Seth Davis Loves This OU Team

SoonerDan74012

Reaction score
I asked Seth why he was the only one giving OU any sort of love in the polls and guess what??? He responded. :D
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/college-basketball/news/20140129/fast-five-oklahoma-sooners-kansas-state-marcus-foster-vcu/

@DanHarrison1985 When will your fellow members of the media start voting Oklahoma inside the Top 15 like you have?

What can I say? I'm ahead of the curve -- again. I have been over-voting the Sooners for the last couple of weeks, but in the wake of Oklahoma's win over Oklahoma State Monday night, I am guessing my fellow balloters (or is it balloteers?) will catch up and give this team their due.

Last August, I was in Norman to do an interview with Bob Stoops. As it happened, Lon Kruger's basketball team was practicing in advance of a trip overseas, and he invited me to come by and watch. This, I assure you, was not any kind of special treatment. Unlike many of his peers, who run a closed practice as if they work for the NSA, Kruger invites friends and family into all of his practices. He has even live-streamed them on Oklahoma's website. There were probably 50 or so people in the gym that day. When I mentioned to Kruger that this was unusual, he shrugged and said, "We don't have any secrets."

After watching that workout, I came away thinking this team would be lucky to make the NCAA tournament. What I did not realize was that freshman point guard Jordan Woodard would be this good, this soon. He is only shooting about 35 percent from the field, but Woodard has done a terrific job this season running the offense and attacking the rim. His 9-for-13 performance from the foul line Monday night was decisive, partly because it led to foul trouble for numerous Cowboys starters. I also did not realize that Ryan Spangler, the 6-foot-8 transfer from Gonzaga, would prove to be so tough on the boards. Throw in a couple of big-time scorers in 6-7 senior forward Cameron Clark and 6-4 sophomore guard Buddy Hield, and you have all the pieces in place for a top 15 team.

The most important piece, of course, is the man on the sidelines. Wherever Kruger has been in college, he has won -- at Texas Pan-American, Kansas State, Florida, Illinois, UNLV and now OU. The only exception was his three-year stint with the NBA's Atlanta Hawks. Kruger is a composed, intelligent and, yes, somewhat boring coach, but his teams reflect that cerebral approach to the game, as well as his even temperament. The Sooners are no joke, and it's only a matter of time before the rest of the world stops laughing.

It moved.

I love the state of OU basketball right now!

Pretty level-headed response. We are not a sexy team by any stretch of the imagination, but we are a TEAM that plays unselfishly. Our focus is on playing well as a unit and winning the game...chemistry is maybe the most important unspoken intangible in college basketball, and this team has it in spades.

And that's why he's risen to such a lofty position in the media. He's always come across as a nice person.

Pretty level-headed response. We are not a sexy team by any stretch of the imagination, but we are a TEAM that plays unselfishly. Our focus is on playing well as a unit and winning the game...chemistry is maybe the most important unspoken intangible in college basketball, and this team has it in spades.

Usually teams with unstoppable offenses like ours would be called sexy. If we wore Kansas on the front of our uniform they'd be talking about us like we were Loyola Marymount.

Usually teams with unstoppable offenses like ours would be called sexy. If we wore Kansas on the front of our uniform they'd be talking about us like we were Loyola Marymount.

I think what I meant was what you are saying. Oklahoma across the jersey is not sexy.

yeah, I was gonna say what Mn said.

I think this IS a sexy team.

They are pretty legit offensively, even exciting, and they are quick. The defense most certainly needs work - but that will get better with each passing minute of experience. They are fun to watch and they can make nice runs so you think they're in virtually every game. Plus, when you throw in an all-effort team guy like Ryan then you've got a lot for fans to cheer about.

I think possibly the balance of this team makes it "not sexy" since we don't have any so-called "superstars" or one and dones. I certainly don't think the style of play is unsexy.

This team has a starting 5 capable of putting up 10 per game with each player and has a couple players capable of going off for 30+ in any given game. Definitely a sexy team to watch. I don't think anyone thought we would be this good this fast with so many sophomores and freshmen. If we keep playing good ball we'll get recognition. Particularly in a conference this good.

This team is living proof how most of today's basketball media is lazy. A few big names in recruiting get followed and a few big programs get serious analysis by a few "experts". Then everybody else mooches off their weak research and runs around talking like they are also "experts". We saw it in Bedlam with the lame split screen and related crap, and we see it here. Davis implies that he caught them in a practice randomly and they kinda stayed in the back of his mind ever since, so he kept tabs on them. I'm sure glad he did!

Wonder where M'Baye is twiddling his thumbs?

I think he is making money playing somewhere. We definitely could have used him, but he made a choice for himself. I respect that he graduated and decided it was time to go make money.

Local tv guy or someone asked the same question boca... He responded by saying he is happy where he is and wouldn't change a thing.

Back