Totally Off Topic .. but Tom Watson

Status
Not open for further replies.

bocabull

Banned
Reaction score
WOW. This would be the most shocking thing I can recall in sports if he pulls it off.

The most shocking thing to me was NC State's half court alley oop to beat Houston. Some people would say the US Hockey win over Russia.

But a 60 year old winning a major championship? WOW.

Last edited:
It would be really impressive. I am rooting for him for sure.

Tom Watson holds the course record for Turnberry. He also won the British Open there in what many call "The Duel in the Sun" in 1977 when he scored 65-65 in the last two rounds and Jack Nicklaus went 66-65. That was 32 years ago. Watson knows the course.

I also planned to answer a lot of questions about Turnberry in my latest article but it got slightly derailed: HERE

I hope he can pull it off! It would be awesome!

You can bet I'll be glued to the HD pulling for ol' Tom tomorrow. He has always been a gentleman and a class act, and I would love to see him win his sixth British Open championship. What an amazing feat that would be for a man who will be 60 years old in September. Win one for the old guys, Tom!

You can bet I'll be glued to the HD pulling for ol' Tom tomorrow. He has always been a gentleman and a class act, and I would love to see him win his sixth British Open championship. What an amazing feat that would be for a man who will be 60 years old in September. Win one for the old guys, Tom!

haha This morning, when my dad saw that Tom still had the lead after the 3rd round... Well lets just say, he was jumping for joy and more excited about it than I would have expected from my dad. haha it was rather amusing.

Perfect story for ABC since el tigre bowed out. What else would have made it a watchable weekend?

Yea go Tom

Tom was the best player on the planet from the late 70s to the early 80's but his putting left him early like it did Palmer.

Tom was the best player on the planet from the late 70s to the early 80's but his putting left him early like it did Palmer.

True that. Watson is more likely to make a 25 footer than one from that dreaded 5 feet or so. lol

Perfect story for ABC since el tigre bowed out. What else would have made it a watchable weekend?

depends who you are and what you consider "watchable". i've been playing and watching golf since long before Tiger so i consider Sunday at any major something i'm going to watch with or without the guy. i like the game of golf more than it's star system.

depends who you are and what you consider "watchable". i've been playing and watching golf since long before Tiger so i consider Sunday at any major something i'm going to watch with or without the guy. i like the game of golf more than it's star system.

This. Golf is a joy to play and just as much fun to watch on a pro/am level(s).

I agree, just saying what the world probably is. Ilong for the days of Seve, Lee, Chi Chi, folks who added something extra. Faldo and Price also. That is beside the all world guys.

If Tom Watson is in the lead at the turn The Open will have it's highest ratings ever ... and it won't be close.

This woul be comparable to Michael Jordan winning an NBA Finals MVP year after next.

Tom just birdied #17 on final round to move one up.... excellent tee shot on 18. Needs an up and down from edge of green....

Watson and Cink in a 4 hole playoff. Cink w/ a 1 stroke lead after the 1st hole.

Watson had his chances to win, but that ol' short-putt bugaboo that has plagued him the past few years reared its ugly head again.

Still a performance for the ages (literally) and one he should be very proud of. Since Tom couldn't win, I'm glad another American could take home the "Claret Jug."

Watson had his chances to win, but that ol' short-putt bugaboo that has plagued him the past few years reared its ugly head again.

Still a performance for the ages (literally) and one he should be very proud of. Since Tom couldn't win, I'm glad another American could take home the "Claret Jug."

Yep, truly a fantastic British Open. On w/o Tiger! haha

Nice to see Cink get some redemption after the 2002 U.S. Open at Southern Hills.

Tom didn't make a good decision when he putted from the rough on 18 because of the incline, it was not a hard chip. Surprised he was in position to win but more surprised he blew it when it was his.

Not about the Open, but Tom Watson related.

I watched him play a round on the Golf Channel this morning from a course in Naples, Florida. He was doing little lessons for the viewers and his chipping method caught my attention, as I generally struggle with chipping (especially the close I get to the green).. Well, I went to the practice facility not long after and tried his method and I kid you not I was hitting a perfect chip nearly every time, it was by far the best I have ever chipped and it is now my new method! Basically I put the ball further back in my stance, opened my stance with my left leg (to "unlock" your hip, as Tom put it) which makes your follow thru more natural.

He articulated that lesson really well, easy enough for me to watch and then go try.

Thanks Tom!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back