Way too early Big 12 predictions 4/28/2010 Edition

I do understand bringing in all the point guards. They signed them all before LAST season started, when all they had was Eaton and Page. And who knows how good Page would be? He could turn out to be too short, too slow, etc...for Big 12 ball. And if he's a non-factor. You're relying on a freshman point or two.

So, I can see why he'd throw some darts at the wall and see what would stick.

He is a big time exaggerator, though.

bigabd- I agree with you that Missouri is a lot more dangerous than people are giving them credit for. Bowers and Safford are skilled guys and if that Ratliffe is as good as advertised, they are going to be salty because that backcourt will be very strong.

You are consistent in rating A&M low :). If Roland returns to form, A&M is going to be about like they were this year. Loubeau and Middleton will give them plenty of offense to replace Sloan and Davis.

I don't see OSU finishing top 4. I'll be shocked if that happens. I also don't see Baylor as top 3 this year. They lose too much leadership and tough-mindedness in Udoh, Lomers and Carter. Baylor's talent is up there in the top 5 of the league but there are only 3 guys I am confident going to war with- Walton, Dunn and Acy. I don't know if guys like Anthony Jones, Perry Jones and Nolan Dennis have the mental toughness to compete for a league title. We'll see. Plus Baylor has to play on the road at Manhattan and Columbia. Those are probably two losses there. I do think Baylor will beat Kansas in Waco. That will be a big Monday game and the Baylor players have already circled that one as they did Oklahoma last year. Kansas will get an inspired effort out of the Bears for that one.

this. exactly this.

Here are my super early rankings. Not how I think they will finish.

1. Kansas State - Clemente was good, but only one guy. That team is loaded.
2. Kansas - should still be near the top, just not a national title contender.
3. Texas - underacheived last year. I think they will rebound and win the South.
4. Missouri - should be the 3rd best team in the North.
5. Baylor - losing Udoh, Carter and Lomers will hurt, but they should still be solid.
6. OSU - losing Anderson will be a big deal. They will still be 8-8 or 9-7 I think.
7. A&M - Will be solid like they are every year. Wouldnt be surprised if they finish 4th.
8. Tech - may be slightly improved, but only NIT worthly again.
9. OU - I think we will be improved but may finish 11th due to playing in the south.
10. Nebraska - lot of young guys back but I still think they finish 4-12 or 5-11
11. Colorado - not sure about these guys after losing coach
12. Iowa State - Can't remember if they lose Brackins, but if they do I have them last.

Like the title of this thread says, its too early to predict. I will look forward to doing this again in 5-6 months.

Here are my super early rankings. Not how I think they will finish.

1. Kansas State - Clemente was good, but only one guy. That team is loaded.
2. Kansas - should still be near the top, just not a national title contender.
3. Texas - underacheived last year. I think they will rebound and win the South.
4. Missouri - should be the 3rd best team in the North.
5. Baylor - losing Udoh, Carter and Lomers will hurt, but they should still be solid.
6. OSU - losing Anderson will be a big deal. They will still be 8-8 or 9-7 I think.
7. A&M - Will be solid like they are every year. Wouldnt be surprised if they finish 4th.
8. Tech - may be slightly improved, but only NIT worthly again.
9. OU - I think we will be improved but may finish 11th due to playing in the south.
10. Nebraska - lot of young guys back but I still think they finish 4-12 or 5-11
11. Colorado - not sure about these guys after losing coach
12. Iowa State - Can't remember if they lose Brackins, but if they do I have them last.

Like the title of this thread says, its too early to predict. I will look forward to doing this again in 5-6 months.

I think Nebraska is legitamately better than OU at point guard, shooting guard, and at both post positions next year. You don't hear this too often (or ever), but Nebraska has more talent than OU does this year.

Cheno I think you're sleeping on both teams, like others have mentioned Kansas State might have the best front court in the nation. Yes their back court is a little shaky, but I think Pullen will do a good job and the only question will be if he gets some help offensively back there.

LOL. Best frontcourt IN THE NATION? Kelley is good but the rest of them can't score with a pencil. It's what killed them last year. If Clemente and Pullen didn't combine for 50 they couldn't score. Butler game was prime example. Kelly had 14 and Samuels, Sutton & Judge combined for 4 points.
I just think without that great 2nd scoring threat they will struggle scoring points.

Sam,
Funny that a Jayhawk fan would sleep on and give no credit to K-State and Missouri every single year. According to Cheno, Missouri has guys who can barely dribble a basketball. According to Cheno, Frank Martin is the worst coach in the northern hemisphere.

