#97 Oklahoma Sooners: College Basketball 111 in 111 >>> sportsbank.net

BigTime

The Red Wig
Reaction score
#97 Oklahoma Sooners: College Basketball 111 in 111 >>> sportsbank.net

An interesting take. I'm not sure he is factoring in Kruger's coaching ability enough in our outlook/ranking but we will see. I for one will be disappointed if we are truely "97th" in the country at the end of the season.

His player to watch made me laugh though.

Source Link

Welcome to The Sports Bank’s second annual college basketball season preview series. Last year we looked at 99 teams in 99 days. This year, we are being slightly more aggressive and expanding to 111 teams in 111 days. We will rank the 74 power conference teams and top 37 mid-majors in reverse power ranking order. We’ll break down rosters, non-conference schedules, and pick a player to watch for each team.

Three years ago, the Blake Griffin-led Oklahoma Sooners were one of the hottest commodities in college basketball, coming within one game of reaching the Final Four. However, off the court issues and disappointing finishes on the court resulted in Jeff Capel getting fired this off-season. Former UNLV head coach Lon Kruger now tries to resurrect the program.

OKLAHOMASOONERS
Last Season: T-9th, 4-12 in Big 12, 13-18 overall
Predicted Big 12 Finish: 8th

Projected Depth Chart
F/C: Andrew Fitzgerald (Jr)/Casey Arent (Jr)/Barry Honore (Sr)
F: Romero Osby (Jr)/C.J. Washington (Sr)
SF: Cameron Clark (So)/Tyler Neal (So)
SG: Steven Pledger (Jr)
PG: Carl Blair (Jr)/Sam Grooms (Jr)/Calvin Newell (So)/T.J. Franklin (Sr)

Gone: SG-Cade Davis,SG-T.J. Taylor (transfer-Marquette), C-Abdul Ahmed (transfer), PF-Kyle Hardrick (transfer), PF-Nick Thompson (transfer)

2011-2012 Outlook:
With only one senior on the roster and several newcomers, Oklahoma was one of the youngest and least experienced major conference teams last season. Even though the Sooners return four of their five starters, they are still likely in for a long year.

A lack of size and talent inside was part of the reason for OU’s struggles a year ago, but that group should be more of a threat this season as Mississippi State transfer Romero Osby becomes eligible after sitting out last season. The 6-8 Osby figures to start up-front with Andrew Fitzgerald who is the top returning scorer and rebounder. Fitzgerald is also 6-8 though meaning it will be an undersized frontcourt that does not offer much in terms of protecting the rim on the defensive end.

Kruger will need 6-10 JUCO transfer Casey Arent to help provide some size in the middle. Arent is not the prototypical big man though as he has range out to the three-point line. Reserves C.J. Washington, Tyler Neal, and Barry Honore should re-assume their roles off the bench. Kruger also picked up a transfer in Wyoming power forward Amath M’Baye who should add some competition in practice while he sits out this season per NCAA transfer rules.

Perhaps the team’s most talented all-around player, Cameron Clark hopes to build off a solid but unspectacular freshman season. Clark’s athleticism and explosiveness around the rim are a nice compliment to starting shooting guard and fellow sophomore Steven Pledger. Pledger is a long distance gunner who attempted 177 triples as a freshman and that number should increase this year with Cade Davis now playing professionally overseas.

The point guard battle is one to watch this season in Norman. Carl Blair is the returning starter but will be pushed for playing time by Calvin Newell and Sam Grooms who was one of the top junior college players in the country this past season. Grooms is a reliable outside shooter who could easily see a decent amount of minutes at the two as well.

With further NCAA punishment on the horizon and a possible loss of future scholarships, Kruger may regret leaving UNLV for a program that seems to have gotten itself in hot water for the second time in less than five years. He certainly has his hands full in trying to re-build the Oklahoma program. While the roster is one year older and more experienced, it just lacks the true natural talent to compete in the Big 12 this season.

Player to Watch: James Fraschilla, G
Even though he will probably never see a significant minute all season, James Fraschilla might be the most popular player on the team simply because of his lineage. The freshman walk-on is the son of ESPN analyst and former coach, Fran Fraschilla. James weighs a whopping 140 pounds, looks like he is 12-years old, but will quickly become a crowd favorite in Norman.

Key Non-Conference Games:
11/24-27 vs. Villanova, New Mexico, Washington State, Boston College, St. Louis, Santa Clara, UC-Riverside (76 Classic)
12/10 vs. Arkansas
12/29 at Cincinnati

Re: #97 Oklahoma Sooners: College Basketball 111 in 111 >>> sportsbank.net

Wow, that sucks, But expected. Still extremely pumped for this season!

Seems fair to me.

That probably puts you around .500 on the season, and IMO anything more than that would be a major accomplishment by Kruger.

Seems fair to me.

That probably puts you around .500 on the season, and IMO anything more than that would be a major accomplishment by Kruger.

That sounds like an overly pessimistic veiw. Something along the lines of 16-14 to 19-11 regular season record would be a reasonable expectation. Outside of that range in either direction would be big news.

Last edited:

Gone: T.J. Taylor (transfer-Marquette)

pissed-o.gif

That sounds like an overly pessimistic veiw. Something along the lines of 16-14 to 19-11 regular season record would be a reasonable expectation. Outside of that range in either direction would be big news.

