Mawein (Sac St) 9.5PPG 6.5REB 1AST .5BLK 41.7/0/75
Issanza (LoyolaMary) 5.0PPG 5.5REB 36.4/0/50
Mason (Missouri St) 13PPG 1.0REB 1.0AST 83.3/75/0

Previous
Harmon (Tech) 9.5PPG 2.5REB 3.5 AST 45.5/33.3/80.0
Phipps (ORU) 2.0PPG 3.5REB 2.0AST 1.0STL 0/0/100
Garang (UMBC) 3.0PPG 2.0REB 1AST 33.3/100/0
Iwuakor (UNLV) 2.5PPG 5.5REB 1.0STL 33.3/0/50

I find it interesting that every single transfer on that list took a step down in competition.

I think we'll end up missing Mawein and Gibson the most.

I find it interesting that every single transfer on that list took a step down in competition.

I think we'll end up missing Mawein and Gibson the most.

Gibson and Harmon are playing at the same level ..

I would happily take Gibson, Mawein and Harkless back on the team, if we could. Those are the three I was most sorry to see depart.

I would happily take Gibson, Mawein and Harkless back on the team, if we could. Those are the three I was most sorry to see depart.

He took a lot of flack on the board, but Harkless was a stud and one of our most valuable players in spite of being what some perceived as a turnover machine. JMO

Since he’s at a juco, I’m not sure he counts…O’Garro - Colby.

Through 6 games, he’s averaging 22.4 ppg/8.4 rpg/etc.

Thanks for doing this.

Okay you may be right. I personally don't equate the Big East with the Big 12.

the big east has been a top 3 basketball league since it was formed ..

basketball it is for sure the big 6 ... and that is only if you count the pac 12 as the 6th ..

He took a lot of flack on the board, but Harkless was a stud and one of our most valuable players in spite of being what some perceived as a turnover machine. JMO

I’m glad he’s gone. He was a nice complimentary player two years ago, but last year he thought he was the man, and the bad far outweighed the good. We don’t need a guy who can’t shoot, pass, or dribble, but thinks he is our best offensive player. As I’ve argued dozens of times, and no one had really refuted, if he was so valuable, why did we play our best ball last season after his injury?

Gibson is the one we really miss. If we had his shooting ability on the wing with Sherfield, we would be in MUCH better shape offensively.

I’m glad he’s gone. He was a nice complimentary player two years ago, but last year he thought he was the man, and the bad far outweighed the good. We don’t need a guy who can’t shoot, pass, or dribble, but thinks he is our best offensive player. As I’ve argued dozens of times, and no one had really refuted, if he was so valuable, why did we play our best ball last season after his injury?

So he had one good year (I'd sure take another complimentary player on the team right now) and one not-so-good, so the good year doesn't count? For all we know, Moser told him last year that he wanted him to be one of The Guys on the team.

Also, his stats last season didn't drop off that much, especially considering he was playing under a new coach in a new system. He had too many turnovers, but so did virtually every player on the team. We'll never know how he would've performed this season with this new group of players and a year in Moser's system under his belt. He may well have been asked to play a role to which he was better suited.

As for the team being better after Harkless' injury, people made the same argument at times about the Sooners being better without Austin Reaves, too, so I'm going to not engage with you on that point. It's a simplistic way of viewing the question; any number of factors play into a team's performance at a given point in the season (in any case, one would hope a team under a new coach would play its best ball late in the season).

Someone gets singled out every season by posters on this board; last season was Harkless' turn.

So he had one good year (I'd sure take another complimentary player on the team right now) and one not-so-good, so the good year doesn't count? For all we know, Moser told him last year that he wanted him to be one of The Guys on the team.

Also, his stats last season didn't drop off that much, especially considering he was playing under a new coach in a new system. He had too many turnovers, but so did virtually every player on the team. We'll never know how he would've performed this season with this new group of players and a year in Moser's system under his belt. He may well have been asked to play a role to which he was better suited.

As for the team being better after Harkless' injury, people made the same argument at times about the Sooners being better without Austin Reaves, too, so I'm going to not engage with you on that point. It's a simplistic way of viewing the question; any number of factors play into a team's performance at a given point in the season (in any case, one would hope a team under a new coach would play its best ball late in the season).

Someone gets singled out every season by posters on this board; last season was Harkless' turn.

I didn’t say the good season didn’t count. But my point is, his good year came when Reaves was around to shoulder the load and be the star. Last year, Harkless wanted to be the guy, and he simply isn’t equipped to do that. I don’t think there is any chance Moser asked him to be the man. In fact, he benched him for a couple weeks specifically because he wasn’t happy with him playing that way.

The people who said that about Reaves based it on one game that Reaves missed with Covid. By the end of that season, I think even they realized he was far and away the best player on the team. I mean, the guy is a a key rotation player in the NBA. Harkless doesn’t even belong in the same sentence. And we had a month of data at the end of the season last year to show that we played better without him.

I’ve yet to have anyone tell me anything about his offensive game that was even slightly above average. Poor shooter, dribbler, and passer. This isn’t remotely the same as people complaining about great players like Doo and Reaves. Those guys were first team all league players. It’s no coincidence Harkless was nowhere close to those lists.

Harkless is a better defender than Noland, Bam, or Oweh from what we've seen so far. He also was more productive offensively than those 3 have been, but hopefully that changes soon. From that perspective, I fail to see how having him on the roster would be bad for the team. I agree with Sky that he became an easy scapegoat for issues that were teamwide. He was bad at being "the guy" who could go get us a bucket, but so was all of last year's roster.

Harkless came up huge for UNLV in tonight's upset over #21 Dayton.

24 pts, 6 boards, 3 assts.

Thanks EJ ($$$).

[TWEET]https://twitter.com/ContextFreeCBB/status/1592761547201253376[/TWEET]

I think Harkless was a good player. JMO, but I think Uzan, Oweh and Bamisile all have a higher ceiling as players than Harkless.

I loved Harkless and hated seeing him leave. He could have found a valuable role this year, IMO. Gibson just seemed....too short, or something. Mawein I didn't get to see enough of, but hoped he'd stick it out and get more PT this year.

I just hope our players now don't all leave again next year because with what we have coming in, in a couple years we could be really legit!

Back