Some Harrison Barnes stuff

his teammate mcdermott's kid signed with uni. but his teammate, the former ames hs point guard, is a freshman walkon at isu. and barnes plays with the isu team all the time.

national people are dramatically underestimating isu's chances. my guess is that he's going to one of the carolina schools. but i'm also convinced that his decision came down to "my favorite of the non-iowa schools" vs. isu. and that it wasn't an easy decision.

It isn't going to be OU.

I also don't think it'll be ISU. If you were going to make THAT big of a shocking announcement, would you lessen the excitement by wearing an ISU tshirt 2-3 days before you announced? Or would you either not wear a teams' tshirt, or even wear a "decoy"? His moms works at ISU, I'm sure he has more ISU garb then he knows what to do with.

We'll see.

Isn't that what you said about Willie? ;)

Seriously, no one, except perhaps his mother, has a clue who Barnes will choose. He has not revealed anything publicly regarding his intentions at any point of the recruiting process. I'm not saying he will be a Sooner, I think OU may be a long shot in this race. I am saying that anyone who claims to know what this kid will do is speculating at best.

Man there is some real Debbie Downers in this thread.
Like Ada said...nobody knows...the kid has kept it close to his vest the entire time. Just enjoy the process and the ride.

Isn't that what you said about Willie? ;)

Seriously, no one, except perhaps his mother, has a clue who Barnes will choose. He has not revealed anything publicly regarding his intentions at any point of the recruiting process. I'm not saying he will be a Sooner, I think OU may be a long shot in this race. I am saying that anyone who claims to know what this kid will do is speculating at best.

No. I might have said I thought WW would go elsewhere, but it was evident from his recruitment that OU had a shot, and towards the end, a pretty decent shot. What about the Barnes recruitment makes you feel the same way? I just don't see it. Not in the things Barnes is saying/doing, not in the things Capel is saying/doing, and not just stepping back and looking at things.

If it makes some of you feel better to say we have a 15% chance (another guess at this point), fine. My guess is we're out of it. Not a knock on anybody, just what I feel the truth is.

I feel like we're out of it too, but for him to give us one of his five visits speaks volumes about his respect for Capel and the program.

UNC's involvement is really interesting because they got in later than anyone else. It lends some credibility to the conspiracy theory that not only did Roy Williams want Barnes but he didn't want Barnes at Duke and that if doesn't pick Duke it will be KU.

I think if it were just about the coach it sounds like it would be OU all the way. I've heard that playing with a great PG is a big deal so OU should be a great place with TMG, UNC with Marshall, Duke with Irving.

I happen to think KU is the darkhorse here, the closer it gets to decision time the more proximity plays a bigger role. I think KU is the place that he can fulfill the most things closest to his family.

Otherwise I think it's a Duke/UNC battle.

Some of you guys crack me up. I think we all know that Harrison Barnes isn't going to come here, but he did visit. That in itself helps the perception of your program. If you don't think that other recruits take notice of this you obviously don't understand recruiting. There were plenty of people who said we would never get players of the caliber like WW, TMG, and Tiny. Sorry but you were so wrong. The University of Oklahoma Basketball program is on the rise and in the mouths of the top recruits. When a top recruit visits a school. The other recruits take notice. We may not get Harrison Barnes, but we have a real good shot with three players that could impact our program. In my book that's really all you can ask for. We have a chance with three more impact recruits. I feel that we will land one of them. Even if we don't land any of them the process will have been well worth it because our success has caused recruits to want to visit here to see what we're all about. BOOMER SOONER BABY!!!:clap

Here is a post from another meesage board,

"Correct, his mother is a teacher in Ames. I've been told by some fairly well-connected UNC fans that she has been offered similar employment in Chapel Hill and has accepted. Needless to say, they feel pretty confident he'll be a TarHeel."

I thought it was interesting, I still think it will be Duke.

Here is a post from another meesage board,

"Correct, his mother is a teacher in Ames. I've been told by some fairly well-connected UNC fans that she has been offered similar employment in Chapel Hill and has accepted. Needless to say, they feel pretty confident he'll be a TarHeel."

I thought it was interesting, I still think it will be Duke.

Well, KU, when Roy Williams was there, had a GREAT Iowa pipeline. So KU has Iowa roots as does UNC at this point.

Neither would surprise me. Nor would the hometown school with what McDermott is building.

OU would surprise me, but Capel's been surprising me since day one.

No. I might have said I thought WW would go elsewhere, but it was evident from his recruitment that OU had a shot, and towards the end, a pretty decent shot. What about the Barnes recruitment makes you feel the same way? I just don't see it. Not in the things Barnes is saying/doing, not in the things Capel is saying/doing, and not just stepping back and looking at things.

If it makes some of you feel better to say we have a 15% chance (another guess at this point), fine. My guess is we're out of it. Not a knock on anybody, just what I feel the truth is.

Like I said before, I think OU is a long shot to sign Barnes. But, until he eliminates the Sooners as a contender or signs with another school there is always a chance.

My playful jab was aimed at your assertion that "It isn't going to be OU," as if you know for sure OU doesn't have a chance. Maybe so. But I don't believe anyone who has been following HB's recruitment can say with any degree of certainty that he favors one school over the other, or that he has closed the door on anyone.

Exactly, when was the last time OU was a contender for the #1 player in the country? Capel is doing an incredible job and with the way he is recruiting Barnes is simply the icing on the cake rather than the cake itself.

UNC's involvement is really interesting because they got in later than anyone else. It lends some credibility to the conspiracy theory that not only did Roy Williams want Barnes but he didn't want Barnes at Duke and that if doesn't pick Duke it will be KU.

I think if it were just about the coach it sounds like it would be OU all the way. I've heard that playing with a great PG is a big deal so OU should be a great place with TMG, UNC with Marshall, Duke with Irving.

I happen to think KU is the darkhorse here, the closer it gets to decision time the more proximity plays a bigger role. I think KU is the place that he can fulfill the most things closest to his family.

Otherwise I think it's a Duke/UNC battle.

Nice KU spin

LAWRENCE -- No matter what's happening in the recruiting world, Bill Self isn't going to be watching ESPNU Friday.

Self said gameday activities would interfere with much TV watching anyway.

"I doubt it," he said. "I really do. If I felt like we were getting good news, I'd watch it. But I don't have a feel. I can't talk about anything specifically, but tomorrow is gameday. So, I'd be very excited to get good news from any of the guys we're recruiting, but tomorrow's gameday."

Harrison Barnes, a small forward from Ames, Iowa, and the No. 2 player in the class of 2010 according to Rivals.com will announce his decision on ESPNU Friday afternoon. Kansas has been recruiting him hard for a long time, but it appears Barnes is headed to Duke or North Carolina.

http://cjonline.com/sports/basketball/2009-11-12/barnes_to_choose_friday

Back