The Porter Moser stat I keep thinking about....

thebigabd

Reaction score
17 years as a head coach.

Under .500 seasons 41% of the time.

If OU finishes under .500 this year, Porter Moser will move to 45% of all his teams ending with a losing record.

Not sure I've seen that at this level.

Here are his seasons:

2000-01 Little Rock 18-11- 18 wins is aways good no matter what conference.
2001-02- Litle Rock 18-11- Solid again
2002-03- Little Rock 18-12- Solid
2003-04- Illinois State 10-19- Jumping up in competition level, rough first season.
2004-05- Illinois State 17-13- Much better
2005-06- Illinois State 9-19- okay bad again. Like really bad.
2006-07- Illinois State 15-16- Bad
2011-12- Loyola 7-23- Yikes.
2012-13- Loyola 15-16- Improved, but hasn't had a winning record in three seasons.
2013-14- Loyola 10-22- Okay not looking too great.
2014-15- Loyola 24-13- Huuuge turn around.
2015-16- Loyola 15-17-Another losing season.
2016-17- Loyola 18-14- Better.
2017-18- Loyola 32-6-Very good
2018-19- Loyola 20-14- Good
2019-20- Loyola 21-11- Good again
2020-2021- Loyola 26-5- Good again

Wow, I really don't know what to make of his coaching record. It's not like he struggled in the beginning then consistently got better. He's kind of been all over the place. The complete opposite of Lon. Lon was a safe hire with proven results. Seems like Moser is a wildcard. Absolutely awesome seasons, and absolutely putrid ones.

I'll try not to analyze it too much. We will figure out very quickly what kind of coach he is. He NEEDS to bring better talent to Norman. I know it's not easy. I have no clue how to do it. But that shouldn't be an excuse from a college coach of seventeen years making millions of dollars. Lon was far from a perfect coach but he got Oklahoma to a respectable level. Fans expect a tournament appearance every year. Moser needs to get it done. Yes, he obviously deserves more time and the full support the school. That will never change. But things need to be better next year, and I hope he is feeling alittle heat right now. His job isn't and shouldn't be on the line, but he's in the big leagues now.

I'm just trying to be as realistic as possible.

Last edited:
17 years as a head coach.

Under .500 seasons 41% of the time.

If OU finishes under .500 this year, Porter Moser will move to 45% of all his teams ending with a losing record.

Not sure I've seen that at this level.

Lol.

Here are his seasons:

2000-01 Little Rock 18-11- 18 wins is aways good no matter what conference.
2001-02- Litle Rock 18-11- Solid again
2002-03- Little Rock 18-12- Solid
2003-04- Illinois State 10-19- Jumping up in competition level, rough first season.
2004-05- Illinois State 17-13- Much better
2005-06- Illinois State 9-19- okay bad again. Like really bad.
2006-07- Illinois State 15-16- Bad
2011-12- Loyola 7-23- Yikes.
2012-13- Loyola 15-16- Improved, but hasn't had a winning record in three seasons.
2013-14- Loyola 10-22- Okay not looking too great.
2014-15- Loyola 24-13- Huuuge turn around.
2015-16- Loyola 15-17-Another losing season.
2016-17- Loyola 18-14- Better.
2017-18- Loyola 32-6-Very good
2018-19- Loyola 20-14- Good
2019-20- Loyola 21-11- Good again
2020-2021- Loyola 26-5- Good again

Wow, I really don't know what to make of his coaching record. It's not like he struggled in the beginning then consistently got better. He's kind of been all over the place. The complete opposite of Lon. Lon was a safe hire with proven results. Seems like Moser is a wildcard. Absolutely awesome seasons, and absolutely putrid ones.

I'll try not to analyze it too much. We will figure out very quickly what kind of coach he is. He NEEDS to bring better talent to Norman. I know it's not easy. I have no clue how to do it. But that shouldn't be an excuse from a college coach of seventeen years making millions of dollars. Lon was far from a perfect coach but he got Oklahoma to a respectable level. Fans expect a tournament appearance every year. Moser needs to get it done. Yes, he obviously deserves more time and the full support the school. That will never change. But things need to be better next year, and I hope he is feeling alittle heat right now. His job isn't and shouldn't be on the line, but he's in the big leagues now.

