Update: Frank Booker announcing on March 21

People forget, but Tony Neysmith started at point for an incredibly stacked Norcross HS team that included Gani Lawal, Al-Farouq Aminu, and Naadir Tharpe (as a freshman.) Bummer that he didn't stick with the program or we coulda lured one of those guys to Norman.

Sad this is all we can lure here, but he does at least fill a need.

So, tell me Mr. Sunshine, who would you bring in instead of Booker? OU needs a kid who can shoot from the perimeter next year. That's not all Booker can do, but judging by the reports I've read from recruiting experts who have seen him play, that's an area he specializes in. If you think this kid fits the "all we can lure here" category, you don't know much about basketball.

Funny, I thought much the same thing when you started posting as a faux OU fan here. Well, the first half of the above post, at least.

I am sure Kruger's time with the Atlanta Hawks is helping us secure Booker.
Those Hawks teams were pretty bad, and Booker couldn't have been more than 8 years old when Kruger was fired. I seriously doubt his tenure there made an impression on the kid.

I just do not understand this comment. You have participated less than 20 times, most OU fans are excited to get a guy like Frank Booker and you insult the kid with a comment that it is sad this is all we can lure here.

He is a good recruit and most importantly he meets a specific need of OU which is outside shooting. I really hope the kid plays for OU.

Those Hawks teams were pretty bad, and Booker couldn't have been more than 8 years old when Kruger was fired. I seriously doubt his tenure there made an impression on the kid.

Are you saying Booker doesn't have a dad? :p

The teams could be bad but if the coach is a classy guy then people will notice. Also, in pro sports, the teams performance is not always associated with the coaching. Yes, I can name several examples.

It's not about the kid remembering him as the coach or how good the team was. It's more about what they have in common when the relationship starts between the two and the trust begins to form.

If Lon can walk into his living room and talk to his parents about what it's like to live in the ATL area, and his experience there. I'm sure they remembered his name on the local news while he was the coach there, it all creates a feeling of trust when you get ready to send your son 1,000 miles away to play basketball.

It's not about the kid remembering him as the coach or how good the team was. It's more about what they have in common when the relationship starts between the two and the trust begins to form.

If Lon can walk into his living room and talk to his parents about what it's like to live in the ATL area, and his experience there. I'm sure they remembered his name on the local news while he was the coach there, it all creates a feeling of trust when you get ready to send your son 1,000 miles away to play basketball.

Exactly.

I'm also sure Lon was very active in community events and citizens within the community notice that stuff. I can't get on facebook without seeing all my OKC friends posting about the Thunder and their community work. It's a weekly thing.

Fair points.

I don't think the name recognition is that strong in Atlanta, though. No one there cares about the Hawks, even when they're good.

I think pledger was more talented out of high school, but believe booker will become better because of four years of Kruger

Interesting. What about Pledger's game coming out of high school do you think is better than Booker? Booker's offer list compared to Pledger's is basically no contest..

Makes sense. I sure hope that's why the announcement has been delayed. I really want this kid! He's exactly what we need to replace Pledger next year.
Spring break down here isn't until masters week so it had to be another reason

I think pledger was more talented out of high school, but believe booker will become better because of four years of Kruger

If he does not defend better than Pledger did his first 2-3 years at OU he will have trouble getting on the court. Kruger is not going to be in the position where he has to play guys that can't defend because he has no other options. Capel got himself in that position and then couldn't get himself out of it.

If he can really stretch a defense he will get some minutes even if he can't defend but I seriously doubt Kruger starts anyone from this point forward that cannot defend. Kruger like Sampson and Tubbs understands that you must defend. There are lots of ways to defend but you must be a good defensive basketball team to win at a high level.

If Booker makes it official and comes to OU, it would be a great get. :chestram2:

Interesting. What about Pledger's game coming out of high school do you think is better than Booker? Booker's offer list compared to Pledger's is basically no contest..

Huh?
You're right that it was no contest... In Pledger's favor. He was a top 150 recruit with offers from BC, Wake Forest, UVA, Clemson, Va Tech...

Huh?
You're right that it was no contest... In Pledger's favor. He was a top 150 recruit with offers from BC, Wake Forest, UVA, Clemson, Va Tech...

I thought pledger sucked....! I'm kidding Gary!

Huh?

It could be argued that Pledger is the least respected quality OU player since I started watching OU hoops in '82 if this board is any indication of the OU fandom.

Back