Villanova Wildcats (33-5) | Key Players | Key Stats

SoonerTraveler

Reaction score
Villanova Wildcats (33-5) | Key Players | Key Stats

ppg – Points Per Game
mpg – Minutes Per Game

15.3 ppg; 31.2 mpg .. Josh Hart (Junior; G; 6-5; 205) .. 14 pts vs. Miami | 13 pts vs. KU
13.5 ppg; 28.4 mpg .. Kris Jenkins (Junior; F; 6-6; 240) .. 21 pts vs. Miami | 13 pts vs. KU
12.3 ppg; 32.0 mpg .. Ryan Arcidiacono (Senior; G; 6-3; 195) .. 21 pts vs. Miami | 13 pts vs. KU
10.1 ppg; 23.0 mpg .. Daniel Ochefu (Senior; F; 6-11; 245) .. 17 pts vs. Miami | 10 pts vs. KU
_9.8 ppg; 24.1 mpg .. Jalen Brunson (Freshman; G; 6-1; 199) .. 5 pts vs. Miami | 7 pts vs. KU

_6.6 ppg; 21.9 mpg .. Phil Booth (Sophomore; G; 6-3; 185) .. 2 pts vs. Miami | 0 pts vs. KU
_6.3 ppg; 20.4 mpg .. Mikil Bridges (RS-Freshman; G/F; 6-7; 191) .. 4 pts vs. Miami | 6 pts vs. KU
_3.8 ppg; 17.5 mpg .. Darryl Reynolds (Junior; F; 6-8; 225) .. 8 pts vs. Miami | 2 pts vs. KU

The Wildcats have good experience and maturity as two starters are seniors and two are juniors. Like Oklahoma, Villanova has 4 players that average double-digit scoring. Two Wildcats scored 21 points in the Sweet-16 win over Miami.

Villanova beat Kansas, but did not shoot well in doing so. In that Elite-8 game, Villanova’s FG percentage was 40.4% (21-52) and they only made 4-of-18 three-pointers (22.2 %). Villanova did shoot lights out from the free throw line, making 18-of-19. The Jayhawks only shot 11 free throws in that game.

In the Sweet-16 game, Villanova burned the nets from the floor against Miami .. 62.7% FGs (32-51) .. 66.7% 3-Point FGs (10-15) .. and once again shot 18-of-19 from the free throw line.

Looking at the KU-Villanova box score, Kansas lost the turnover battle (16 to 9) and Villanova outscored KU from the FT line 18 to 7. Kansas actually won the rebound battle and shot a better FG percentage, but the turnovers and FTs beat the Jayhawks.

KenPom has Villanova ranked #1.
http://kenpom.com/

Jenkins seems to be the match up prob...like the uo guy. Smaller and more fleet of foot than Spang...but I expect our D to be good.

Like the other thread says...all this talk about how good nova is playing now compared to Dec...so what. OU is playing some very good ball now as well.

Everyone says "we need to stop/slow down Buddy"...well, only wv has done that...1 time.

I'm usually more pessimistic, but I really think OU should win this. Obviously it could go the other way...just like how our D has stepped up. Especially with nova more than likely not wanting to "run" with OU...BUT that's what I thought in '88...lol.

Jenkins seems to be the match up prob...like the uo guy. Smaller and more fleet of foot than Spang...but I expect our D to be good.

Like the other thread says...all this talk about how good nova is playing now compared to Dec...so what. OU is playing some very good ball now as well.

Everyone says "we need to stop/slow down Buddy"...well, only wv has done that...1 time.

I'm usually more pessimistic, but I really think OU should win this. Obviously it could go the other way...just like how our D has stepped up. Especially with nova more than likely not wanting to "run" with OU...BUT that's what I thought in '88...lol.

I wouldn't look at it that way. I would look at it as how is that guy going to possibly stop Spangler. There are two ways to beat a guy. Shut him down or out score him. If Spangler can abuse him in the post, Villanova has major problems because the guards will have to help and that is not where you want to be defending OU.

I wouldn't look at it that way. I would look at it as how is that guy going to possibly stop Spangler. There are two ways to beat a guy. Shut him down or out score him. If Spangler can abuse him in the post, Villanova has major problems because the guards will have to help and that is not where you want to be defending OU.

true, but it goes both ways...not sure how Jenkins is on the 3 thus having Spang come out and guard him. I'm sure they'll switch on most outside def assignments. Thus trying to get Woodard on a big in the post...OU will just have to be aware of the help they give...which they did a great job Sat. OU also did a very good job in perimeter D against oregon which didn't allow the mismatch to be taken advantage of.

I think these stats are key too:

Player FG % 3 pt %
Hart 50.9% 34.6%
Jenkins 42.9% 36.5%
Arcidiacono 41.8% 34.4%
Ochefu 62.4% 0
Brunson 45.1% 36.3%
Booth 34.3% 28.4%
Bridges 50% 28.8%
Reynolds 64.9% 0

OU

Hield 49.5% 47.3%
Woodard 41.1% 44.1%
Cousins 41.8% 42.9%
Spangler 55.3% 37.5%
Lattin 55.3% 0
Buford 36% 35.5%
James 42.2% 47.6%
Walker 34.% 37.7%
McNeace 47.1% 0
Odomes 47.6% 33.3%

That is a big, big difference in shooting percentages in OU's favor. Every starter shoots better from three point range than their counterpart at Villanova. Everyone off the bench shoots three pointers better than their counterpart. There is more than a 10% difference in several comparisons. James is almost 20% better than anyone off their bench.

The next time Spangler abuses somebody in the post might be the first.

That said, everybody thought the aTm bigs, and the 4 from Oregon would give us fits, and we all know how that turned out.

Spangler would have to be aggressive to create any mismatch on the offensive end.. He hasn't done that for a month now so I wouldn't bet on that. He hasn't even attempted to shoot from the outside either.

Spangler would have to be aggressive to create any mismatch on the offensive end.. He hasn't done that for a month now so I wouldn't bet on that. He hasn't even attempted to shoot from the outside either.

I think the last time I really saw Spangs demand the ball and us run through him a bit was the WVU game in Morgantown... I think OU had a great game plan against ATM and UO when they chose to exploit over playing the screens by going for the lobs to Lattin early. Hope they game plan for Nova and exploit the matchup down low... Now to be fair, Nova did a great job denying Perry easy looks; however, that's KU's bread and butter, while ours is the outside game. Therefore, they will be to concentrated on running us off the three point line to double Spangs... He could have a field day, but he's gotta be aggressive. I just think we're a tough matchup for them because of our ability to spread the floor.

But as always is the case, OUr D will dictate how Saturday will go.

Back