Sooners That Left

TheGimper

Reaction score
I've done this before, but I always like to take a look at how guys that left the program are doing with their new schools.

Corbin Merritt - Austin Peay (Finished 14-13, 5th in OVC)
1.4 ppg, 1.4 rpg
Played in 14 games, started 1, averaged 5.5 mpg

Jamal Bieniemy - UTEP (Finished 12-12, 9th in CUSA)
8.6 ppg (37% fg, 31% from 3, 65% FT), 4.0 apg, 3.5 rpg, 1.2 spg, 2.1 TOpg
Played and started in all 24 games, averaged 32.7 mpg

Hannes Polla - UT-Martin (Finished 8-16, 9th in OVC)
4.2 ppg, 2.8 rpg
Played in 16 games, started 13, averaged 15.1 mpg

Jordan Sheperd - Charlotte (9-16, 11th in CUSA)
11.9 ppg (46% fg, 29% from 3, 74$ FT), 2.9 apg, 3.5 rpg, 1.4 spg, 2.5 TOpg
Played and started in all 25 games, averaged, averaged 34.3 mpg

Kameron McGusty - Miami (10-17, 13 in ACC)
13.3 ppg (44% fg, 32% from 3, 82% FT), 3.8 rpg, 2.8 apg, 1.3 spg, 2.5 TOpg
Played in 20 games, started 18, averaged 33.3 mpg

Thanks for posting. Interesting indeed.

About what expected. Merritt and Polla had no business being on an OU roster.

JB was vastly overrated by some of our fans.

Shep and McGusty were solid, but not program changers.

the first 2 players that come to mind for me that had as much or more success stat wise and winning are Ryan Humphrey and Drew Lavender another guy who did well stat wise but never made the tournament is De'Angelo Alexander...and its been 15-20 years since those guys played for OU

Last edited:
A real who's who... mcgusty is the only talent and he didnt have the right attitude

Thanks for the good thread OP

I would have loved to keep Shepard. I liked what he brought to the team.

All of those guys were just about about as expected ...not OU quality ..

Yeah we don't need to take those guys anymore hopefully. I get taking those guys with our 10-13th roster spots, but yeah lots of those guys were probably our 8-10th type roster guys at the time...which is no good.

Yeah we don't need to take those guys anymore hopefully. I get taking those guys with our 10-13th roster spots, but yeah lots of those guys were probably our 8-10th type roster guys at the time...which is no good.

3 of them were starters dude ha

Why did Bienemy and McGusty leave? Both of those guys got plenty of playing time and opportunities at OU.

3 of them were starters dude ha

THAT was the problem. JB, Shep, and McGusty are all probably good enough to be on an OU roster, but those need to be the end of the bench guys, not guys like Merritt and Polla and what we've seen recently.

McGusty is probably good enough to be 1st or 2nd guard off the bench on a good OU team, just not really a team player.

McGusty definitely didn't pan out, but my recollection is that he was considered a pretty good get when he signed with OU. Soonersports.com says he was ranked as the 33rd and 40th overall recruit by Scout.com and ESPN.com, respectively. He also had a solid freshman year. I think attitude was the issue with him. Had he had his head on straight and worked hard, I think he was a definite starter.

Here's about him from Soonersports.com:

2016-17 (FRESHMAN)
Played in all 31 games (17 starts) his freshman season, averaging 10.9 points and 2.2 rebounds in 24.9 minutes…Shot .430 from the field, .352 from 3-point range and .778 from the foul line…During conference play, led the Sooners with 14.4 points (13th in Big 12), 2.3 rebounds and 1.0 steals in 30.7 minutes…Shot 30-of-79 (.380) from 3-point range in Big 12 games (11th in Big 12)…Named an All-Big 12 honorable mention and member of the Big 12 All-Newcomer Team...The most decorated Sooner freshman of the Kruger era, he is the first OU freshman to earn All-Big 12 honors and All-Newcomer status since Tommy Mason-Griffin in 2009-10...Finished third in conference scoring among freshmen with 14.4 points per game...Reached a double figures scoring streak of 15 consecutive outings (Jan. 3 - Feb. 21) - the longest streak by an OU freshman since Jeff Webster (22) in 1990-91 and the longest by any Big 12 freshman this season...His four games of 20+ points are the most by an OU freshman since Tommy Mason-Griffin (seven) in 2009-10...His 337 total points ranks 10th all-time for a freshman season at OU…Earned Big 12 Newcomer of the Week for his performance in games against Kansas (Feb. 27) and TCU (March 4), averaging 18.0 points, 2.0 steals and 1.5 rebounds on .452 percent shooting...Recorded a career-high 22 points against both TCU (March 4) and Oklahoma State (Jan. 30)...Scored 21 points at Texas (Jan. 23)...Alongside Doolitte’s 29 points vs. Texas, became the first pair of OU freshman to both score 20 points in a game since 1976

Back