Missouri guys can dribble. Frank Martin is a very good coach, I've said that many times. I give KSU and Mizzou the credit they deserve.
KSU or Mizzou have never won anything in the Big 12. True or false?
Why pick them to win it now when once again they will have less talent than KU. And I feel they have less talent than Texas and Baylor as well but they will have a bit of experience edge so that will be interesting to watch play out.
Here's KSU and Mizzou's trophy cases.

empty-case.jpg

LOL. Best frontcourt IN THE NATION? Kelley is good but the rest of them can't score with a pencil. It's what killed them last year. If Clemente and Pullen didn't combine for 50 they couldn't score. Butler game was prime example. Kelly had 14 and Samuels, Sutton & Judge combined for 4 points.
I just think without that great 2nd scoring threat they will struggle scoring points.

Samuels and Asprilla will pick up scoring load. Samuels averaged 11 and 5 as a soph and he will get better. Asprilla averaged 14 points and 9 rebounds per game for a D-1 team. He is going to come in and be really good.

1) Kansas will win this league again. They may have lost their 3 starters but they have to much experience coming back. Add that to Selby coming in and Little/Releford coming off their redshirts...They will have tremendous competition for playing time.
2) Baylor will underachieve like they have done in the past. Losing CARTER kills them. Not only was he a dynamic scorer but he could get Dunn and the rest open shots. Walton will struggle replacing half of the production Carter gave them.
3) Kansas State will be good but how good is the question. Pullen will be the focus of the defense. They need their post players to be their strength.
4) Texas should be better than last year. They will have post players who will stay in the paint and Joseph will replace Bradley quite nicely b/c he will be their true PG.
5) OSU will depend on what Ford does on offense. IF he plays Moses and Pilgrim for the majority of the game TOGETHER, they will be a hard team to beat but IF he pulls this 4 guard lineup with Franklin at the 4 and either Moses or Pilgrim at the 5...they will be at the end of the big 12.
6) Texas Tech will be the team that gets a lot of upsets this year. They should be in the top 4 with the experience of 6 seniors on that team whether they bring in anyone or not.
7) OU is the biggest question mark. For one, Capel isn't done recruiting. Right now, all you can do is throw the dice and see where they land b/c all we know is what 3 guys bring to the table.
8) aTm - They will be right where they always are...a thorn in everyones paw. Somewhere in the middle.
9) Mizzou top 3 easily.
10) Neb/ISU/Col - same place every year...playing to not be dead last.

Samuels and Asprilla will pick up scoring load. Samuels averaged 11 and 5 as a soph and he will get better. Asprilla averaged 14 points and 9 rebounds per game for a D-1 team. He is going to come in and be really good.

LOL. Okay. I love your breakdowns of the teams you like. :woot

Here's my BigABD breakdown of KU:

G Josh Selby experts are saying he could end up the #1 player in the 2010 class. Expect a John Wall like year from Selby
G Tyshawn Taylor avg 7pt and 4asst as a sophomore. Should have big increase as a junior with KU's uptempo play this year which suits him more.
F Mario Little juco all-american who's finally healthy and had a redshirt year to get better. He's a juco so he's awesome.
F Marcus Morris arguably the best player on KU's team at the end of last year. The front runner for Big12 POY.
C Markieff Morris avg 7pts an 6boards as a soph in limited minutes. Will explode as a junior in Aldrich's minutes. Can shoot from anywhere.

F Thomas Robinson top 30 high school player that will explode this year. All reports out of Lawrence is he's been dominating in pickup games. Unbelievable athlete and motor
G Elijah Johnson top 30 high school player who played limited minutes because of KU's perimeter depth. Unbelievable athlete. Teamed with Selby and Taylor will give KU the most athletic backcourt in the history of basketball
G Tyrel Reed Senior leader who never misses a shot
C Jeff Withey 7ft who was top 30 in high school and finally will get a full season of basketball under his belt. Poised to blow up
F Travis Releford Showed flashes of brilliance as a freshmen and redshirted last year. By all reports dominated at times in practice this season. Great athlete.
G Brady Morningstar Glue guy who as a senior will only get better.
G Royce Woolridge incoming freshmen who is very underrated and an explosive scorer.

If Terrence Jones commits on Friday write him in Mario Little's starting spot giving KU two possible one and done players.

:clap

asprilla can score. his issue will be defending well enough to stay on the court.

i could see ku, ksu, bu, ut or a&m winning. i think mu will be good, but not good enough to have a legit chance at winning.

never seen the league so wide open at the top. lots of teams with talent, none with enough proven players coming back that they're a strong favorite.

i could see ku, ksu, bu, ut or a&m winning. i think mu will be good, but not good enough to have a legit chance at winning.

