2024-25 Schedule News

I don’t have any sources on this. But I think our lack of attendance is hurting who they can bring to Norman. Schools expect a payout to play a non con road game. The only time in last few years we brought in an out of conference power team is the challenges. All our other games are neutral sight or tournaments. So OU has to get home games for season ticket holders. So question comes, what comes first, attendance or getting better teams to Norman? Do we loose money operating a game, including payout to other team, just to have better competition? I don’t know the answer. But I will be at all the home games.
I think we will likely pay more, not less, due to this schedule. The programs we are playing are precisely the kind that rely on buy games for their basketball budget.

By contrast, we probably wouldn’t have to pay a decent AAC or Missouri Valley team that is looking for a quality game.

So what I see is that for a decade, we never played more than two games against 300+ teams. In four years under Moser, it’s gone 3, 3, 4, and now it’ll be 7. And the gap between 147 and 202 is a big one.

The thing I just don’t understand is regardless of how an individual coach prefers to schedule, we KNOW, for a fact, what the committee looks at. Even if a coach doesn’t agree with the committee’s philosophy, if your goal is to give yourself the best chance of making the tournament, you need to adjust the approach. Instead, he has doubled down on a losing philosophy.

If Michigan, OSU, and Georgia Tech don’t have really good seasons, and/or if we lose to Providence and have to settle for Davidson in our next game in the Bahamas, this schedule will somehow look even worse.
I know my analysis was very generalized, but we are also splitting hairs a bit.

For example, 2012 Kruger had teams of 304, 273, 276, 292, and 343. That would be 5 you could probably consider in that awful range, no?
2017 he would have had 3 that were 270+
2018 he would have had 3 that were 270+

In that same vain, you could add 1 to Moser in 2022 bc of 265 Alcorn St, and another 1 in 2024 bc of 277 Central Michigan.

That is why I included the overall average. Over the course of their tenures they were not that far apart.

I am curious what we think is a good cut-off, bc I would argue 150+ should be guaranteed wins. Moser has at least had a VERY good record over his tenure against those teams.

Worst OOC losses for each coach:
YearCoachBest WinWorst LossOOC Record
2024​
Moser57 Iowa9 North Carolina12-1
2023​
Moser58 Seton Hall73 Sam Houston St9-3
2022​
Moser18 Arkansas121 Butler10-2
2021*​
Kruger9 Alabama66 Xavier6-1
2020​
Kruger27 Minnesota43 Stanford9-3
2019​
Kruger18 Wofford16 Wisconsin11-1
2018​
Kruger21 Wichita St44 Arkansas10-1
2017​
Kruger45 Clemson169 Northern Iowa6-5
2016​
Kruger1 VillanovaN/A11-0
2015​
Kruger20 Butler119 Washington9-3
2014​
Kruger82 Tulsa37 Louisiana Tech11-2
2013​
Kruger82 Ohio80 Arkansas9-3
2012​
Kruger91 Oral Roberts31 Cincinnati10-2

A couple things to note, OOC schedules in 2012, 2013, 2014 are worse than the 2024 OOC schedule as a whole. (in my opinion)

To WS's point, those 300+ probably bring it down a tad. Swapping out a few 300 for 100-150 would not make or break us. JUST BEAT BUTLER for goodness sake. Moser has a good record vs. 100+ teams, so it shouldn't matter having those tougher games in there. Kruger got off to a slow start schedule wise, so is Moser...but in this day and age that may not be enough to save your job. Just gotta win.

Last edited:
Not sure why but it seems to be that Kruger's teams struggled against teams that we shouldn't in the nonconference...even if we didn't lose the games.
Moser's teams seem to handle these games pretty easily

I know my analysis was very generalized, but we are also splitting hairs a bit.

For example, 2012 Kruger had teams of 304, 273, 276, 292, and 343. That would be 5 you could probably consider in that awful range, no?
2017 he would have had 3 that were 270+
2018 he would have had 3 that were 270+

In that same vain, you could add 1 to Moser in 2022 bc of 265 Alcorn St, and another 1 in 2024 bc of 277 Central Michigan.

That is why I included the overall average. Over the course of their tenures they were not that far apart.

