Would Willie Warren have gone in the top 5?

SoonersRule

Banned
Reaction score
I am curious to hear your thoughts? He seemed like a better prospect then Demar Derozan and James Harden.

I am curious to hear your thoughts? He seemed like a better prospect then Demar Derozan and James Harden.

Good question. I saw him projected as high as #6 in the mocks. It probably would have come down to how well he tested out. I think he would have done really well at the work-outs. Our own fanbase for the most part has no idea how good Willie really is because he was so unselfish last year with Blake.

I am not sure if he would have gone top 5 or not this year. I would guess that he would have been in the top 7.

Absolutely BT. Willie had to sacrifice a good part of his game to play through Blake. Some of us just don't get that. It's very realistic for Willie to average close to twenty points per game. BOOMER SOONER BABY!!!:willie922_jpg_xs:

No, not this year.

He might have more potential then some of the points taken early, but most of them had enough of an experience/size advantage, that I think WW would have slipped some. Probably somewhere between 7-12.

Two or three months ago I said that I thought Willie Warren would be a great fit for the Thunder. The ideal backcourt mate for Westbrook is a combo guard who is a good ballhandler, can play some minutes at the point, can consistently hit outside shots, and can play off the ball. Willie can do all of that, and he can take over as the primary ballhandler and as a scorer when guys like Durant and Westbrook are on the bench. If Willie were in this draft, chances are that the Thunder wouldn't have taken him at #3, but I would have been happy if they had.

I agree with Cheno that 5-10 was most likely his range, with a small possibility of slipping into 11-15. In the past I was concerned about Willie's size hurting his stock, but his arms do look really long. I think that he'll measure short for a SG simply in terms of height but that it will be negated by a very good wingspan and standing reach, much like Westbrook and Gordon a year ago.

No, if he shows he can play the PG some this year he may be top 5 next year.

Eric Gordon was DYNAMIC to say the least his Freshman year but being a shorter SG pushed him back to #7.

Eric Gordon was DYNAMIC to say the least his Freshman year but being a shorter SG pushed him back to #7.

That was a great draft though. Having James Harden go 3 shows what kind of draft this year was....

Willie would have had a shot to go top 5 this year because I feel he would have had some really good work-outs and would have tested well (except for his height....but he would have made up for it with his length, reach etc...) Westbrook didn't play the point at UCLA.

Gordon falling to #7 had more to do with him being a very streaky player at Indiana and being in a very strong draft. Sure, if Gordon were bigger maybe he would have gone higher, but it's not as though he was THAT undersized. O.J. Mayo went #3 in that draft, and he wasn't any bigger than Gordon.

Also, as BT mentioned, you can't compare the 2008 draft to the 2009 draft. The 2008 version of Eric Gordon would've been a Top 5 pick in the 2009 draft.

I think he for sure would have went behind Griffin, Thabeet, Harden, and Rubio. Depending on how he did in the workouts, interviews, etc... He could have been Tyreke Evans or Eric Maynor, this draft was so fluid it seemed like.

Next year's draft is weak so i don't think WW made a mistake by passing up this weak draft. I think as long as he improves and keeps his head straight he'll certainly be top 5 next year. He's as talented as anyone in the country and has huge upside.

Next year's draft is weak so i don't think WW made a mistake by passing up this weak draft. I think as long as he improves and keeps his head straight he'll certainly be top 5 next year. He's as talented as anyone in the country and has huge upside.

Would you quit saying next year's class is weak already. You've already been shown that you're wrong, yet your stubbornness won't allow you to admit that you're wrong.

Would you quit saying next year's class is weak already. You've already been shown that you're wrong, yet your stubbornness won't allow you to admit that you're wrong.

It is weak. Where have I been shown I'm wrong?
I mean seriously NBA Draft nets top 5 next year is:

1) John Wall
2) Ed Davis (please #2 wow)
3) Some guy from Lithinuia
4) Paul George from Fresno St. (who???)
5) Cole Aldrich (stiff)

Craig Brackins is top 10. He was told he was around 20 this year.
It's arguable whether or not it is a weaker draft than this past year but overall it's definitely another weak draft.

1) John Wall
5) Cole Aldrich (stiff)

It's arguable whether or not it is a weaker draft than this past year but overall it's definitely another weak draft.

Have you even watched any of those guys play minus Aldrich?

And once again you're going off of nbadraft.net which has shown it's inferiority time and time again.

1) John Wall
5) Cole Aldrich (stiff)

Like X said, you keep citing one of the most terrible draft sites out there. Sometimes it takes them months or even years, but eventually they figure out that Jabahri Brown and Longar Longar aren't early second round picks.

Ed Davis was projected to be a Top 5 pick in the 2009 draft, so #2 in 2010 isn't a stretch.

What exactly do you hate about "Some guy from Lithuania?" I know he hasn't looked great on all of those Lithuanian League games they air on American television, but why is he such a scrub? If he goes Top 5 in the 2010 draft, it might be the worse draft since 2003 when some guy from Serbia went #2 overall. I'm sure that in June 2002 if someone had shown you the Top 5 picks in the 2003 draft you would have been anticipating a great draft:

1) LeBron James--high school phenom, SI cover boy, this one makes sense
2) Darko Milicic
3) Carmelo Anthony--high school player, hasn't proven anything
4) Chris Bosh--who? just another high school kid not named LeBron
5) Dwyane Wade--kid who dominates C-USA with no jump shot

Draft Express has Brackins projected at #18 this year.

When was the last time that five or more lottery locks and several other potential lottery picks turned down the draft to stay in school another year? The 2010 draft will have more high-quality players who returned to school for a second or third year as well as what is widely considered to be a strong freshman class.

Back