Agreed. Mizzou has zero chance to win the league.
This absurd crusade for Marcus Denmon and Lawrence Bowers is borderline comical. Denmon is a backup on a very good Big 12 team. Same with Bowers.

Agreed. Mizzou has zero chance to win the league.
This absurd crusade for Marcus Denmon and Lawrence Bowers is borderline comical. Denmon is a backup on a very good Big 12 team. Same with Bowers.

I called them solid players, and you are (as usual) putting words in my mouth and saying its a crusade. Every team needs solid players, and those two are very solid players.

Clown.

Pokes, I know Brown is an highly athletic wing that you guys believe is underrated but what else does he bring to the table beside goods hops and what not?

Even if he has nothing else, that will be enough to justify a lot of minutes in my mind. Who the hell else are we going to stick out there? Page and Gulley sharing the backcourt? We were sorely outclassed by athletic teams last year, which was unbelievably frustrating. Looked like the Lakers in game 4.

Also why wouldn't Pilgrim and Moses play a lot together?

Because Marshall gets butt-hurt when he has to "share the paint", or at least that's how it seems. Pilgrim is so much more athletic and fluid with his movements that I just assume he'll continue to progress at a much higher clip than Moses. Although Moses did score the ball pretty well in the 1-and-done game.

If they can figure out how to play together, then it'll be great. I just don't see it happening. Both will have to have their light bulb replaced for it to work.

---------

I think we'll start off playing bigger, but how long we do that will be highly dependent on a few things:

Can Marshall and Pilgrim play together? (doubtful)
Does Shaw progress? (probably not enough to warrant major minutes)
Can Williams play? (No idea)

Markel Brown for OSU looks good on film. But every year we overrate the potential contributions of freshmen in an ultra competitive, tough league.

Agreed 100%.

I wasn't saying that he will for sure have a big impact... I was saying that of OSU's incoming freshmen, he's the one most likely to have an impact.

I mentioned him because the OP didn't mention him.

Pokes, I know Brown is an highly athletic wing that you guys believe is underrated but what else does he bring to the table beside goods hops and what not?

Well I'm not sure I would consider him "underrated"... a 4-star prospect and a national top 100 guy on Scout... tough to be underrated when you're "rated" that highly. :)

And he's not just a great athlete. He's an all-around great basketball player who can potentially play the 1, 2, or 3.

His reputation is that he's a hard-working, highly coachable kid who is a "team leader" type. Much in the same mold of James Anderson, actually.

That as much as anything is why I expect he might have the biggest impact of OSU's incoming freshmen.

Because Marshall gets butt-hurt when he has to "share the paint", or at least that's how it seems. Pilgrim is so much more athletic and fluid with his movements that I just assume he'll continue to progress at a much higher clip than Moses. Although Moses did score the ball pretty well in the 1-and-done game.

If they can figure out how to play together, then it'll be great. I just don't see it happening. Both will have to have their light bulb replaced for it to work.

This is all message board conjecture.

The real reason why they didn't play together was two-fold.

First was that Ford preferred having Obi play the four to create mismatch problems on the offensive end.

Secondly, even if Ford wanted to play them both at the same time, the problem was that they were both so foul prone that you didn't want them on the court collecting fouls at the same time.

If you do that, they could have both easily had 2-3 fouls before the 10-minute mark.

I think this year, with more frontcourt depth you will see a lot more of Moses and Pilgrim on the floor at the same time... especially considering there isn't an Obi Muenelo-type player on the roster to play at the four.

I called them solid players, and you are (as usual) putting words in my mouth and saying its a crusade. Every team needs solid players, and those two are very solid players.
Clown.

Didn't awhile back you start a thread about them being the best trio in the Big 12 or something?
Again...maybe I'm confused....but do you then think Kim English is a superstar or what? I just don't see how if these guys are just "solid" as you say now then how does Mizzou win the Big 12 next year?
Yes, every team needs "solid players". Morningstar is solid. Cade Davis is solid. You don't win the Big 12 with your 2nd and 3rd leading scorer being solid. Unless your #1 is Blake Griffin.
I'm just sayin'.......it's a Mizzou crusade. :ez-laugh:

Mizzou has zero chance of winning the Big 12. Okay, maybe that's harsh. A 1% chance.

If you said I had to pick 3 guys off any Big 12 team then Mizzou would be about 6th or so on my list.

Back