6 man rotation

bocabull

Banned
Reaction score
It is pretty obvious by now we only have 6 players ready to step on the court vs any top 100 team and not give up a 15-0 run.

Capel needs to ignore foul trouble. If a guy gets 2 fouls in the first half, leave them in.

Capel also needs to burn his timeouts whenever they are needed. If OSU goes on a run don't wait for a TV timeout and try to save our timeouts for something strategic. Waste them right then.

We will win this game if we stay away from our bench and away from the big runs. The 2 things I mentioned above are a 100% must.

Taking guys out due to foul trouble or hoping we can make it to a TV timeout before a run gets too big are much bigger risks than the opposite.

Throw the coaching book away coach. You only have 6 players who won't cost you the game.

It is pretty obvious by now we only have 6 players ready to step on the court vs any top 100 team and not give up a 15-0 run.

Capel needs to ignore foul trouble. If a guy gets 2 fouls in the first half, leave them in.

Capel also needs to burn his timeouts whenever they are needed. If OSU goes on a run don't wait for a TV timeout and try to save our timeouts for something strategic. Waste them right then.

We will win this game if we stay away from our bench and away from the big runs. The 2 things I mentioned above are a 100% must.

Taking guys out due to foul trouble or hoping we can make it to a TV timeout before a run gets too big are much bigger risks than the opposite.

Throw the coaching book away coach. You only have 6 players who won't cost you the game.

You can't leave Tiny in the game if he has two fouls at the 10 minute mark of the first half. I don't care what the risks are, he has to sit most of that stretch.

I agree... he will foul out by halftime or start giving up even more layups of you leave him in there.

You can't leave Tiny in the game if he has two fouls at the 10 minute mark of the first half. I don't care what the risks are, he has to sit most of that stretch.

Well sure if you don't care what the risks are (getting blown out), then by all means stick to the book.

I disagree. With this team, I would take him out at that point for maybe a minute or two, let him settle down and catch his breath, and put him back out there with strict orders not to foul. A restricted Tiny is better than a all-out Ryan Wright. Now, I would make sure that we weren't in that 4 guard lineup, so that Fitz or Wright could still be aggressive on the glass and with help defense.

Good point bigtime. The 4 guard lineup is what has killed us.

We need Crocker, Tiny and Fitz in the game as much as possible. Let WW, TMG and he who shall not be named play 2 at a time.

I agree that Tiny cannot ride the bench for long--it completely changed the game on Saturday.

I disagree. With this team, I would take him out at that point for maybe a minute or two, let him settle down and catch his breath, and put him back out there with strict orders not to foul. A restricted Tiny is better than a all-out Ryan Wright. Now, I would make sure that we weren't in that 4 guard lineup, so that Fitz or Wright could still be aggressive on the glass and with help defense.

That might work against the bad OOC teams we've played. We put Tiny in there against Baylor, or OSU, or UT, or KU, or any other good conference team, and they'll take such a big advantage of Tiny inside that it'll create the same effect.

We shouldn't need Tiny in the game to avoid getting blown out. How about we work on two things 1) teaching Tiny not to foul, and 2) playing good without Tiny, instead of trying to put a bandage on the problem? If it were as simple as telling him not to foul, Capel would tell him that from the beginning.

Conventional coaching wisdom would put Tiny on the bench when he picks up that second foul, except the drop-off in talent and ability this season falls off dramatically when he's not on the floor.

Despite Baylor's size advantage on Saturday, OU competed quite well with them until Tiny went out. From that point forward it was all Baylor, because we had no answer for their size on offense or defense. Sad to say, but there is no one on this team even remotely capable of filling in for Tiny for more than brief periods. Fitzgerald is playing better than any other post player right now. But he is at his best when Gallon is on the floor.

I agree with those who say Coach should give TG a short breather, a pep talk about avoiding silly fouls, and then put him back in. Conventional coaching wisdom doesn't work worth a flip when your only options at the post, aside from Fitz, will likely get you beat.

Conventional coaching wisdom would put Tiny on the bench when he picks up that second foul, except the drop-off in talent and ability this season falls off dramatically when he's not on the floor.

Despite Baylor's size advantage on Saturday, OU competed quite well with them until Tiny went out. From that point forward it was all Baylor, because we had no answer for their size on offense or defense. Sad to say, but there is no one on this team even remotely capable of filling in for Tiny for more than brief periods. Fitzgerald is playing better than any other post player right now. But he is at his best when Gallon is on the floor.

I agree with those who say Coach should give TG a short breather, a pep talk about avoiding silly fouls, and then put him back in. Conventional coaching wisdom doesn't work worth a flip when your only options at the post, aside from Fitz, will likely get you beat.

Exactly. Desperate times call for desperate measures.

Give him that pep talk prior to the game. And if he needs a breather get him in better shape.

From what I have seen a tired Tiny trying to avoid fouls is still better than our young guards + Ryan Wright lineup guaranteed to give up a 15-0 run.

Here's my lineup.

PG - Tommy Mason Griffin
SG - Cade Davis
SF - Tony Crocker
PF - Andrew Fitzgerald
C - Tiny Gallon

Bench
G - Stephen Pledger
F - Ryan Wright

That's all that would play for me right now.

In case your memory fails, Capel did put Tiny back in the game with quite a bit of time remaining in the first half. But even then, Baylor's momentum had reached freight train proportions, and the Sooners couldn't stop the bleeding, even with Tiny back in.

Also, Tiny played all (or most) of the second half, and OU was unable to keep the game close. I don't think Capel had a choice but to pull Tiny after he picked up that second foul. I do agree, however, that the Sooners were controlling the game up to that point.

We will have to play near perfect games when we're on the road (in conference play) to have a chance to win. And I agree that means Tiny MUST stay out of foul trouble. When we're at home, it's a different story. I believe we play well enough at the LNC that we beat the Pokes tonight.

Back