I am curious what we think is a good cut-off, bc I would argue 150+ should be guaranteed wins. Moser has at least had a VERY good record over his tenure against those teams.

Worst OOC losses for each coach:
YearCoachBest WinWorst LossOOC Record
2024​
Moser57 Iowa9 North Carolina12-1
2023​
Moser58 Seton Hall73 Sam Houston St9-3
2022​
Moser18 Arkansas121 Butler10-2
2021*​
Kruger9 Alabama66 Xavier6-1
2020​
Kruger27 Minnesota43 Stanford9-3
2019​
Kruger18 Wofford16 Wisconsin11-1
2018​
Kruger21 Wichita St44 Arkansas10-1
2017​
Kruger45 Clemson169 Northern Iowa6-5
2016​
Kruger1 VillanovaN/A11-0
2015​
Kruger20 Butler119 Washington9-3
2014​
Kruger82 Tulsa37 Louisiana Tech11-2
2013​
Kruger82 Ohio80 Arkansas9-3
2012​
Kruger91 Oral Roberts31 Cincinnati10-2

A couple things to note, OOC schedules in 2012, 2013, 2014 are worse than the 2024 OOC schedule as a whole.

To WS's point, those 300+ probably bring it down a tad. Swapping out a few 300 for 100-150 would not make or break us. JUST BEAT BUTLER for goodness sake. Moser has a good record vs. 100+ teams, so it shouldn't matter having those tougher games in there. Kruger got off to a slow start schedule wise, so is Moser...but in this day and age that may not be enough to save your job. Just gotta win.
Not trying to be sense but genuinely confused when you say the 2012-2014 noncon schedules were worse than last year's. Your data shows that our noncon SOS last year was 320, which was worse than any season under Lon and far worse than all but one season. I am obviously missing something . . .

Not trying to be sense but genuinely confused when you say the 2012-2014 noncon schedules were worse than last year's. Your data shows that our noncon SOS last year was 320, which was worse than any season under Lon and far worse than all but one season. I am obviously missing something . . .
Sorry about the confusion, for me it was the "eyeball" test. Adding (in my opinion) now.

We had 1 or 2 good games each year, but a few more in 2024. Just that those level 300+ games brought down the OOC that much more. (Made it look way worse than the overall was - bell curve distribution was further in both directions) More a testament to your point of subbing out 300 games for a few 100-200 level ones would crank that OOC up up up.

1725469224857.png
1725469249005.png
1725469327894.png

1725469345723.png

Sorry about the confusion, for me it was the "eyeball" test. Adding (in my opinion) now.

We had 1 or 2 good games each year, but a few more in 2024. Just that those level 300+ games brought down the OOC that much more. (Made it look way worse than the overall was - bell curve distribution was further in both directions) More a testament to your point of subbing out 300 games for a few 100-200 level ones would crank that OOC up up up.

View attachment 2070
View attachment 2071
View attachment 2072

View attachment 2073
Thanks for clarifying. I guess what stands out to me is that Lon's first year was an easy schedule when he came in and had to clean up the Capel mess, but then he steadily did away with any awful opponents. By contrast, Moser is going the other direction. As bad as last season's schedule was, this year is significantly worse -- Green Bay, Texas State, and Monmouth look elite compared to all the teams coming to the LNC this season. We also played as many/more double digit (rather than 100+) teams in Lon's years than we did last season, so it wasn't just a matter of avoiding the 300-level teams.

I think we will likely pay more, not less, due to this schedule. The programs we are playing are precisely the kind that rely on buy games for their basketball budget.

By contrast, we probably wouldn’t have to pay a decent AAC or Missouri Valley team that is looking for a quality game.
If it’s like football, they get a set amount or percentage of game day revenue. Low attendance means low game day revenue. And no decent team is going to want to come to OU when they can play neutral games at other places. Neutral games are hurting the home and away non con.

Realistically, everybody knows this is Moser’s last year. His hope is to have a winning enough schedule to get outta Norman. And if he doesn’t then he’ll be fired anyways. It’s so sad that this is the state of OU basketball.
You Wichita s sister?

