Way too early Big 12 predictions 4/28/2010 Edition

Udoh could be back cant he? I thought he didnt sign with an agent.

Yes, but a lot of projections have him going in the lottery, so I doubt he changes his mind. It's too bad because Baylor was going to be awesome with him. They'll still be good but not Elite Eight good.

I can't really argue with any of the projected rankings. The question is, if Capel gets OU a finish in the top half of the conference will he have maxed out? If he gets them to a first round bye in the Conference Tournament should he be coach of the year? Those are not my expectations. I am just asking.

Because you said all the same things last year and they got 5th.

I never once had them higher than 4th in a prediction thread last year.

MU is still tied for first in the Big 12 in least amount of times being investigated by the FBI.

I think OSU will finish 9-7ish again. And once again, be playing their best ball at the end of the season.

Definitely don't think the league will be so divided between 'top' and 'bottom' teams. Last season, below OSU at 9-7, was Tech at...what 5-11? Big gap.

Nice rundown.

Although I do agree with the earlier poster that Markel Brown is the most likely freshman to have a big impact for OSU.

First off, he's at an easier position to make a big impact early (shooting guard vs. power forward) and he's just a flat-out fantastic talent.

Also, Dig is right... Olukemi will be eligible at the start of the season. He transferred to OSU last fall.

I can't really argue with any of the projected rankings. The question is, if Capel gets OU a finish in the top half of the conference will he have maxed out? If he gets them to a first round bye in the Conference Tournament should he be coach of the year? Those are not my expectations. I am just asking.

If Capel gets OU in the top 6, I would think he would get coach of the year.

Also another overlooked player on Soonersam's original list is Ray Turner at A&M. That guy is going to be a very good player. In fact, if Roland is healthy I think A&M will win the South.

Turner, Middleton, Roland, Loubeau, Holmes and Harris are six well rounded players who will form a really tough basketball team.

As for freshmen making an impact, I would expect Selby for Kansas; Perry Jones for Baylor; Cory Joseph for UT; Tony Mitchell for Missouri (if he gets eligible) and Cam Clark for OU to make a big impact on the big 12 next year.

Markel Brown for OSU looks good on film. But every year we overrate the potential contributions of freshmen in an ultra competitive, tough league. There will be a Burks that steps up I'm sure, but probably on one of the bottom six teams.

Last edited:
You won't have to watch him much. His minutes went way down last year as the year went on and KU is loaded more on the perimeter next year.
Reed has passed him.

Thank goodness. Morningstar's a clown.

This.

My rankings:

1.) KU
2.) Baylor (play KSU in Waco)
3.) KSU
4.) MU (I think MU and KSU may be better than Baylor but because they play each other twice and play KU twice they will finish below Baylor)
5.) Texas (more talent than anyone not named KU)
6.) Texas Tech (Singletary and Roberson make them a formidable foe)
7.) Nebraska (will be much improved but play in a tough division)
8.) osu (miss James Anderson a lot)
9.) aTm (still very competitive; could finish 2 or 3 slots higher)
10.) CU (I like the new hire but this is Colorado)
11.) OU
12.) ISU (even though ISU will beat OU in Ames)

I agree with you that Ok. State will sorely miss Anderson. I don't see them finishing in 8th (the Big 12 will be way down) but its hard to forecast them finishing in the Top 4 or perhaps Top 5. If their recruits can make a meaningful impact, that could change my opinion, though. They have a solid class coming in.

If Capel gets OU into the top half after this past season, the amount of defections, etc. It would be a miraculous coaching Job. I think a realistic optimistic expectation would be 6-10 (sad we're at this point, but that is the reality) by defending home court well and stealing one on the road somewhere.

Pokes, I know Brown is an highly athletic wing that you guys believe is underrated but what else does he bring to the table beside goods hops and what not? I would just assume with 5 perimeter players back with experience (Penn, Gulley, Page, Franklin and Nick) plus JP it would be harder for him to leave a mark on the team. Also why wouldn't Pilgrim and Moses play a lot together? I know they did not as much this year but on paper they seem like good compliments to each other. Then with another year and offseason between together it seems they would have better/good chemistry. Do you guys forsee OSU still being small with JP playing the 4 or what?

