Where do you see this program going?

OUBasketball09

Reaction score
Ok, say we keep Jeff Capel for the next 10-15 seasons or more. Where do you see this program on a yearly basis? Do you see us up with UNC, Duke, UK, KU and the top notch programs? Or do you see consistently in the top 15-25 area? If we can become a powerhouse under Capel, it will help us real in a big fish for a coach when his time is over at OU.

In your scenario easily a top 10 program year after year.

I love Capel, but I don't think he'll ever get us to the "powerhouse" status where we're in the top five every year to start the season like the Kansas' and North Carolina's of the world.

But he'll recruit well enough to have us in the dance every year, consistently ranked in the Top 20, and then when everything falls right on the roster, we'll be able to gear up for a Final Four run.

Just a wild guess, but if Capel is here over the next 10 years I think the program will be a 1 seed twice, a two seed twice, a 3-4 seed twice and a 4-8 seed four times.

I love Capel, but I don't think he'll ever get us to the "powerhouse" status where we're in the top five every year to start the season like the Kansas' and North Carolina's of the world.

But he'll recruit well enough to have us in the dance every year, consistently ranked in the Top 20, and then when everything falls right on the roster, we'll be able to gear up for a Final Four run.

Just a wild guess, but if Capel is here over the next 10 years I think the program will be a 1 seed twice, a two seed twice, a 3-4 seed twice and a 4-8 seed four times.

Capel will be in the NBA sometime in the next 5 years, if I had to guess.... His dream is to be a GM or work in the NBA, not at the college level.

Hopefully he stays longer than 5 years though!

Last edited:

If he can't get us to to the promise land like a top 10 program year after year, I don't think anyone ever will.

I see Jeff Capel winning the first NCAA basketball championship at OU. We were one game from the FF this year. Just sit back and watch as Coach Capel keeps building this program. I truly believe that he can take us to the top. BOOMER SOONER BABY!!!:jcapel:clap

I think its entirely dependent upon fans.

If attendance remains high and even continues to build. And the excitement and interest in basketball will continue to grow, then the sky is the limit because everything else is in place.

If attendance remains high and even continues to build. And the excitement and interest in basketball will continue to grow, then the sky is the limit because everything else is in place.

This is so very important on several fronts.

Recruiting Players --- The OU coaches are getting wonderful recruiting results. Improving fan support will make this job easier.

Keeping Successful Coaches --- Coach Capel and his staff deserves, and gets, "a lot of love" from the enthusiastic fans on this message board. Successful professionals should feel wanted and appreciated. More and more OU fans should jump on board to keep this train rolling.

Taking the Next Step Up --- Everything else is in place to turn this Sooner program into a "monster" basketball juggernaut. A "tough ticket" to each and every home game would make the LNC so much fun, that more and more studs would be breaking down the door to play for Jeff Capel.

The foundation for good attendance and an enthusiastic arena will always be the students. I hope the support from the student body continues to grow. If it does, great things will happen.

:OUbball-logo:

This is so very important on several fronts.

Recruiting Players --- The OU coaches are getting wonderful recruiting results. Improving fan support will make this job easier.

Keeping Successful Coaches --- Coach Capel and his staff deserves, and gets, "a lot of love" from the enthusiastic fans on this message board. Successful professionals should feel wanted and appreciated. More and more OU fans should jump on board to keep this train rolling.

Taking the Next Step Up --- Everything else is in place to turn this Sooner program into a "monster" basketball juggernaut. A "tough ticket" to each and every home game would make the LNC so much fun, that more and more studs would be breaking down the door to play for Jeff Capel.

The foundation for good attendance and an enthusiastic arena will always be the students. I hope the support from the student body continues to grow. If it does, great things will happen.

:OUbball-logo:

I do too. BT and others have done a tremendous job of promoting the program to the students and that is really where the excitement and atmosphere begins. If it continues to build, there is no telling where this program and support can be in a few short years.

I just hope that stupid helmet schtick doesn't catch on.

Sweet Sixteen or bust from now on are my expectations with the type of talent Jeff is starting to bring in.

I agree with Cheno. OU should be a top 10 program as long as Coach is at the helm. Jeff is proving to be a formidable recruiter. He and his staff have done a good job developing players like LL and TG. Now that he finally found his true pg, the offense should be more consistent. IMO, the sky is the limit for the OU basketball program.

I agree with Cheno. OU should be a top 10 program as long as Coach is at the helm. Jeff is proving to be a formidable recruiter. He and his staff have done a good job developing players like LL and TG. Now that he finally found his true pg, the offense should be more consistent. IMO, the sky is the limit for the OU basketball program.

yep, yep. It's going to be one helluva ride. :clap

Back