They are so scared to schedule good teams! Always those bad bad teams. Can’t even get a good mid major !
has nothing to do with being scared. Yes we schedule plenty of bad bad teams. But don't act like we don't also schedule mid major and above teams as well.
Every year Moser has had atleast 5 mid major or better teams on the schedule in nonconf

has nothing to do with being scared. Yes we schedule plenty of bad bad teams. But don't act like we don't also schedule mid major and above teams as well.
Every year Moser has had atleast 5 mid major or better teams on the schedule in nonconf
5 of 13 is something to be proud of? Especially when the majority of those games come in tournaments or conference challenges that Moser doesn’t schedule himself?

5 of 13 is something to be proud of? Especially when the majority of those games come in tournaments or conference challenges that Moser doesn’t schedule himself?
Once again why ruin tournament hopes in the non con? Do what you’re suppose to and go 11-2 or 10-3… knowing that your conf schedule will be tough enough!

You’re just witching to be witching.

Never said it was something to be proud of. Just that OU isn't scared to play mid majors.
ATLEAST 5 of 13 of mid major OR BETTER is good when playing a tough conference schedule.
I'll concede that we don't need as many 300 net teams but my response was on Moser being scared of mid majors. That is laughable

Once again why ruin tournament hopes in the non con? Do what you’re suppose to and go 11-2 or 10-3… knowing that your conf schedule will be tough enough!

You’re just witching to be witching.
You honestly still don't understand this? The way he schedules is what is ruining our tournament hopes. We were apparently the last team cut from the tourney. Replace a single NET 300 team with a reasonable opponent, and we would have likely made the tourney even though we couldn't beat the good teams in our league. You keep pointing to the number of noncon wins as if the raw number matters. This isn't 1995. We KNOW the committee looks an noncon SOS as a major factor. Instead of learning a lesson from what the committee did last season, Moser chose to hold a news conference, whine, pretend like there was no way of knowing what the committee wants, and then went out and created a schedule far worse than last season's horrible schedule.

You honestly still don't understand this? The way he schedules is what is ruining our tournament hopes. We were apparently the last team cut from the tourney. Replace a single NET 300 team with a reasonable opponent, and we would have likely made the tourney even though we couldn't beat the good teams in our league. You keep pointing to the number of noncon wins as if the raw number matters. This isn't 1995. We KNOW the committee looks an noncon SOS as a major factor. Instead of learning a lesson from what the committee did last season, Moser chose to hold a news conference, whine, pretend like there was no way of knowing what the committee wants, and then went out and created a schedule far worse than last season's horrible schedule.
The ignorance on this subject is pretty crazy. Either ignorance or stubbornness. The committee has proven time and time again that OOC schedule matters. NET 300 teams do nothing.

The ignorance on this subject is pretty crazy. Either ignorance or stubbornness. The committee has proven time and time again that OOC schedule matters. NET 300 teams do nothing.
i think the committee has proven it changes what it looks at each year.

At the end of the day, those that hate moser won't change their mind about the noncof scheduling. If it isn't nonconf scheduling it would be something else
Those that don't hate moser won't change their mind either. It is what it is.

At the end of the day, those that hate moser won't change their mind about the noncof scheduling. If it isn't nonconf scheduling it would be something else
As a Moser disliker I would absolutely give him props if he learned from last year and scheduled a tougher noncon schedule.

They gradually evolve over the years, but the emphasis on noncon SOS had been consistent for many years. Unless you believe that Lon Kruger and Bill Self are clairvoyant and/or simply got lucky a decade ago when they began crafting schedules designed to play to the system, it's safe to say this knowledge has been out there for many years.

Here is what I don't get -- Coach (and others, including you) keep suggesting that the best route is to schedule soft so you can assure yourself of 10 or 11 wins, and then let the conference schedule take care of your SOS. That's exactly what we did last year. In fact, we went 12-1 . . . and it was utterly meaningless because we sucked so bad against the best teams in our league. Again . . . we have definitive proof that approach doesn't work. Now, if we were a good enough team that we could hold our own against tourney teams in our league, sure, you could schedule cupcakes and still make the tournament by going .500 (or close to it) against the best teams in your league. In that case, the soft noncon would just cost us a seed line or two. But since Moser can't keep his head above water against the truly good teams in his league, he needs to give his team a chance to build a solid resume in November and December. Playing seven teams that probably wouldn't be able to beat a quality JUCO squad doesn't give us that chance.

Back