I'd call 16-14 "around .500," and I don't really see 19 wins in OU's immediate future. To achieve that you're going to need major contributions from players who haven't ever shown they can do it at the Big 12 level.

I'd call 16-14 "around .500," and I don't really see 19 wins in OU's immediate future. To achieve that you're going to need major contributions from players who haven't ever shown they can do it at the Big 12 level.

OU won 14 games with a bad coach and so little inside depth that Cade Davis was playing PF at times. Trading Ahmed, Hardrick and Thompson for Osby, Arent and Grooms is a clear upgrade. I don't think it is unreasonable to think that an upgrade in coaching and inside talent could lead to a 2 to 5 game improvement.

I understand why you might feel that way. But, from my perspective, most of the teams on the non-conference schedule do not have players that could make contributions at the big 12 level. So, there is no particular abundence of mis-matches there. And, as far as the conference schedule, they do get to play half of the games at home. Plus, a couple of the teams are probably in worse shape than OU. Relative to last season. This team has only an upside.

OU won 14 games with a bad coach and so little inside depth that Cade Davis was playing PF at times. Trading Ahmed, Hardrick and Thompson for Osby, Arent and Grooms is a clear upgrade. I don't think it is unreasonable to think that an upgrade in coaching and inside talent could lead to a 2 to 5 game improvement.

I agree.
With upgrades in Kruger/Osby/Grooms, and Clark/Fitz/Newell a year older and better, I expect us to be competitive with everyone in the conference except Kansas/Texas. Especially at home.

Trading Ahmed, Hardrick and Thompson for Osby, Arent and Grooms is a clear upgrade.

That seems obvious. Two of those three never played, and the third barely did. You could add the 6-8th man from any Big 12 team last year and it would be a major upgrade.

Throw Davis in there, though, and I'd disagree. Davis was by far your best player last year. You lose your leading scorer and rebounder, your #2 in assists and your top three point shooter... not to mention the intangibles. No one on your roster for next season has proven they can do what he did last year.

I expect some improvement, but not more than a few games. A 19 win season would likely mean a .500+ Big 12 record, and new coach notwithstanding, OU is still a program coming off 9 Big 12 wins in two years. You do have a few new players, but you also have a lot of the old ones. Your returning players are a year more experienced and should be better, but the same can be said about the guys every other team brings back.

Sawyer, you are representing your opinions as statement of fact. I get alot of blowback when people think that is what I'm doing. So will you. Other teams 6-8 would not be a major upgrade. It is much more likely that last season's bunch was pretty much on equall footing with the other teams 6-8.

#97, are you kidding me?

I think we are more than likely somewhere between 70-80.

First off, the Big 12 will not be as formidable as it was last season. KU, Texas, and KSU are not even close to what they were last season. OU has a good shot at beating those teams in Norman.

I do think Mizzou, Baylor, and OSU will be better, though. OU has a good shot at sweeping ISU and Tech, and will probably split the series with A&M.

Secondly, our non-conference schedule is much easier than last season's.

I think we will be 18-13, based on the fact that our front court has been upgraded, and I expect Cam Clark to cement himself as one of the best wings in the Big 12.

Our PG play should be improved, as well. I think Newell could be a guy who really elevates his game, too.

Sawyer makes it seem like the young guys who are returning are chopped liver. We have a very solid nucleus with Clark, Pledger, Fitz, and Osby. Not exceptional, by any means, but definitely good enough to hold serve at home against just about every team they face. A lot of high level teams wanted those guys out of high school.

Of course I am an optimist, but these guys should be improved substantially, and I think they will fit into Kruger's system better than Capel's, personally.

The 2 extra conference games this year may make the difference between 18-12 and 16-14. Losing 2 non-con cupcakes and NU and CU to pick up extra games with KU,KSU,MU and ISU is no bargain.

Sawyer, you are representing your opinions as statement of fact. I get alot of blowback when people think that is what I'm doing. So will you. Other teams 6-8 would not be a major upgrade. It is much more likely that last season's bunch was pretty much on equall footing with the other teams 6-8.

Hardrick and Ahmed played a combined 4 minutes in three games last year. Thompson played more but was out of the rotation by the end of
The season. So yes, every Big 12 team, OU included, had a better 6-8 than those three. Replacing them with anyone capable of playing at the Big 12 level (hell, at the MVC level) is an obvious upgrade. I'm honestly kind of shocked anyone would disagree with that.

If you disagree with my opinions, feel free to express the specific disagreements. I don't really need advice on presentation.

Hardrick and Ahmed played a combined 4 minutes in three games last year. Thompson played more but was out of the rotation by the end of
The season. So yes, every Big 12 team, OU included, had a better 6-8 than those three. Replacing them with anyone capable of playing at the Big 12 level (hell, at the MVC level) is an obvious upgrade. I'm honestly kind of shocked anyone would disagree with that.

If you disagree with my opinions, feel free to express the specific disagreements. I don't really need advice on presentation.

You presentation seems fine. It is your thought processes that I finds alittle dis-jointed. If you are saying that every teams 6/8 would be an upgrade over OU's 3 worse players, OK. If you were saying every teams 6/8 would be an upgrade over the players that were on the floor, no.

I don't think my thought process is the one that's disjointed. My point was pretty clear (both times).

I don't think my thought process is the one that's disjointed. My point was pretty clear (both times).

Who cares?

The person I'm responding to who brought it up, presumably.

Back