Way too early Big 12 predictions 4/28/2010 Edition

true. and very skilled too. but except for acy, also pillow soft.

I hope you mean Anthony Jones is pillow soft. Nothing soft about Acy. Evidence- warning to blh111 viewer discretion is advised:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0H9ou2_7Tio"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0H9ou2_7Tio[/ame]

Edit: re-read and realized you were calling Anthony & Perry Jones soft. My bad. Cory Jefferson is the one to watch here. Skinny, but wiry strong. Physical aggressive player. Similar to Jamar Samuels. Also there is a chance that J'Mison Morgan gets a waiver from the NCAA and is eligible to play next year. Also Dragan Sekelja will likely be used in Lomers role. Similar body type to Lomers but much more athletic. Not as strong though.

Last edited:
Anybody who compares English, Bowers or Denmon to Brady Morningstar in any way is an idiot.

realized you were calling Anthony & Perry Jones soft. My bad. Cory Jefferson is the one to watch here. Skinny, but wiry strong. Physical aggressive player. Similar to Jamar Samuels. Also there is a chance that J'Mison Morgan gets a waiver from the NCAA and is eligible to play next year. Also Dragan Sekelja will likely be used in Lomers role. Similar body type to Lomers but much more athletic. Not as strong though.

yeah, i love acy. wish he'd chosen kstate.

is sekelja going to be ready to play this year? bu could use another reliable, physical big to go with the skill guys. i guess jefferson could be that guy too, in a smaller look.

I hope you mean Anthony Jones is pillow soft. Nothing soft about Acy. Evidence- warning to blh111 viewer discretion is advised:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0H9ou2_7Tio

Edit: re-read and realized you were calling Anthony & Perry Jones soft. My bad. Cory Jefferson is the one to watch here. Skinny, but wiry strong. Physical aggressive player. Similar to Jamar Samuels. Also there is a chance that J'Mison Morgan gets a waiver from the NCAA and is eligible to play next year. Also Dragan Sekelja will likely be used in Lomers role. Similar body type to Lomers but much more athletic. Not as strong though.

How could Morgan get a waiver? He played in a game as late as March 6th.

Anybody who compares English, Bowers or Denmon to Brady Morningstar in any way is an idiot.

Yep.

Brady Morningstar, lol.

Didn't awhile back you start a thread about them being the best trio in the Big 12 or something?
Again...maybe I'm confused

I think they are the best trio of sophomores in the Big 12. Do you have another trio of sophomores that combine for 35 points and 12 rebounds per game, and are also the #1, #2, and #3 scorers for an NCAA Tournament team?

Why? Morningstar just outscored Denmon by 50% and had 3x as many assists in there head to head matchups last year. Denmon would not play over Morningstar. Again, Denmon does absolutely NOTHING against decent competition.
Anyone who thinks you can win a Big 12 title with Denmon and Bowers as two of your top 3 scorers is silly. Unless LeBron is the top scorer. LOL
You guys crack me up. Stats don't tell the entire story.
Who would you rather have next year Elijah Johnson or Marcus Denmon?
EJ didn't put up stats last year because he was a freshmen on a loaded team. If EJ was on Mizzou last year he would have started over Denmon. Same with Morningstar and Reed. Who would you rather have Markieff Morris or Bowers? Backup Markieff outplayed Bowers last year.

Denmon is the one that cracks me up. He went for over 20 on Texas Tech, Colorado (twice) & Nebraska. Take away those games and he avg 7 points per game in Big 12 play getting major minutes in an uptempo, pressing style of play. :clap And you guys think he's a top 3 scorer on a Big 12 championship team.

Let me ask others here....would you rather have Marcus Denmon or Cade Davis? I'd take Cade Davis without even thinking about it.
And let me ask also who thinks Bowers and Denmon would start on KU, Texas or Baylor next year?

I think they are the best trio of sophomores in the Big 12. Do you have another trio of sophomores that combine for 35 points and 12 rebounds per game, and are also the #1, #2, and #3 scorers for an NCAA Tournament team?

LOL...you didn't say anything about trio of "sophomores". Man half the Big 12 teams didn't even have 3 sophomores on scholarship. LOL

And your crazy if you think English, Bowers and Denmon are better than KU's soph's of Marcus Morris, Markieff Morris and Tyshawn Taylor. Each of those 3 are better than the Mizzou 3 individually.

LOL...you didn't say anything about trio of "sophomores". Man half the Big 12 teams didn't even have 3 sophomores on scholarship. LOL

And your crazy if you think English, Bowers and Denmon are better than KU's soph's of Marcus Morris, Markieff Morris and Tyshawn Taylor. Each of those 3 are better than the Mizzou 3 individually.

You are right, I did say best young trio.

http://ouhoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13979&highlight=trio+Denmon+English+Bowers

That list has changed dramatically with NBA and D-league departures. But even still, I think Alec Burks/Cory Higgins/Marcus Relphorde and Pullen/Samuels/Kelly are better than the Mizzou guys.