Cheno I think you're sleeping on both teams, like others have mentioned Kansas State might have the best front court in the nation. Yes their back court is a little shaky, but I think Pullen will do a good job and the only question will be if he gets some help offensively back there. Then Mizzou has a good core back that fits Mike Anderson's system to go along with the front runner for conference newcomer of the year in Ratliff. Expecting a good 16 and 7 from him which will go a long way to making Mizzou better offensively. Tony Mitchell might be the X factor (if he can get on campus), guy is a great athlete who can board, score and block shots along with having good handles (former 3). I really think Mizzou might a lot similar to their 2009 team.

Last edited:
Cheno I think you're sleeping on both teams, like others have mentioned Kansas State might have the best front court in the nation. Yes their back court is a little shaky, but I think Pullen will do a good job and the only question will be if he gets some help offensively back there. Then Mizzou has a good core back that fits Mike Anderson's system to go along with the front runner for conference newcomer of the year in Ratliff. Expecting a good 16 and 7 from him which will go a long way to making Mizzou better offensively. Tony Mitchell might be the X factor (if he can get on campus), guy is a great athlete who can board, score and block shots along with having good handles (former 3). I really think Mizzou might a lot similar to their 2009 team.

Sam,

Funny that a Jayhawk fan would sleep on and give no credit to K-State and Missouri every single year. According to Cheno, Missouri has guys who can barely dribble a basketball. According to Cheno, Frank Martin is the worst coach in the northern hemisphere.

LMAO, sorry for the typo. Didn't get much sleep this past night and since firefox wasn't picking it up as a misspelled word I thought it was good to go. LOL

Last edited:
Pokes, I know Brown is an highly athletic wing that you guys believe is underrated but what else does he bring to the table beside goods hops and what not? I would just assume with 5 perimeter players back with experience (Penn, Gulley, Page, Franklin and Nick) plus JP it would be harder for him to leave a mark on the team. Also why wouldn't Pilgrim and Moses play a lot together? I know they did not as much this year but on paper they seem like good compliments to each other. Then with another year and offseason between together it seems they would have better/good chemistry. Do you guys forsee OSU still being small with JP playing the 4 or what?

I don't think there will be much trouble in Brown getting playing time over Gulley or Sidorakis IF he can bring some offense to the table. Gulley is a non factor (right now on offense) and Sidorakis is solely a spot up three point shooter. Of course, they're both pretty pesky on defense, and I have no idea how good Brown is there.

As for Franklin...I'm just not sure where he plays. I don't know that he's quick enough to play the three, and at the four he has some obvious limitations. Of course, he was just a freshman.

I just don't think it will be hard for Brown to find playing time in that rotation of guards, since besides Page and Penn (maybe) there is no guy who you feel like can be a consistent offensive threat. I'd guess one of Sidorakis or Gulley is out of the rotation by season's end, with Brown in his place.

I also wouldn't be surprised if D. Williams starts at the 4 over Moses. Because he's a guy that can stretch the defense a little bit and hit some mid-range shots. Moses is a bit unpredictable there, and you don't want to let the defense clog the paint.

Still have around 7 months. :(

Last edited:
Hey HoHum or Dignon who do yall think will be OSU s Roster casualties? I know Yall are ahead two schollies and apparently still recruiting I was just curious? Dont want to open this can of worms again but I sure hope Ford does not over recruit to this magnitude every year.

Hey HoHum or Dignon who do yall think will be OSU s Roster casualties? I know Yall are ahead two schollies and apparently still recruiting I was just curious? Dont want to open this can of worms again but I sure hope Ford does not over recruit to this magnitude every year.

I think Torin Walker is one. I've heard that Reger Dowell will be back...so that would leave Jarred Shaw. But I find that hard to believe, that he'd get rid of both Walker and Shaw.

School's over in a week though, so we'll find out pretty soon. My official guess would be Dowell and Walker. I think Dowell's firmly behind Page, Penn, and Gulley for the next few years in the guard rotation. Not a lot of minutes there to be had. So, he might even be wanting to get out of Stillwater.

I've heard Ford decided not to sign anymore for this class, after checking out some JUCO guards. But, who knows.

I'll be interested if he does it again this 2011 class, they have 3 spots (Pilgrim, Moses, Sidorakis). Can't imagine he'd do it AGAIN. But we'll see.

I have just seen some articles where guys are starting to hear from OSU this late in the game. I really hope this stops though. I remember Ford saying about Shaw last year that he offered him because he thought he had amazing upside and he didnt want to regret not offering him. He also said that he thought Walker was the best big man that they had looked at. He sure does not help his image by saying these things then showing them the door a year later. Found it wierd that he brought in so many pgs last year as well. Im guessing Walker and Dowell but who knows

Back