data and a system less susceptible to human bias. I’d say the net, kenpom and the other metrics should be reputable enough. Then they should actually apply a percentage weight to the metrics.

It’s also not just the bubble that get impacted by shoddy committee decisions. Lots of bad seedings/location decisions take place after the field is set. 1-seeded Ou playing Syracuse in New York as an example.

My point is we need more data and a system less susceptible to human bias. I’d say the net, kenpom and the other metrics should be reputable enough. Then they should actually apply a percentage weight to the metrics.

It’s also not just the bubble that get impacted by shoddy committee decisions. Lots of bad seedings/location decisions take place after the field is set. 1-seeded Ou playing Syracuse in New York as an example.
Those are fair points. I will say, we wouldn’t have made it this year based on NET. But I understand what you’re saying. I think the committee usually does a decent job, but I do think there are some odd seedings this year.

Yeah it sucked but I got over it since Golloway bought Sooners a national championship in 1994
Shirley, you can’t be serious.

Stephenson was “hired” in 2005. I have no idea why you think that has anything to do with 1994. Sonny Golloway NEVER won a title. The 1994 national title team was coached by Larry Cochell.

Do you know anything about OU baseball?

Wow. It’s hard to screw up that bad, but you did it. Congrats.

Since January 7th we played 11 games against teams in the tournament and won 1 of them. We have nothing to complain about.
i pretty much agree with this ...

do i think OU should have been in ... yes I do based on the criteria they are say they use ..

but i don't really think teams on either side of the bubble .. have any real room to complain ..

there were 3 bid thieves in the last 2 years combined and there were 5 this year in the final weekend .. ...

even next year there is 1 extra at large because the pac 12 won't exist (and OU would have been in ) ..

Back