Sunrise Coach on Mcgusty and Jasey

tmeyer3307

Reaction score
Just got done talking to the head coach of Sunrise Christian in Wichita. He told me that he's pretty sure Isiah Jasey is coming to OU and that he is Blake Griffin athletic!!! Also said the dude can't score, dribble or pass yet but a freak athlete.

Mcgusty is his best player.. He said he doesn't always show it, but this was his best week since being at Sunrise.. He compared him to Cousins and he thinks he could play the point at the next level. Very good handles and has several different gears to throw defenders off. Very good with the ball, but needs to work on coming off screens and overall shooting. He might struggle at first with the physicality of D1 ball, but he thinks OU is getting a very nice player.

This summer he said all he worked with Buddy on was pick and roll and attacking off the dribble. Gave him little one legged shots to work on like the one he hit against OSU and the euro-step moves. He only wishes people could see how much time and work Buddy puts in.

Hope that is some good info for you guys..

Thanks for the update. I saw you posted it on SoonerScoop, too. I looked up Isiah Jasey and it says he is 6'9" 220 out of Killeen Tx (same as TaShawn Thomas). Also, Crystal Ball has all 4 predictions to Texas.

I'm glad to hear that about McGusty. I had seen a couple of box scores from Sunrise and didn't see Kam McGusty standing out. Glad to hear he's doing well.

Ya he said when he turns it on he's really really good, but some days he doesn't go all out right now. Said he transferred there because the school he was at the teacher was not working with him at all and it was very tough academically. While at Sunrise so far he's getting all B's..
Also forgot,, he said Lindy Waters is very soft and couldn't hang there. Doesn't think he will make it at OSU or even attend possibly.

The Katy school system really pushes kids, so it's not surprising if McGusty was falling a little behind. They're in the oil corridor out west on I-10, so it's fairly affluent and tough academically. They also have 7 HS but Seven Lakes is one of the newer ones.

Great stuff, tmeyer! Thanks for the info on a future Sooner and one who could be at some future date.

I don't know much about Jasey, but I'm super excited about Kam McGusty! I agree with the Sunrise coach in that Kam could swing to the point if need be. His handles and his ability to weave his way through traffic to finish at the rim have been very impressive in the videos I have seen. I doubt if he will play the point at OU, but it's nice to know he has that potential.

Just got done talking to the head coach of Sunrise Christian in Wichita. He told me that he's pretty sure Isiah Jasey is coming to OU and that he is Blake Griffin athletic!!! Also said the dude can't score, dribble or pass yet but a freak athlete.

Mcgusty is his best player.. He said he doesn't always show it, but this was his best week since being at Sunrise.. He compared him to Cousins and he thinks he could play the point at the next level. Very good handles and has several different gears to throw defenders off. Very good with the ball, but needs to work on coming off screens and overall shooting. He might struggle at first with the physicality of D1 ball, but he thinks OU is getting a very nice player.

This summer he said all he worked with Buddy on was pick and roll and attacking off the dribble. Gave him little one legged shots to work on like the one he hit against OSU and the euro-step moves. He only wishes people could see how much time and work Buddy puts in.

Hope that is some good info for you guys..

Great stuff, thanks for sharing.

tmeyer, over on SoonerScoop I asked how you got in a discussion with the Sunrise coach. For the sake of the Tisdale board members, you said your father is a coach, too, and the Sunrise coach played for your dad and was later an assistant coach. That makes the info pretty credible.

Man we need a good big in next year's class. Is Jasey a traditional 5, or true power-4? That would be great to get that for '17.

If Jasey can't score, dribble or pass, how does that make him a better investment than what we currently have in McNeace or the possibility of Chargois?

Father in Law is the coach at Newman University.. Sunrise practices quite a bit there at the college. I think Newman will always sign a Sunrise kid from now on with that connection.

He also talked a little about Bolden and Young. Was pretty sure Young would go to Duke. The prep school world is crazy and the stuff they can do I just don't understand. There's like no rules.
He talked about his summer team and how NIKE pays for everything and they fly everywhere. Kevin Durant is a sponsor now too.

If Jasey can't score, dribble or pass, how does that make him a better investment than what we currently have in McNeace or the possibility of Chargois?

Jasey is rated a 4 Star on every recruiting site so he has to have some ability.

:ez-laugh: I was wondering the same thing.

Father in Law is the coach at Newman University.. Sunrise practices quite a bit there at the college. I think Newman will always sign a Sunrise kid from now on with that connection.

He also talked a little about Bolden and Young. Was pretty sure Young would go to Duke. The prep school world is crazy and the stuff they can do I just don't understand. There's like no rules.
He talked about his summer team and how NIKE pays for everything and they fly everywhere. Kevin Durant is a sponsor now too.

Mark Potter? I went to Newman when he played there...used the gym as I was coaching HS, brought a team down from Kansas City...small world.

The Katy school system really pushes kids, so it's not surprising if McGusty was falling a little behind. They're in the oil corridor out west on I-10, so it's fairly affluent and tough academically. They also have 7 HS but Seven Lakes is one of the newer ones.

It is a very academically tough school so I'm sure he was in classes with some really bright kids. This might have made it tougher to get the grades he needed to qualify.

Yes sir.. He's a good coach and nice guy.. We compete all summer on the golf course too lol..

great, How is Newman doing? I need to look it up. I'm the guy who brought the Kansas City Kansas Shlagle team down. We use to do the Valley Center tournament every year. Think we only used Newman's gym 1 year. Haven't coached there in a few years, not sure if they go to VC any more.

Back