Will anyone redshirt this year?

thebigabd

Reaction score
Hardrick seems like the only redshirt candidate this year.

Hardrick seems like the only redshirt candidate this year.

That would be my guess as well. However, with so many unproven post guys, Kyle will need to be ready to play if called upon.

Barry Honre' will redshirt to to transfer rules.

What about Pledger, Davis or Willis redshirting? If you assume Willie, Crocker and TMG all play 30+ that does not leave many minutes for those three. I am not sure they any of them should redshirt but I could see the guy on the bottom of the depth chart personally consider it. Next year you have to assume two starters are gone. That would open up a lot of minutes.

What about Pledger, Davis or Willis redshirting? If you assume Willie, Crocker and TMG all play 30+ that does not leave many minutes for those three. I am not sure they any of them should redshirt but I could see the guy on the bottom of the depth chart personally consider it. Next year you have to assume two starters are gone. That would open up a lot of minutes.

I would actually like to see Pledger redshirt... Not because he isnt good or needs a ton of work, but because I hate to see eligibility wasted by never playing ala Longar Longar and Ray Willis.

i'd be very surprised if coach decides to redshirt anyone. i even think bird will log more minutes than ray this year. and i don't think hardrick will because imo coach would like that scholarship available in four years rather than five.

I would actually like to see Pledger redshirt... Not because he isnt good or needs a ton of work, but because I hate to see eligibility wasted by never playing ala Longar Longar and Ray Willis.

Dont worry about Pledger getting minutes....He'll play and contribute

Dont worry about Pledger getting minutes....He'll play and contribute

I thought the same thing about Ray Willis last year and we saw him in the final minute of some non-conference games. It was a total waste of his eligibility that I almost find unethical. I mean, he got robbed of a year of eligibility. He has big time potential, and he just sat over there and did nothing all year.

I dont know what Capel was thinking on that one.

I think Pledger and Ray are very different coming in as freshman. Ray really was set back by the stabbing and Steve has a lot closer to a D-1 body than Ray had as a freshman. Those along with his shooting touch are advantages Steve had over freshman Ray right now, I don't know if that is enough to overcome sophomore Ray for minutes. But I don't think it is fair to either to compare them to each other as freshman as they each have fairly different postives and negatives as freshman.

I think Pledger and Ray are very different coming in as freshman. Ray really was set back by the stabbing and Steve has a lot closer to a D-1 body than Ray had as a freshman. Those along with his shooting touch are advantages Steve had over freshman Ray right now, I don't know if that is enough to overcome sophomore Ray for minutes. But I don't think it is fair to either to compare them to each other as freshman as they each have fairly different postives and negatives as freshman.

I agree, physically they're two completely different players.

However, Willis should have been redshirted, definitely a waste. Have to agree with ABD, the ball was dropped on that one.

However, Willis should have been redshirted, definitely a waste. Have to agree with ABD, the ball was dropped on that one.

No kidding. Capel owes Willis a serious apology. The roster situation this year is pretty much the same for Willis this year too, only you add Stephen Pledger. If he isnt going to play at all this year he should redshirt, but he will probably transfer if that happens again.

No kidding. Capel owes Willis a serious apology. The roster situation this year is pretty much the same for Willis this year too, only you add Stephen Pledger. If he isnt going to play at all this year he should redshirt, but he will probably transfer if that happens again.

How do you know that Ray wasn't promised to play right away his first year? Ray may have not wanted to redshirt even though he knew he would get scrap minutes. We don't know enough to warrant saying that Capel owes Ray anything.

Last edited:
I think Pledger and Ray are very different coming in as freshman. Ray really was set back by the stabbing and Steve has a lot closer to a D-1 body than Ray had as a freshman.

I'm not so sure it was the stabbing that set Ray back as he was immature physically and more important mentally. He didn't have the right frame of mind.

When it comes down to it, Ray didn't play last year because Ray didn't earn the PT in practice, for whatever reason. It could have been the stabbing, or other factors as well, but we'll probably never know. IMHO, Capel owed him nothing last year in tems of PT, and he doesn't owe him anything this year, either. If Ray plays, its because he's one of the better players on team and has earned it. The only caveat is that he'd better lace 'em up tight because he's gonna have a tough time beating out Bird for PT because Bird showed up with an attitude ready to roll.

Any way you slice it, this dynamic will almost certainly make the team better, so its good all around:clap.

Last edited:
I'm not so sure it was the stabbing that set Ray back as he was immature physically and more important mentally. He didn't have the right frame of mind.

This. And, didn't the kid get a DUI mid season?

Kind of hard to play someone who is suspended.

I guess I didn't know about the DUI, ID.....but that could be another reason.

The stabbing hurt Ray's progress for sure. He lost 8 pounds as a result (on top of not being able to work out or play ball).

Back