Two 2012 Texas recruits creating quite a stir in Orlando

AdaSooner

Admin Emeritus
Reaction score
If this report is any indication of what we should expect in the future, two Houston Hoops guards, L. J. Rose and J-Mychal Reese, are recruits we should keep an eye on in the 2012 class. Rose doesn't even have a recruiting list on ESPN, Scout and Rivals yet. Reese lists Baylor, UT, ATM and UCLA, but no one has offered.

With the inroads OU has made in recruiting Texas, I've got to believe our coaches know about these kids. The last sentence in this report I highlighted in bold certainly caught my eye:

Originally Published: July 30, 2009
Texas youngsters generate buzz

Rankin By Reggie Rankin
Scouts Inc.

ORLANDO -- There have been many heated battles and close games as the four quarterfinal matchups are now in place at the AAU Junior Division 1 National Championships. Friday's slate of games will include some heavyweights of the AAU circuit with the New York Gauchos taking Houston Hoops, All-Ohio Red battling Youth Interlock Society, Georgia Stars 2009 vs. BWSL (Boo Williams) and the Jackson Tigers vs. Arkansas Wings). The winners will advance to the final four. The consolation brackets games have been intense as well, with teams continuing to fight for an extra game. T

After Thursday's stellar performances by two outstanding guards we decided to make co-standout players. 2012 prospects L.J. Rose (Houston/Second Baptist) and J-Mychal Reese (Bryan, Texas) are a dynamic duo. Both players have advanced I.Q.s and skills for the game that make their teammates better. They never seemed to get rattled no matter what is the circumstances during a game. Another player who impressed us is a potential All Mid-American Conference performer in future Miami Ohio Red Hawk Josh Sewell (Louisville, KY./ Trinity). Sewell is a wing player who goes about 6-foot-4 and 200 pounds. He has the size, strength, skill and toughness to immediately help veteran head coach Charlie Coles from the first day he reports to Oxford, Ohio.

Standout players
Rose is a skilled lead guard who can run the team by pushing the ball in transition or setting the offense in the half court. He is a good ball handler, passer and decision-maker. Rose is also a good athlete who can get in the lane with his crafty ballhandling and pull up with his excellent midrange game. He has terrific court vision when he penetrates and is tall enough to make the alley-oop pass to his teammates on time and on target.

J-Mychal Reese
Stephanie Stovall for ESPN.comJ-Mychal Reese is capable of playing the 1 and 2 positions.
Reese is a quick and athletic lefty who can play both guard positions. Reese runs the outside lane and can push the ball in transition with great pace. He has range to the arc and can knock down the open 3 off the catch or rhythm dribble. He also is a savvy floor leader. He is thin and needs to add strength, but time is on his side and being so young. These two young men may be the best guards in the Class of 2012.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/recruiting/basketball/mens/news/story?id=4368440

If I recall correctly from what I've read on here before Reese's dad went to A&M so I do not like our chances with him.

If I recall correctly from what I've read on here before Reese's dad went to A&M so I do not like our chances with him.

I hate our chances with Reese. Actually alot has been said about him being a Texas lock. Rose's chances are a little better, but his stock is soaring and he may end up being the better of the two.

Back