'24 NCAA Tourney Discussion Thread

This is my last post on TY to not derail the thread further. Great player but even before he was on campus I think he rubbed current players the wrong way. I said it on this board before the season started that I'm not sure the team is going to like a high school senior taking ownership of the team and "saving" the program before even putting any sweat into the team.
But to give him credit, he was indisputably the best player..

As we have established, bball is a team sport. That team was never a team. There was something off all year.

I'm guessing you fault LK for all of those issues in you post because that sounds just like the issues we had this year that are all PM's fault
Yep, that team did not have good offensive structure. LK catered that entire team to Trae, even though teams figured out the high pick n' roll and heavy iso tendencies. LK never developed any counters. For as good as Trae was and from day 1 in the NBA he became the offensive hub for the hawks, the 2017-18 team only scored 0.5 pts more per 100 possessions than this year's squad.

Last edited:
People were faulting Lon, .. and Kelvin, .. and Capel lol. I am pretty sure if we had this board in 1982 or 1992 we would have been calling for Billy’s head. Just wish our AD cared as much as the fans do.

People were faulting Lon, .. and Kelvin, .. and Capel lol. I am pretty sure if we had this board in 1982 or 1992 we would have been calling for Billy’s head. Just wish our AD cared as much as the fans do.
Every coach of every team is criticized by some segment of the fan base. Just because the criticism is wrong sometimes, doesn’t mean it is all the time. And all the guys you named accomplished a heck of a lot more than CW (Culture Wall) Moser.

it isn't slander if it is true.
He's a great player.
Came in with the wrong attitude and the team here never gelled.
That team was much too talented to have the record they did and to end the season like they did
As for the NBA, I don't follow the hawks closely but they are well under 500 in the time he has been there
Young was not the attitude issue on that team .. was he perfect of course not he was a freshman ...

but he was not the issue ..... older players that thought they were better then him were the issue ...

Young was not the attitude issue on that team .. was he perfect of course not he was a freshman ...

but he was not the issue ..... older players that thought they were better then him were the issue ...
Read: CJ

Again, I don't care how good a player is...you don't come onto a team as the savior. That just isn't how it works in sports. That is a recipe for disaster.
I think it is pretty clear that the older players didn't like TY and I don't blame them. I highly doubt they legitimately didn't realize he was a lot better player than they were.

Again, I don't care how good a player is...you don't come onto a team as the savior. That just isn't how it works in sports. That is a recipe for disaster.
I think it is pretty clear that the older players didn't like TY and I don't blame them. I highly doubt they legitimately didn't realize he was a lot better player than they were.
Great players come onto a team to be the savior all the time. What are you even talking about? Lebron was the savior of Cleveland and then Miami. Magic was the savior of the Lakers. Larry Bird was the savior of Indiana State and then the Celtics. The examples go on and on.

If our guys were jealous of TY and didn’t “like” him, then that was on them. It wasn’t Trae’s fault.

Great players come onto a team to be the savior all the time. What are you even talking about? Lebron was the savior of Cleveland and then Miami. Magic was the savior of the Lakers. Larry Bird was the savior of Indiana State and then the Celtics. The examples go on and on.

If our guys were jealous of TY and didn’t “like” him, then that was on them. It wasn’t Trae’s fault.
And until NIL led to some guys sticking around, freshmen had become the most high profile guys in the sport.

Do you not think there is a difference in professional sports and amateur athletics?
I'm guessing 99% of seasoned professionals in any profession have seen the talented cocky recent grad come into the work force trying to dictate how things are going to go etc...that usually doesn't work out very well until the new kid is humbled. Its a toxic work environment.

It is a big different when talking about the NBA and professional sports

Do you not think there is a difference in professional sports and amateur athletics?
I'm guessing 99% of seasoned professionals in any profession have seen the talented cocky recent grad come into the work force trying to dictate how things are going to go etc...that usually doesn't work out very well until the new kid is humbled. Its a toxic work environment.

It is a big different when talking about the NBA and professional sports
Should I give you 5,000 examples of college freshman who came in as “saviors?” Your premise is ridiculous.

Should I give you 5,000 examples of college freshman who came in as “saviors?” Your premise is ridiculous.
I hear the 2003 Syracuse team hates Melo and would gladly give back their rings if it meant they didn’t have to deal with him being their best player. And can you imagine the poor Texas players having to put up with Durant, or KSU and Beasley? How dare they come in and take leading roles!

I hear the 2003 Syracuse team hates Melo and would gladly give back their rings if it meant they didn’t have to deal with him being their best player. And can you imagine the poor Texas players having to put up with Durant, or KSU and Beasley? How dare they come in and take leading roles!
Did they proclaim themselves saviors of the program? Or did they come in humbly as a teammate?

Did they proclaim themselves saviors of the program? Or did they come in humbly as a teammate?
How many posts is this since your “last post” on the topic?

Since you seem fixated on one comment attributed to Trae, how about you refresh our memory on precisely what he said and when he said it.

mcgusty and to a lesser extent James thought they were the best players on the team ..

mcgusty was pissed at coming off the bench ... .. and his parents were involved in complaining to the staff ..

those were both much much bigger issues then TY

How many posts is this since your “last post” on the topic?

Since you seem fixated on one comment attributed to Trae, how about you refresh our memory on precisely what he said and when he said it.
well when you guys keep posting about it and calling me out...yeah I'm going to respond.
TY's team's vastly underperformed in big 12 play. WHy was that in your estimation?

Back