We will see how they perform as juniors, but I think you are underrating them. Of course, listening to you talk about Mizzou and KSU is like listening to posts on orangepower.com talk about OU.

Oh, and nobody cares about Markieff and Tyshawn.

No, you said "best returning trio".
Come on man you even linked it and you are STILL trying to change what you said. :facepalm

That list has changed dramatically with NBA and D-league departures. But even still, I think Alec Burks/Cory Higgins/Marcus Relphorde and Pullen/Samuels/Kelly are better than the Mizzou guys.

List hasn't changed at all in regards to KSU or Colorado yet now you admit they are ahead of Mizzou. At least you are coming around and wising up a bit. :)

We will see how they perform as juniors, but I think you are underrating them. Of course, listening to you talk about Mizzou and KSU is like listening to posts on orangepower.com talk about OU.
I've been very complementary of KSU. They had a great season. The Mizzou guys just aren't that good. English is good. I like his game. But Bowers and Denmon are not starters and top 3 scorers on a Big 12 championship team. They just aren't. They never will be. They are role players.
I'll bet you whatever you want that Mizzou doesn't win the Big 12. They won't even finish top 3.

How could Morgan get a waiver? He played in a game as late as March 6th.

His grandmother is very sick- he was close to her. AND he was dismissed from UCLA officially- not a voluntary transfer. They have given waivers to other players for reasons similar- Elliott Williams got one last year for a sick mother. I personally would rather he sit out. If he doesn't put in the work, cut him loose. If he gets after it, you may have something.

On Sekelja, he has skill. He's 7' 280lbs but he moves well. Strength wise he's not ready. I know they plan on whipping his butt in the offseason to see if they can get him there.

Bowers may not be a starter on a top 3 team in the Big 12. He's also not a starter at Mizzou. He plays about 20 minutes per game off the bench, and that's not going to change.

Morningstar did slightly outplay Denmon in two head to head matchups (scored 4 more points, tied in rebounds, 7/5 assist to turnover vs. 2/2). And Denmon outplayed him in the other 14 conference games. Denmon is by far the better player.

I can't honestly say if I'd rather have Denmon or Johnson, as Johnson hasn't done anything yet. When/if he actually does something on the court worth mentioning, I'll reconsider the question. One thing I know, though, is that he wouldn't have pushed Denmon out of the starting lineup, as he, like Bowers, came off the bench.

Denmon and Bowers may not start for UT, ku or BU next year. But they didn't start for MU, either, and no more than one will next season.

Bowers may not be a starter on a top 3 team in the Big 12. He's also not a starter at Mizzou. He plays about 20 minutes per game off the bench, and that's not going to change.....Denmon and Bowers may not start for UT, ku or BU next year. But they didn't start for MU, either, and no more than one will next season.

Great, thanks for filling Big in on his "best returning trio" in the Big 12. :clap
Maybe he'll believe it coming from a Mizzou fan.

Sawyer what place would you predict Mizzou finishing next year.

I predict MU will finish at least two spots higher than wherever people like you predict them to finish.

I predict MU will finish at least two spots higher than wherever people like you predict them to finish.

I think you said that last year when I predicted them 5th.
What did they finish? How did that work out?

Sawyer...I know even you aren't picking Mizzou to win the conference.
That's just absurd.

That's just absurd.

I think it is a bad pick to say they will win the conference, but they return quite a bit of talent and had a nice class. It isn't out of the realm of possibility that they win the conference. It is just pretty unlikely.

I think it is a bad pick to say they will win the conference, but they return quite a bit of talent and had a nice class. It isn't out of the realm of possibility that they win the conference. It is just pretty unlikely.

I agree. I gave them a 1% chance of winning it so definitely not our of the realm of possibility. For the record I only give Iowa State a .0005% chance of winning so Mizzou has 20 times the chance of winning the conference than Iowa State. When you look at it that way it's pretty good.

NMsooner, I'm curious would you rather have Brady Morningstar or Cade Davis on your team next year or Marcus Denmon?

That's just absurd.

Post #28
http://ouhoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9737&highlight=mizzou&page=2

I'll stick with 2+ spots higher than your prediction.

I'm not picking anyone until it's known who will or won't be playing in the Big 12 next year. If MU's commitments all make it to campus and come close to the hype, they have as much of a chance as anyone.

Post #28
http://ouhoops.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9737&highlight=mizzou&page=2

I'll stick with 2+ spots higher than your prediction.

I'm not picking anyone until it's known who will or won't be playing in the Big 12 next year. If MU's commitments all make it to campus and come close to the hype, they have as much of a chance as anyone.

Hey that's a good find. At least I was close on K-State.
I'm picking Mizzou as 5th this year.
Why wouldn't MU's commitments make it to campus? Who's on the fence?
I'll stick by my 1% chance of Mizzou winning it. They've never won it with far more talent than this team has.
What is the last Mizzou team to win the conference...would have been Big 8.
If they won with Lee Coward and Doug Smith can't really count that since they had to cheat their butts off to get them.

Back