I'm just trying to be as realistic as possible.

Boon Soon, Moser’s 18-11 record his first season at Arkansas Little Rock was even more impressive if you add one important fact: The program he took over was 4-24 the season before he arrived.

I think it’s also important to note that his ten years at Chicago Loyola was immediately after he served as an assistant under a great head coach at St. Louis,
Rick Majareus.

Boon Soon, Moser’s 18-11 record his first season at Arkansas Little Rock was even more impressive if you add one important fact: The program he took over was 4-24 the season before he arrived.

I think it’s also important to note that his ten years at Chicago Loyola was immediately after he served as an assistant under a great head coach at St. Louis,
Rick Majareus.

I did not know either of those things. Thank you for enlightening me!

His first recruiting class at OU he’s recruited 2 top 100 players and a potential international star. We have many opportunities to recruit elite 4-5 stars from our natural recruiting region. He’s off to a great start in recruiting. Perhaps we should wait and see before we decide he’s not good enough.

I’m excited about the future with moser even tho this season has ended in disappointment.

His first recruiting class at OU he’s recruited 2 top 100 players and a potential international star. We have many opportunities to recruit elite 4-5 stars from our natural recruiting region. He’s off to a great start in recruiting. Perhaps we should wait and see before we decide he’s not good enough.

I’m excited about the future with moser even tho this season has ended in disappointment.

I agree.

Get out of here with that reasonable, forward-thinking approach.

This is a better 1st season than Lon had. Guess we should have fired Lon after 1 season...

The improvement in play from Capel's last year through Lon's first year could be measured in light years.

The improvement in play from Capel's last year through Lon's first year could be measured in light years.

Removing all nuance, Lon won 1 more game and finished the same in conference (8th). That isn’t light years better.

Get out of here with that reasonable, forward-thinking approach.

This is a better 1st season than Lon had. Guess we should have fired Lon after 1 season...

Tiny, a couple things. One, given the relative starting points, this is not a better first season than Lon had. We can debate all we want about how talented this roster is, but Moser inherited a program on very solid footing that had missed one NCAA tourney in the last decade. Lon inherited a mess of a program that was under sanctions, had alienated the fan base, and was a disorganized mess on the court. Anyone who watched the team in Lon’s first season would recognize that it made a huge leap forward in quality of play.

Second, I’ve not seen anyone here even suggest that Moser should be fired. I, and others, have expressed concern with certain aspects of the team. Turnovers, poor late game execution, and a low basketball IQ in critical situations have plagued us all year and have not improved as the season has progressed. Given the fact that execution was Moser’s strong suit, I think it’s very fair for people to note those things. But again, to my knowledge, no one is calling for his job. We just hope this is a one-season blip rather than a trend.

Removing all nuance, Lon won 1 more game and finished the same in conference (8th). That isn’t light years better.

Difference is Lon had to inherit a bad roster. In the portal age, the emphasis is on how a coach evaluates talent. Marvin Johnson averaged 15 points at Eastern Illinois. The big 12 is eating him up. Same as with the Groves brothers and the juco guy Malwein. That’s an evaluation miss based on Porter thinking Loyola level players can play in the big 12.

Next year he will have a better gauge of the conference. If he brings in more bad players, he deserves harsher criticism.

Tiny, a couple things. One, given the relative starting points, this is not a better first season than Lon had. We can debate all we want about how talented this roster is, but Moser inherited a program on very solid footing that had missed one NCAA tourney in the last decade. Lon inherited a mess of a program that was under sanctions, had alienated the fan base, and was a disorganized mess on the court. Anyone who watched the team in Lon’s first season would recognize that it made a huge leap forward in quality of play.

Second, I’ve not seen anyone here even suggest that Moser should be fired. I, and others, have expressed concern with certain aspects of the team. Turnovers, poor late game execution, and a low basketball IQ in critical situations have plagued us all year and have not improved as the season has progressed. Given the fact that execution was Moser’s strong suit, I think it’s very fair for people to note those things. But again, to my knowledge, no one is calling for his job. We just hope this is a one-season blip rather than a trend.

My statement was about removing the nuance and just looking at results. The results weren’t good in year 1 under Lon. The season wasn’t much better than the previous year.

