#######Trae Young Decision Day Thread#######

I think he would love to be 1 and done. But from that candid article with his family discussing options, they seemed to think a 2 and done was more realistic

Yeah, I just don't see one and done with Trae. Two and done much more likely. He's great, but I think his size will keep him in school more than one year. But I think that gives Kruger a chance on some elite talent for next year if Trae stays more than one year.

Just like Capel with Willie Warren when Blake was a sophomore. Then they got Tiny Gallon and Tommy Mason-Griffin the next year.

And yes, I know they were busts, but coming out of high school, they were really highly regarded. And I've got to believe that Kruger is better at evaluating talent and character than Capel was.

I think this could be a stepping stone move for the program as a whole.

From what I was told, he has not really recruited any others, although he talks regularly with Manek... It tells me he is shooting for 1 and done

Thanks for the info. But I wonder if that is just because he didn't know if he was coming to OU. Maybe he will recruit for the 2018 class.

The "funny" part about this, is this is pretty much what OU has already done building up to this moment. Yes the 9 win season this year doesn't really show much but they will return every other vital part to the team (that we know of at this moment) along with bringing in two other "future" pieces. This is what Trae and his mom and many of the other "experts" out there keep saying. All OU needs at this point is that floor general/leader with some "attitude" and that looks to be exactly what Trae Young brings to the table. Funny enough, this idea that he has to come in and score 40 for them to win is laughable to me. If he's the guy I expect he is, what he has to do is be more of a play maker for not just himself but the others on the team and this team will reach heights others didn't see possible. When Cousins was moved to the point, it was because he was just as good getting others open and good shots as he was for himself and look at what that did for not just him but for Buddy and especially JW.

Imagine James/McGusty/Odomes/Doolittle if/when the other team has to worry about keeping the PG in front of them or can't sag off to help and they get an open look from 3 or a more open paint to work with? Or Jamuni with his baby hook 1:1 in the paint because the opposing guard can't sag to help or will give up a 3? All of this is focused around a playing making PG (ask KU or their opponents about Mason) and by all accounts that's EXACTLY what TY is.

Maverick, you touched on what I meant by Trae is a difference maker. OUHoops sent me a highlight video of TY's 44 points performance against Edmond North a couple of nights ago when he knocked down eight three pointers, some from 25 to 30 feet out. OUHoops added, "Young is a one man offense."

This kid has the ability to generate offense in so many ways, it's almost impossible to keep him from adding to the scoreboard by getting his teammates involved or by scoring on his own. He is exactly what next year's OU team needs!

He is exactly what next year's OU team needs!

And I'll take it one step further and say his "leadership" type attitude is what they are missing the most with the current squad. Not the "we think we can get it done" but the "jump on my back and I'll carry you there" mentality. OU has plenty of talent regardless of what some think, it sometimes just takes that one extra ingredient to make it all come together. Enter TY....

Thanks for the info. But I wonder if that is just because he didn't know if he was coming to OU. Maybe he will recruit for the 2018 class.

Unless he has ZERO plans of coming back for a second year (but the article and Bob Przyblo have both given the impression that the family thinks he's going to play at least two years) then I would think he would try to steer some big time guys for 2018 to OU.

Yeah, I just don't see one and done with Trae. Two and done much more likely. He's great, but I think his size will keep him in school more than one year. But I think that gives Kruger a chance on some elite talent for next year if Trae stays more than one year.

Just like Capel with Willie Warren when Blake was a sophomore. Then they got Tiny Gallon and Tommy Mason-Griffin the next year.

And yes, I know they were busts, but coming out of high school, they were really highly regarded. And I've got to believe that Kruger is better at evaluating talent and character than Capel was.

I've been very critical of TMG, Tiny and WW (Capel too) but I agree with you 100%.

In the past, when Oklahoma has produced HS talent like Trae and they chose to attend OU, great things have happened. Neither Wayman or BG were able to get OU to the Final 4, but elite 8 seasons are very very good seasons. I'm hoping TY can get us further than :eek:ldwt356: or :bgriff624_jpg_xs:.

Is he announcing in front of the whole school? You would think that if he was picking KU, he would announce a little more privately, but then again maybe high school students would be respectful if he chose KU in front of them.

I wouldn't call Warren a bust. Gallon was actually showing signs of being a legit player by the end of his 1 year at OU and if he could have returned I think he would have ended up All Big 12. Mason-Griffin was a complete disaster. The guy could play but you could tell that no one liked him and he was out there to get his own. And then Tony Crocker skipping offseason workouts didn't help either. Capel losing control of that team is a huge black mark and ultimately got the ball rolling on his demise at OU.

But, I agree if Trae does well at OU it could be a stepping stone for the program, similar to what TJ Ford did for Texas.

From what I was told, Self had been notified last night

The coaches felt positive over the weekend about Trae coming to Norman. I sure hope they, wOlfe and CT are correct!

We need Trae much more than Kansas does.

Yes we do, vbdad. I think Trae will be the perfect fit for OU. I'm optimistic based on what I've heard and read that he will see that too and announce for OU later today.

You have also been a reliable source of information on this board. I couldn't always post some of the things you have told me over the years. But that didn't change the fact that you knew what was going to happen in advance of breaking news.

From what I was told, Self had been notified last night

He was. Underwood was told earlier in the day, he was first notified due to their game. Self was given the call last night as well as Kruger. When Self was given the call, that's when Meyer and the KU guys officially changed their picks. They had heard the OU side of things all day, but waited for the KU side to confirm.

I've been telling them they could make a wager on it lax. I've got a source that is very in with all the local athletes but out of respect, cannot name this person. Told me last week that Trae was 100% OU. This person has never steered me wrong with any recruits, in the likes of shake, Justin broiles, tre brown, sunderland, Blake griffin, and now Young. He's told me well before any publically committed. He's going to OU

Thanks for the info! Don't name your source! We want the good news to keep coming :chestram2:

He was. Underwood was told earlier in the day, he was first notified due to their game. Self was given the call last night as well as Kruger. When Self was given the call, that's when Meyer and the KU guys officially changed their picks. They had heard the OU side of things all day, but waited for the KU side to confirm.

Thank you!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glad to hear positive things about his attitude and the type of guy he is. Because on the outside looking in, there did seem to be some "drama queen" and attention grabbing tendencies. But hey as long as he puts the team first and plays for OU and not Trae i'll be happy. I didn't really believe Lon would bring in a no chemistry guy, at least I hoped!

If OU can sign a top 50 2018 big then that season could be really special.

You gaylor on twitter?

And I'll take it one step further and say his "leadership" type attitude is what they are missing the most with the current squad. Not the "we think we can get it done" but the "jump on my back and I'll carry you there" mentality. OU has plenty of talent regardless of what some think, it sometimes just takes that one extra ingredient to make it all come together. Enter TY....

Excellent point! I know posters here were sick of the number of times I brought up leadership throughout the season, but I firmly believe that was one of our biggest problems. I can't remember a season when I couldn't point to a single player and say with any degree of confidence, "he's the team leader." That has not been the case this year.

Trae Young is a born leader. He's cocky and charismatic. Some people may not like that about him. I'm not one of them. Show me a player who lacks confidence, and I'll show you someone who will never be a leader. Trae also leads by example in the way he performs.

Back