Lon inherited better talent than Moser, though. The program isn’t in good shape; the fans don’t support it whatsoever. Many fans wanted Lon gone (not me) just like capel. I said it in another thread but the only thing worse Lon had going against him was the probation (which was a massive hinderance and why I said the job was slightly worse overall then). This program isn’t bringing any legit talent in by itself. This program is very much all about who the coach is. Just like Lon before, Moser will have to do it mostly by himself.

Difference is Lon had to inherit a bad roster. In the portal age, the emphasis is on how a coach evaluates talent. Marvin Johnson averaged 15 points at Eastern Illinois. The big 12 is eating him up. Same as with the Groves brothers and the juco guy Malwein. That’s an evaluation miss based on Porter thinking Loyola level players can play in the big 12.

Next year he will have a better gauge of the conference. If he brings in more bad players, he deserves harsher criticism.

Lon inherited a better roster actually. I’ve covered that in another thread.

Marv has had off the court issues and that’s on moser for taking a chance on him. As soon as he got his off court issues settled, he started playing and doing quite well. Then he has a high ankle sprain and we haven’t seen him since. This program isn’t recruiting anyone good by itself. Programs like tech and texas went out and paid hundreds of thousands to bring in top recruits/transfers (guys moser identified and wanted dearly). Moser’s top targets who ended up coming here are the groves bros, goldwire, and mawein. Groves bros and goldwire are our 3 of our 4 best players now that Harkless is hurt. Mawein is only a sophomore and has plenty of time to deliver value over the next few years.

Last edited:

I will +1 that.

Lon inherited a better roster actually. I’ve covered that in another thread.

Marv has had off the court issues and that’s on moser for taking a chance on him. As soon as he got his off court issues settled, he started playing and doing quite well. Then he has a high ankle sprain and we haven’t seen him since. This program isn’t recruiting anyone good by itself. Programs like tech and texas went out and paid hundreds of thousands to bring in top recruits/transfers (guys moser identified and wanted dearly). Moser’s top targets who ended up coming here are the groves bros, goldwire, and mawein. Groves bros and goldwire are our 3 of our 4 best players now that Harkless is hurt. Mawein is only a sophomore and has plenty of time to deliver value over the next few years.

I agree on Marv. However I feel Marv would do better under a Boynton Style as opposed to Moser. That’s just a situation of him about to go to Arkansas and the Arkansas assistant that recruited him going to OU. Sometimes a win ain’t a win.

Jacob Groves is over his head here.

I agree on Marv. However I feel Marv would do better under a Boynton Style as opposed to Moser. That’s just a situation of him about to go to Arkansas and the Arkansas assistant that recruited him going to OU. Sometimes a win ain’t a win.

Jacob Groves isn't ready now to be a Big 12 player, but I think he will be next year with some offseason strength and conditioning. Call me crazy, but there's an NBA player inside of him, just a matter on if he reaches his potential. 6-9, quick shot, high release point, a very good passer, defense will always be a struggle, but there's no reason he can't replicate what Brady Manek did here and then some.

No doubt about Jacob. That was an oversight on my post. He certainly isn’t 1 of our top 4 players rn. He has some unique skills at his size though. I hope he and tanner can change their bodies over the offseason.

Call me crazy, but there's an NBA player inside of him, just a matter on if he reaches his potential. 6-9, quick shot, high release point, a very good passer, defense will always be a struggle, but there's no reason he can't replicate what Brady Manek did here and then some.

Can we for once give Manek his due? With 235 made, Brady is fifth all-time in three-pointers at OU. JG has 13. Brady is also 14th all-time in scoring at OU, with 1,459 total points and a career average of 12 per game. JG has scored 104 points so far, averaging 4 per game.

I get that Manek played more minutes from the beginning than JG has, but there's a reason for that. If JG comes close to doing what Brady did, even for a single season, I'd be very pleased, but he's not going to replicate what Brady did and he's certainly not going to top him.

Can’t say I disagree, but he has two more years after this season to improve. He’s a legit 6’ 9” and he has a huge upside with his ability to shoot from behind the arc. He just needs to be more consistent, get stronger physically and get better on defense.

Besides, the brothers came to OU as a package deal. And while you may be right about Jacob, you’re dead wrong about Tanner!

Back